North America <> Europe SOTA S2S Party - 19th November 2016 1400 - 1700 UTC

Hi Rod - thanks for clarifying - we should be able to get an easy s2s on 2m too!

All the best
Martin

Thanks for suggesting it Martin; I will certainly give it a try.
Rod

I would caution EU ssb activators that the popular EU activating frequencies of 14.285 and 14.290MHz are often busy in NA so please be aware of this.

Barry N1EU

Hi Barry, they are often busy here in Eurrope as well - above 14.3 is often the best bet.

Now 41 summit activtions alerted - great stuff!

73 Ed.

I just arranged to change my day off this weekend to Saturday the 19th. Iā€™ll activate Cathedral Spires W0C/FR-187 near Buffalo Creek and only a few miles from my girlfriends house. Ill take up a Yaesu 817ND and an Alpha Delta 20M dipole.

make that 45 alerts :grinning:

2 Likes

46 :smile: - Iā€™ve just alerted for Corndon GW/MW-013.

Intending to start with an inverted V at the top of a nice incline. Max 5 W from FT817.

I might try other arrangements of wire depending on weather and desperation!

Adrian
G4AZS

1 Like

Still only 45 summits I think as there are two operators on one summit and both have alerted. (OE/OO-330)

Anyway - keep em comingā€¦

Ed.

I have a set of portable 20m phased verticals that would be perfect for this #peakparty. Just have to figure out if I can fit it in the schedule.

Hereā€™s a useful hint: when going away itā€™s useful to make a list of things that you need to take. Draw up the list over several days so you wont forget things. Then pack the items and tick them off the list. Easy, peasy lemon squeezy.

Hereā€™s a more useful hint: when ticking off that you have packed the antenna, do not tick it off the list then wander off for a cup of tea without packing it! :blush:

Only because I decided to throw the 12m GP in as well (weighs under 100g) did I notice I didnā€™t actually have any antennas with me.

:scream: Dā€™Oh :scream:

1 Like

I was amazed by the performance of my phased vertical antenna. I hadnā€™t expected such a large difference from front to back. I really ought to give the antenna another airing one of these days!

This is the article that I used for information-
http://www.eznec.com/Amateur/Articles/Simpfeed.pdf

Good luck to all!

Colin

1 Like

I am sorry I now canā€™t make the event on Saturday. Good luck to everyone and hopefully I can be around for the next one.

Nick

Weather forecast for Slovenia:
Before and after the weekend nice sunny weather. On Saturday and Sunday worsening weather with rain ā€¦:disappointed:.
I hope that our meteorologists interfere as political analysts on the other hand ā€¦:wink:

73 de S58R - Rado

Colin, thanks for posting the nice article. Iā€™m set for the antennas that Iā€™ll use for the big event, however Iā€™ll experiment with it afterward. Verticle antennas are a nice solution to the constraints we have with SOTA ops, theyā€™re quite easy to deploy. To get gain and directivity at the longer wavelengths is just magic.

Oh, that is virtually guaranteed Rado. I am pinning my hopes on an improvement on the forecast (below), but will be taking some form of shelter. After all, 3 hours or more on a summit is not a standard activation.

At least I get to stay in bed on this one - no need to leave home at 03:00 as usual. I plan to get home about 23:30. What you gain with one hand, you lose with the other. Just hoping that I can keep the kit dry so I donā€™t have to unpack it until Sunday.

73, Gerald G4OIG

North Yorkshire Moors weather from Metcheck.com looks like this. Hopefully its not as windy.

I used the Christman phasing similar to shown here, only I switch manually in the field instead of by relay. Two 1/4wave verticals 1/4wave apart each with 4 elevated 1/4wave radials. Phased 40M Wire Verticals ā€“ VA7ST.ca

Summit to Summit event now on RSGB News feed.
http://rsgb.org/main/blog/news/gb2rs/headlines/2016/11/11/summit-to-summit-event/

Heavy snow showers forecast for my planned areaā˜ƒļø I need an alternative!

Hopefully chasing will not be your only alternative.

My QTH is so low in a valley that I have to get out on a summit to really play HF. I can not chase from home.