North America <> Europe SOTA S2S Party - 19th November 2016 1400 - 1700 UTC

32 alerts already for the event! I wonder if that’s a SOTAwatch record for a single event :grin:

No - we got to 55 alerts for the VK-EU event last month (and then 73 summits actually took part).

Expect the number to rise quickly in the last day or two before the event when people know their arrangements better.

Ed.

Hi sota om’s!

Today I have tested my new design of Fuchs antenna with reflector for 17m band. Sort of beam HI. I’m very satisfied with results.

FT817 and 2,5 watts. Worked 5 DX. K, N stns.
12:28 [RBNHole] at W3UA 19 WPM 12 dB SNR

I hope we will have same or better band conds in our s2s party.

73 de s52ft, BostJan

In case some amateurs in VK can’t sleep, looking at the predictions, the SHORT PATH to VK from EU could open between 1200 and 1600 UTC on 15,17 & 20m, so who knows, perhaps some of the better equipped/located activators in Europe my be able to be chased from VK/ZL/JA.

Ed DD5LP

1 Like

Bostjan you make me curiuos. Could you please describe your antenna in more detail. Do you use vertical polarisation?

73, Peter
OE5AUL

Yes, vertical polarized. Almost HI. Parallel 2 wires 202 cm apart. Director 5% longer than
active element. Both wires hanging from rope running between two trees.
You can zoom it out here: http://lea.hamradio.si/~s52ft/pic/SOTA/PK-041_Aleksandrov_vrh/20161110_154724.jpg
and here: http://lea.hamradio.si/~s52ft/pic/SOTA/PK-041_Aleksandrov_vrh/20161110_154614.jpg

73 de s52ft, BostJan

something wrong with our links! its says its a malware

IDK why this happen :confused: . Im sorry. If you copy paste link into browser usually works ok.

Yes, the same happened for me - so here are the two pictures:

Thank you Ed!

I found the issue. Now links works ok.

sri agn for inconvenience.

73 de s52ft, BostJan

I am going to test band and place tomorrow from OH/JS-066 for next weekend. Here in Finland sunset is 13.39 UTC and ten minutes earlier week later. I will use both 14 MHz and 18 MHz with cw. I am also keen to know how dark is that time in forrest, perhaps head lamp is needed.

Let me know if somebody can here my signal in NA?

73, Saku OH2NOS

Alerts are now up to 34 (one summit with two operators, counted as 1 summit), still a week away. I wonder if we will beat the alerted 55 alerted summits and 73 activated for the VK-EU event? Considering both continents may have to deal with wintery weather I think the numbers so far are impressive.

Publicity is included on ARNewsLine, WIA News, RSGB News, Southgate and QRZ news, so perhaps there’ll be some interested new stations taking part (at least as chasers).

73 Ed.

Saku, sorry to say I had no copy 1308Z on 17M and no copy 1330Z on 20M in NY using 3-el yagi @ 19m. I easily heard the EU chasers on both bands though.

73, Barry N1EU

1 Like

No problems, Barry! And thank you for your feedback.

I remarked these same and I could not hear any NA stations. European stations game very loud. Based on DX Summit band condition was poor on 17m and fair on 20m. For me bands were good and well workable.

Now on OH/JS-066 is five centimeter snow and the place was light untill 14.15 UTC and then game dark. Next week should be warm (more than zero degrees) and I suppose the snow will smell and this means darker earlier. But no worries, I take head lamp for helping reading and writing.

73, Saku OH2NOS

Pictures taken at 14.15 UTC and then game darkness.

Hi guys!
Updating pre-planning activation I/LO-320 Palanzone.
With me there will be IZ2YWI and IW2ODU.
RTX: n. 2 Elecraft kx3
ANT: dipole bazooka, endfed and magnetic loop for 20mt.
Deltaloop endfed for 17mt.
Vertical bazooka and endfed for 15mt.
SUPPLY: lipo battery
We hope to hear lots of activators and chasers!!
73 de Roberto IW2OBX

Hopefully will be on G/WB-004 Titterstone Clee subject to wx. from sometime around 14:00
20m, 17m, 15m, possibly more,up to 100w GP antenna, if 40/60m for locals, then link dipole.
Will probably need to finish before 17:00 due to prior commitments :frowning:

Don
m0hcu

Great Don, when you’re not busy with the NA stations, perhaps we can manage S2S on 15, 17 and 20m from Bavaria!

73 DD5LP (G8GLM).

Hi there - count me in for Dundry Down g/sc-010
Martin, m0jea

Just for the record in case chasers and potential s2s activators get confused:-

M0JEA, Martin, as above and M0JLA, Rod on G/WB-021, Ruardean Hill

are both expecting to be active for this event.

Rod

We could more easily tell you apart if you had, er, different names or callsigns or something.

:wink: