North America <> Europe SOTA S2S Party - 19th November 2016 1400 - 1700 UTC

I realise we in Europe have the better local time window this time, compared to the VK-EU event where it was an early rise and (at least for me) a cold activation.
In the US and Canada the 1400 - 1700 UTC window equates to 0900 – 1200 on the east coast and 0600-0900 on the west coast. Nice to extend the activation into the warmer part of the day as Pete plans for inter-NA contacts.

By the way, my experiment on 15m two days agao had the EU-NA link already open at 1330 UTC (or possibly even earlier), so getting operational by 1400 UTC (or earlier) would probably be a good idea on the 19th. Then again propagation can be completely different on the day!

73 Ed DD5LP.

I would like to add to the conversation that I plan to be on a summit in Alberta on the morning of Nov. 19, Canadian weather gods permitting! Over the last week I have done a couple of activations later in the day and managed contacts in New Zealand once on 20m and once on 17m thanks ZL1BYZ. I was running 25 watts into an inverted V dipole. I have links for 20, 17 and 15m and I was planning on starting on 20m and changing the band up as the dawn develops.
I hope to talk to many of you on the 19th.
Ian
VE6IXD

4 Likes

Assuming transport, I’ll be joining in too. The last one was great. Didn’t manage a VK, but had some great contacts.

Not decided on a summit yet, but I’d imagine it will be a GW/SW…

Cheers, Ian

Fabulous photo Ian!

So it looks like I’m taking two antennas and two poles - 20m & 17m - on this event! I realise other options are available, but nothing I have tried beats the performance of single band resonant groundplane with vertical antennas at these frequencies.

Well, we’ll see - it might be raining or i could have a gig come in. As it stands through, I’m in. No doubt I’ll end up lingering a bit longer than the nominal 1700z event close though, as I did on the VK day. With any luck the path will be improving to the mid-west and west around that time.

That was half way up what I’m hoping will soon be a qualifying summit in Southern Brazil :slight_smile: it’s a little “oh errrr…” in places :slight_smile: in fairness, they weren’t joking with the “risk of death” on the sign.

Just need the full licence now so I can operate when I visit my family there.

Any advice on creating the 15 and 20m vertical antennas? Not something I’ve attempted yet.

Cheers, Ian

Hi Ian, the thread here:

could be of interest if you are looking to build a vertical antenna. This “J-Pole” design requires no radials and I worked from Southern Bavaria into the US and Canada using 5w of SSB on the 1st. Novemeber using a 15 metres version of the antenna.

Ed.

Count me in weather permitting, snow is OK, freezing rain is not OK. I’ll probably activate Vache Noire VE2/LR-017. Operations will be mostly 10W CW, alternating periods of CQ SOTA and CQ S2S, probably only two hours on the air this time of year.
73, Malcolm VE2DDZ

Something for next year Gerald - I wonder if we could do the NA-EU event in October like the VK-EU one - the reason? The majority of the mountain lifts in Bavaria shut down for maintenance before the ski season on about November 5th. each year. In some cases, such as the summit I am looking at for November 19th. they will “sometimes” run on weekend days if the weather is really good (and there are therefore lots of walkers wanting to use the service). Often however these services are time restricted, such as 10am to 3:20pm - which doesn’t help me with wanting to start an activation at 3pm local time!

While some may say, why not walk up the mountain instead of using the lift for part of the way, but in my case having the lift makes the difference between being able to activate a 6 (or more) point summit or only a 1 or 2 point summit.

In any case, mysearch is on for other summits, in the same area, so that IF a lift is running (and running until say 5pm) I might be able to get there and if not, I have a lower summit to fall back on.

73 Ed DD5LP.

1 Like

Thanks Ed, interesting antenna. I’ll dig out some RG58 later :slight_smile:

Ian

Yes, whatever people prefer. It would fit in well with the QRPTTF being in April so the two events are six months apart. The precise date would need to be arranged in agreement with the VK<>EU event, assuming that will continue…

I do not profess to be the architect of this event since I was only musing about the possibility after the VK<>EU S2S event and just happened to be the one to initiate the thread and then to move things on, suggest a date. I see it as being owned by us all. We need to get as many people as possible on to make this a success, both from an activating and a chasing point of view. What I see so far is very encouraging.

73, Gerald G4OIG

found this the other day, looks quite good and pretty easy to build. Might be worth a try for the NA-EU S2S event?
http://www.moxonantennaproject.com/ea2bd/EA2BD.htm
construciton document link on this page for those interested.
Anthony

1 Like

Yes, the Moxon is an excellent antenna, but for 20m it requires a 12m pole and I don’t fancy dismantling something that size in the dark on my own.

Hmm, looks like I’m with you on this one Tom. A pair of monoband 1/4 wave verticals. Have to find a use for that gash wire that is hanging around. :slight_smile:

Well it looks like my best option is to head to a different association on the 19th. Every summit I would have liked to activate in the (DL) Alpen regions has “revision” (maintenance) on its lifts from either the 5th. or the 7th. of November through until at least Christmas week.

So I’ll be heading over to the DM association and picking off one of the 10 pointer summits that I haven’t as yet activated. They’re 2.5 - 3 hours drive away from here but with not needing a lift, I am not constrained on access and being an afternon activation, I have time to arrive and set-up without rushing. So I just need to make sure I’m not snowed in here (snow is forecast for parts of the Alps this coming weekend).

73 Ed.

FWIW, I plan on using a 44ft (NorCal) doublet hung inv V style from a 33ft pole, fed with balanced (window) line thru a 4:1 balun into the ATU of my KX3 which will put out 12-15W. The summit has a good downslope toward EU.

73, Barry N1EU

Does it have to be two poles? Twin wire for vertical and radial(s), tune the shorter one first then trimming a bit off the longer one to bring it to resonance should have little effect on the shorter one.

Brian

The jury is still out on what I will eventually take Brian. Having it all on one pole does have the advantage that there is less to take down in the dark. Like Tom, I expect to be hanging on for the guys out west.

I am considering taking my LDG auto-ATU which is rated at 30W so the antenna system is a guaranteed match. Running the 857D at 30W out would extend the battery life - worthwhile as this would be against a loss of less than half an S point relative to my original proposal for 50W. Things will no doubt firm up during the week running up to the event.

Gerald G4OIG

Yeah, I didn’t see that. Although a 17m vertical moxon would fit onto a 10m pole.

How about DM/BM-356 Hainsberg? It’s about 1.5hrs for you and looks easy access to the summit. The aerial pictures show some reasonably clear areas in the trees as well. You could do me a favour whilst there and pop over to Ingolstadt and ask Audi to explain why they fitted a stainless steel exhaust to my car (which is immaculate after 50k miles) and used mild steel clamps and fittings (which rusted through after 50k miles) leaving me to get new clamps fitted. Grrr!

… should have bought a X-drive… BMW!! HaHa :wink:

I like being able to pull out of junctions or turn right (left in the case of LHD cars) across oncoming traffic which is why I don’t have a BMW.