No Higher or Steeper just yet

Activation Reports for a couple of 1 point North Wales summits

GW/NW-053 Moel Gyw 15/09/2010

Following on from my minor operation on the heel, I saught permission from both my Physio and GP who agreed this would be good leg stretching so long as I took my time.

So setting off in plenty of time,as this and the other later in the day are close to home QTH. Traffic was reasonably quiet as I arrived at Clwyd Gate park spot. Leaving the car with the wind howling but looking like it would stay dry. Last time I went up this one I found it steep and long walk up to trig, this time no such problems. Following well defined path to signpost then turning sharp left to top,arriving in the ferocious wind I set up quickly and sat with the trig giving me some protection.

I had posted that I would be experimenting with an FT290R and 25 watt amp that I had tweaked,but then realising I had not put the correct battery connections on the amp. The wind was too much to start messing with connections so just decided to run with the rig power and see how it goes. after some shouting I decided to self spot and “Ol faithful” G4USW came back with just a 5-1 both ways. 4 more on 2m ssb all went quiet so switched to 2m fm and got 6 more calls in the log. The best contact of the day was G0TRB who was coming in on back of beam with a 5-7 giving me a 5-5 report.(well done to the nearly antique radio). 11 contacts in total and with the wind still not easing. I decided that 4m fm could not be started today as the pole in that wind would probably cause problems if I put it any higher. Enjoyed my slow descent looking at the wonderful views from such a short hill.

After driving to the next park spot, in the true spirit of a “EYP” activation, I had a flask containing Baxters Carrot and Butterbean soup which was surprisingly hot since I had heated it at 7am and it was now 12 midday. warm and very welcome it was too!

GW/NW-076 Mynydd Y Cwm 15/09/2010 The QTH Locator for this is IO83HG if the admin team can add it to the Summits details page after verifying it??

This was planned to be done only if I felt OK from 053 earlier,which I did. Parking in the spot at the start of the path and following it up(not really up much), reaching the fork to go left and then watching for the path off to the right,finding it with ease. Reaching trig stone pile,and finding remnants of a fire,no doubt this hill is used by local youths to have a party on. I don’t remember the two crosses being here last time,and I am surprised the well constructed and engraved one has survived any vandalism. Not expecting too much off this one with its tree cover and not good take off,I set up with beam just below branches above,only about 8 foot off the ground. again a bit of calling on 2m ssb with no reply, so self spotted and our good friend G6ODU came right back. 2nd in the log was G4BLH who I had not heared for some time,good to hear you up there Mike. G0TRB came in 3rd. Best contact of the day was g0WTD, Tom in Bolton area giving me 5-9 both ways,I suspect it was his 9 ele beam that done the trick. Quiet on ssb so switched to FM and after a good 5 mins of calling with no comebacks decided they were all having their dinner so dismantled everything. THEN I discovered why no comebacks on fm, again connection problems, the centre coax alligator clip had come apart with the coax not making contact and I am glad I was only giving 2.5 watts into it. again I thought shall I get my HH out,but decided I had done enough to qualify,sorry to anyone waiting for me on 2m fm. simple descent back to car and analysing that this was a good leg stretch today and hopefully will get to full fitness soon.

Thanks to all who did get me and again experiment went well for radio so it could certainly come up some more hills with me.

Best 73

Tony

FB Tony. You’ve whetted my appetite to visit these hills again. They definitely make a nice day out.

FB on the soup! I once left the flask in the hall when leaving for an activation on a Saturday morning. I ended up having it for lunch at work on the MONDAY - and it was still piping hot. These stainless steel litre flasks are superb.

Itching to get out again.

Tom M1EYP

In reply to M1EYP:

The smaller Marylins in the Clywdyian range (Moel Gyw, Penycloddiau and Mynydd y Cwm) really are an excellent day out. Nice gentle walks, good views and a healthy ham population density nearby to make handheld VHF activations easy.

I did them with Brian G4ZRP this July and we had a great time although the photos suggest we were not amused. Don’t know why we were wearing such scowls! Even the odd drop of rain didn’t spoil the fun. The flies in the trees on Mynydd y Cwm were a real pain though.

I wonder if it’s possible to bag the whole of the range in one day? Moel y Gamelin, Cyrn-y-Brain, Foel Fenli, Moel Fammau, Moel Gyw, Penycloddiau and Mynydd y Cwm?

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to MM0FMF:

Tom, yes Flask worked well yesterday and soup was most welcome after the howling winds blowing through my 3 layers.

Andy, I am privileged to have all these NW’s so close to home, I think you would have to be some activator to do all of those in one day!!

Good luck if you want to try it!!

Rain stayed off until I got home and The flies are always worse up 076 when its damp!!

Tony

In reply to MM0FMF:

I wonder if it’s possible to bag the whole of the range in one day?
Moel y Gamelin, Cyrn-y-Brain, Foel Fenli, Moel Fammau, Moel Gyw,
Penycloddiau and Mynydd y Cwm?

Only one person could be so audacious.

Richard
G3CWI

In reply to G3CWI:

Only one person could be so audacious.

I get an idea of who you are thinking of Richard, but I can think of quite a number of others that are easily capable of doing the feat. The limiting factor could be restricting the QSO tally on each summit. More challenging would be doing them within a restricted time period using just public transport - would that appeal to your ecological senses?

73, Gerald G4OIG

In reply to G4OIG:

I can’t remember how long it took me to do Moel y Gamelin. But I went and added up all the times Anquet said, added in setup and takedown times for a simple setup (2m SSB/FM only with something like an MFD), driving times plus times for some food and drinks. Then added in some minimal operating time, about 15mins for each summit. The whole shebang came to around 14hrs.

Spending the night at the Ponderosa car park to guarantee an early start and also getting some chasers on standby coupled with a date anytime from May to September would guarantee enough light.

I don’t think it’s impossible but I’m not sure I would find it so enjoyable. There’s multiple activations and multiple activations. I tend to set out for a good walk now rather than trying to knock off many summits but it all depends on preferences and situation. I know that with the distances you have to travel, multiple activations are essential. But for those of us in the luxurious position of still having uniques to activate within 100 miles then it’s less of an issue.

Even though I thoroughly enjoy SOTA and amy walks, I think I’d get bored after the 4th or 5th summit! Perhaps I have no staying power?

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to MM0FMF:

Spending the night at the Ponderosa car park to guarantee an early start and also getting some chasers on standby coupled with a date anytime from May to September would guarantee enough light.

Starting on site would be a fine thing… surely you have to work your way up to these things and drive for 3 or 4 hours before ascending your first summit. :wink:

I know that with the distances you have to travel, multiple activations are essential.

Preferable for getting maximum value for money, but not entirely essential, after all I did a single summit yesterday which entailed a 450 mile round trip!

I think I’d get bored after the 4th or 5th summit! Perhaps I have no staying power?

I’m sure that you’d cope with it. I’ve done 6 SC’s in a day, considerably more widespread than the Clwydian range and still found it enjoyable… and that despite it being dark for the 5th and 6th activations - well, it was mid October. None of them were smash and grab activations either… as if I would!

73, Gerald G4OIG

In reply to G4OIG:

Congratulations Tony & getting the OK from the doctor for some more activating, I know how much you were hoping for it :slight_smile:

It really puts me to shame that people with obvious mobility problems can activate summits, but my excuse is that my weekends are already full & I don’t get any time off work. Hi!

By some miracle, I have managed to get a whole week off starting today so I really must put more effort into activating :slight_smile:

Ah yes, The ponderosa!

I spent a very cold night up there several years ago trying to get some sleep in my car. Why, when all around Lancashire & Cheshire it was a lovely warm day, was there two feet of snow in places around the Ponderosa!

A cold night, but happy memories :slight_smile:

Another dual activation is certainly fine by me Tony :slight_smile:

Best 73,

Mark G0VOF

In reply to G0VOF:

Hi all,

Last time I did Cyrn Y Brain it was two foot of snow that had fallen the night before on the Ponderosa,all the way up was the same and if you see my pic on Flicker,the cairn too was sort of under snow.

Thats what happens when trying for the 3 extra winter bonus points HiHi.

Next time I am out will be in December doing SP-002 & SP-008 for the winter bonus(fingers crossed)

Mark if you fancy one of those to do with us,SP-008 is an easier walk-in HiHi

Tony