No CEPT for ZB2!

I agree this illegal operation was obviously an oversight from Markus, however the risk of having equipment confiscated and suspecion of smuggling when crossing the Spain/Gibraltar border with radio gear and no valid Amateur radio (Gibraltar) Licence - is real - it is documented on the GARS website. Gibraltar Amateur Radio Society

Lets hope the HF operations didn’t interfere with the UK Forces operation on the rock of Gibraltar - it’s unlikely at the powers and antennas that we run.

I remember once (several years ago) I spent a very uncomfortable 10 minutes with the Spanish Customs at Malaga Airport. I was carrying a Yaesu FT901DM transceiver and was on a direct flight from London to Gibraltar. Due to bad weather at Gibraltar, the flight was diverted to Malaga and all the passengers were dumped off at Malaga Airport for onward transportation by bus to Gibraltar. This was in the days before Spain was a CEPT signatory, so I would have needed a Spanish reciprocal licence to bring the transceiver into Spain. I did not have one. And there were Customs complications as well. :frowning: The Customs Officer was not best pleased, but eventually let me go, muttering “No es correcto!!!”

Is this a foretaste of what we may have to expect when the UK leaves the EU?

P.S. As I was walking away, I noticed that the passenger behind me had opened his brief case to reveal about 200 BNC connectors in cellophane wrappers. I did not hang around to see what happened to him!

Walt (G3NYY)

No. We are leaving the EU not CEPT.

Quite so. Therefore there could be serious Customs implications when taking radio equipment abroad.

Walt (G3NYY)

Unlikely.

Take EA8. Part of the EU. Except it is and isn’t. Politically it is but it is outside of the EU customs arrangements. That’s why they do have real duty free in their airports and you are limited to 1L of spirits per person when returning to the UK.

EA8 as part of Spain is part of CEPT. There is no customs problem taking radio equipment out of a non-EU customs area (EA8) in to the EU customs area (UK) at present. There should be no problem taking radio equipment out of a non-EU customs area (UK) in to the EU customs area (DL say) in 2019.

Not the best example. EA8 is not member of EU VAT System, but it is member of EU Customs Union.

Despite being members of Custom Union, some countries retained the right to regulate cross-border trade of some goods that they keep monopoly on (e.g. tobbaco, alcohol) or in some other way (e.g. cars).

In my opinion Walt’s fear is founded, just don’t believe that customs officers will bother for clearly used stuff (I have some experience with that from before 2004 when S5 joined).

To be honest, from what I saw in this thread, I had no idea.

Great. thank you for info.

Sounds good to me.

Only if he had no valid license, which we still do not know for sure. Of course there are some strong indications that this was not the case.

You’re correct. I should know to check “facts” from Wikipedia! Looking at this there a plenty of the sites saying it isn’t and more saying it is but there some Canary Islands government sites that explain the actual picture. The tax laws explain why I can buy a bottle of Scotch Single Malt from the duty free shop for a 1/2 the price it costs in the UK even allowing for the fact it’s been shipped 3000km!

Application Form for Amateur Radio Reciprocal Licence
https://www.gra.gi/download/449/402af.pdf
→ Wow, they also ask EQUIPMENT DETAILS (Make, Model, and Serial No.)

Information Sheet for Reciprocal Radio Licence
https://www.gra.gi/download/907/401cfg.pdf
The Reciprocal Licence will permit the holder to transmit on the following Amateur Bands

(a) 70cm (430-440 MHz)

(b) 2 Meters (144 MHz)

(c) 4 Meters (70–70.5 MHz)

(d) 6 Meters (50 MHz)

They need the equipment details for the licence because the licence is used by Gibraltar customs to allow you to import and export the equipment. The website says it’s an offense to bring Amateur radio gear into Gibraltar without a Gibraltar licence or reciprocal licence.

They do that in Malta too. When I took my TS690S to Malta, they wouldn’t let me take it away from the airport until it had been inspected by an official of the Maltese radio licensing department! They also wanted to see my reciprocal licence.

Walt (G3NYY)

Hi John
Gibralter do not issue reciprocal licences for the HF bands - hence my conclusion that this was in fact an illeagal operation although caused through a misunderstanding (or not realising that Gibraltar is an exception to other EU countries).

The activation is now deleted. Only 2 by ZB2GI/P in the DB. So it seems it was not a correct one.

It was a misunderstanding.

The MT has dealt with the matter and the subject is now closed.