Nice Charging Solution for 2S LiPo Batteries

Hi all:

Many of us are using two-cell LiPo batteries for QRP rigs, e.g. single cells or Camcorder/Cellphone cells with some protection circuits. Unfortunately, all suitable charging solutions I knew of are pretty bulky. Now, when searching for a new solution, I found this product:

It seems to be a charger with balancer circuit for two LiPo cells. The charging current is 800 mA, which should be reasonably fast for most cells.

What I find extremely appealing is that it is powered by a MicroUSB connector, so you can use your iPad or other 2A USB charger and spare an extra AC adaptor.

I ordered a sample and may be able to report my experiences here.

Maybe this link is useful for others - I had been searching for something like this for ages.

73 de Martin, DK3IT

2 Likes

Hi all:

Just a quick update: I recently got two pieces of this nice, tiny 2S charger. I just put it on my lab bench and am currently charging a 2S 1000 mAh lipo package.

A few things I observed immediately:

1. The PCB is really small and fragile. For my new tiny GoBox project, I designed two 3D-printable parts that distribute the pressure from the mounting holes on a bigger area of the PCB. The holes are 2 mm in diameter with only 0.5-1 mm material left on the outer sides. If you are interested in the parts, please let me know.

2. The wires attached are 0.36 mm in diameter and IMO too thin for the 800 mA charging current. I replaced them with somewhat stronger ones.

Will share my experiences from the first charge cycle tomorrow.

73 de Martin, DK3IT

I can confirm it works like a charm.
Martin