New summit website pages

http://tomread.co.uk

My website now has new pages, reports and photos on for:

Gyrn Moelfre GW/NW-049
Mynydd-y-briw GW/NW-060
The Wrekin G/WB-010
The Cloud G/SP-015
Shining Tor G/SP-004

Among the highlights are Jack G(M)4COX on The Cloud, Baz 2V0YVX and Steve MV0VFR on Shining Tor and Jimmy attacking the all-you-can-eat buffet in the curry house after Mynydd-y-briw.

Also a reminder that the gallery of SOTA QSL cards has now been published - some FB designs by fellow SOTA activators around Europe.

Tom MV1EYP

Oh my goodness. Look how long it is since I updated my website. Looks too big a job now to be honest. By my calculations, I have 10 months, 180 activations, and 27 new uniques to add to being my SOTA pages up-to-date.

I’ll make a start…

Tom M1EYP

Cheers, ly to M1EYP:

[snip]
I’ll make a start…

A selfish Please do! I found your website to be one of the most comprehensive collection of information when planning my assault on UK summits earlier this year. At least the uniques need adding :slight_smile:

Cheers,
Andrew
VK3ARR

In reply to M1EYP:

Looks too big a job now to be honest. By my calculations, I have 10 months, 180 activations, and 27 new uniques to add to being my SOTA pages up-to-date.

Simples. Concentrate on the Uniques! Ignore The Cloud and Gun and any of the popular summits you’ve recorded before. I’m sure we can live without knowing what flavour of soup you took up Selworthy Beacon or Mwdwl-eithin on your latest outing. Anyway, you have done a lot of the ground work reporting on the reflector for the GW/SW and GI/MM summits… yes, forget activating for a week and you’ll have it sorted. What’s that, you’ve got a gig coming up and have to practice each night? Lame excuse… :wink:

73, Gerald G4OIG

Thanks Andrew for the encouragement.

Sorry Gerald, WHEN I get round to it, it will continue to be comprehensive and complete. No way will I ignore non-points scorers or non-uniques. Too many decent photos and interesting stories to tell. Well, they’ve already been told on the reflector, but I like to collate them into one place.

I’m sure we can live without knowing what flavour of soup…

I’m sure you can. But I don’t think I can - sorry. Groundwork is done as you say, just need to do a load of copying and pasting, with a bit of indexing.

forget activating for a week…

My activity is suddenly very low after the end of the 12m Challenge. I have several things in mind for the summer holidays though. I have suddenly lots of other non-activating demands on me though.

What’s that, you’ve got a gig coming up…

'Fraid so. Got a series of shows in Blackpool over the summer. Sight-reading job though, so not too much in the way of practice required! So hoping to be out and about with Liam and Jimmy in between shows, and of course updating that website…

Tom M1EYP

In reply to M1EYP:

I’ve still to try soup on a summit. I used to take Earl Grey Tea. I’ve had to dunk my Mars Bar into the hot tea on many occasions to make it soft enough to bite!

I’ll give soup a bash when it get’s a bit colder.

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to M1EYP:

Time… it is a cruel trick Tom. It gets faster the older you get. It now takes me a fortnight from the time I get back from an outing to the time the report is written and ready for publication. To think that not that many years ago Paul and I used to hit the Welsh summits on a fortnightly basis and I managed to get the reports out in a couple of days.

Interested to hear about the gigs. I have not done any practice for a few months now, so I am well rusted. I did get the Les Paul out of its case a few weeks back, but something intervened and it went straight back from whence it came… one of those extraneous demands created by a third party - the trouble is, I cannot remember what! Time was…

73, Gerald G4OIG

In reply to G4OIG:

I did get the Les Paul out of its
case a few weeks back, but something intervened and it went straight
back from whence it came…> 73, Gerald G4OIG

Hi Gerald
I am a Strat. man myself. I still manage to practice every day even after 45 years of playing in Bands! But, I am now retired.

Regards
Barry

In reply to MW0IML:

Ah well, my LP is a few octaves down… just like my EB0. Just a raw beginner here as life intervened. Too many other things to do…like SOTA! :wink:

73, Gerald G4OIG

In reply to G4OIG:

I know the feeling: I hardly ever touch my sax or clarinet now. I can still think wonderfully intricate improvisations but the fingers have got too stiff to bring them into the real world. Still, it was fun while it lasted!

Given time for a fair bit of woodshedding, I reckon we could get together a SOTA band to be reckoned with - but I would balk at DJs up a high mast (is that video still on U Tube?)

Brian G8ADD

In reply to G8ADD:
Hi Brian

Good name for a Sota Band… The QRM’s

Barry

In reply to MW0IML:

Or the Summiteers!

Brian G8ADD

In reply to G8ADD:

The Scalers

:o)
Adrian
G4AZS

In reply to G4AZS:

Summit Or Nothin’

(A SOTA band would be interesting… /me goes to practice his scales on the keys)

In reply to VK3ARR:

In the early days, the SOTA website had a theme tune that played if you clicked the logo:

73 Richard G3CWI

In reply to G3CWI:

AARGH!

I used to play in a Concert Band that had the suite from the Sound of Muzak as a staple of its repertoire and grew to hate it - though I still love Coltranes My Favourite Things recorded live in Berlin.

Brian

First new set of activation photos for “rather a long time” now up on my website:

Esgeiriau Gwynion GW/NW-031

Navigate via the SOTA index on http://tomread.co.uk

More new pages coming soon!

Tom M1EYP

In reply to M1EYP:

MM0FMF/P on Beinn an Dothaidh GM/CS-025

I wonder what the propagation mode was?

I’m sure I’ve already asked that question

Andy
MM0FMF

Yes, you did. I just found it by searching for that two-word phrase in the Reflector archive.

OK, next one is done - Great Coum G/NP-011 from last October. While I am doing these, I am updating all my repeat activations of the local summits as well, but I’ll not keep mentioning that - unless there are new photos to report.

In reply to VK3ARR:

I have a Yamaha bass guitar which I cannot play…but we already have a bass player (Fellow CW enthusiast Tom M1EYP).

Picking up that guitar I imagine for me, is similar to starting to learn CW for many folks… I just can’t bring myself to do it as I know I would need at least 30 mins a day for months to grasp basic playing. Just like learning the Morse to a basic level.

I imagine there are many good guitarists on the SOTA Forum who can’t do the CW. That’s life…horses for courses… Meanwhile the bass guitar sits on its stand in my dining room purely as an ornament…

73 Phil