New SMP alerts mapping page

Just spotted this Rob - really interesting. Thanks!

Tom, you’re welcome! It’s nice to see people - and especially MT members :smiley: - taking an interest in the page.

73, Rob

Very neat.

I find it helpful to see where the activators on the non-VK peaks will be found.

Thanks

Ron,
VK3AFW

YES I do like this one can run it in the background of my TRX Manager Software.
Nice Thanks (Dow) W4DOW # 1 Chaser in W4V

Thank you Rob, really great !
73 Alain F6ENO

Ron, Dow, Alain: you’re all most welcome! Glad you find the page useful.

73, Rob

The SMP alerts page has now been updated to include a couple of new filters to further limit the listing of alerts to those of especial interest to the user. Filters are as follows:

Mode:

• All modes
  • CW only
  • CW plus other modes
  • voice only
  • voice plus other modes
  • data plus other modes

Bands:

• All bands
  • HF only
  • HF plus other bands
  • VHF only
  • VHF plus other bands
  • UHF only
  • UHF plus other bands
  • GHZ plus other bands

Hope this can be of use,

Rob

Hi Rob,

What a great idea - and hey I can’t find any faults in this code as I did a browser and ISP cache refresh HI.

One question the HF++ (or HF + other bands) option - what are the ‘other bands’ please?

73 Ed.

Hi Ed, I knew somebody would bring this up… :slight_smile: . Taking the HF options as an example,

• all - means activations on any and all bands will be shown.
  • HF only - this means that ONLY those activations (alerts) which are exclusively to be conducted on the HF bands (160m - 10m) will be shown;
  • HF plus other bands - this means that activations (alerts) which are to be conducted on the HF bands (i.e. where the alert mentions that one or more HF bands will be used), in addition to any other band, will be shown;

The same logic applies to the other bands and mode filters.

Just try them out, and you’ll see the differences…

Rob

P.S. Ed - I left a couple of bugs in there for you to find :wink:

OK, understood - so someone alerting that they will be active on 7MHz SSB and 145MHz FM would be an example of HF+other bands.

The period I chose did not have any HF & VHF alerts in it, hence the reason I didn’t see this.

OK, gone hunting for the bugs you put in there “especially for me” HI

Ed.

Excellent - a great help visualising the dx possibilities around grey line propagation. I did have to CTRL-F5 on my Chrome browser to see the new options. Great job, Rob.
73 Andrew VK1DA/VK2UH

Yes, this is one of the (many) banes of a web programmer - for most people, pressing CTRL+F5 (or Apple+R, etc.) is not an immediately obvious solution for updating a page view when that page has been extensively reworked. Especially when the user has no idea that the page HAS been reworked. So it’s often the case that a number of users of the page will not see the new work until… until the web browser crashes? Who knows…

But radio hams are tech-savvy sorts, so they already know these things. Right? Anybody?..

Rob

2 Likes

Rob,

my job is in SAP portal configuration and testing etc. Ctrl-F5 is routine for me when I suspect underlying changes have been made. Browsers make almost too much use of cached data. At work I try to disable caching of pages from internal servers. Anyway, I really like what you’ve added to the SMP pages. Great functional improvements.

73 Andrew VK1DA/VK2UH

I was, in one of my many guises, a Baan developer, so I’m familiar with ERP systems. SAP is of course, streets ahead of its’ competitors…

Thanks for the flowers there, Andrew. It’s a shame, though, how few people actually use the “other” pages (i.e. the non-“main” pages) in the SMP, considering how much sheer bloody effort goes into them. Having said that, though, I do enjoy the freedom to create tools which may be considered useful; and I consider it a necessary act of charity to offer these few paltry gifts to whomever may wish to make use of them. Atonement for my many sins, one might say…

Open source, free of charge; that’s the way to go.

Rob

1 Like

A small update to the page - the alerts data are now stored for a further 6 hours beyond the current UTC time instead of closely following the SOTAWatch approach, which is to discard anything previous to the current UTC time. This therefore allows alerts to still be visible in the SMP alerts page, even though they have apparently “timed out”.

This is done for two reasons:

• it’s often the case that an alert will be posted with a +/- limit on the posted alert time to allow for unforeseen delays, so an apparently timed-out alert can still represent a valid activation;
  • it allows spots information to be incorporated into the alerts list - at the moment this consists of a spot icon in the list if a spot has been registered, plus a list of which OM’s spotted the activation in the alerts list tooltip.

To view these “timed out” alerts, simply activate the “Show expired alerts” checkbox above the list.

Rob

Another option to reload from the distant server is to hold down the shift key and press the refresh symbol in your browser. This is a little easier to remember than CTRL+F5. Without the shift key, the page is reloaded from the cache store, and only from the remote server if the page is no longer in the cache on the PC or at the ISP.

Ed.