New member. Some questions

Hi All,

I’m a new member from Aus. Name is Josh, VK3XJM.

I was looking through the rules and it rules out using a motor vehicle to get to the summits which is fine, but I was wondering would it be considered “cheating” if I were to ride horseback to the summits where such an activity would be allowed?

I’ve been looking for quite some time for an activity that can combine both Amateur Radio, The horses (We own 3) and something that my girlfriend/partner can do together that’s not “boring radio stuff”

Also, is it possible to set this reflector to email out in a similar manner to a mailing list, I don’t mean the daily digest update, but an email on each new post/topic?

Cheers,
Josh
VK3XJM

In reply to VK3XJM:
Access on horseback is unmotorised, so go for it.

73 de Wayne VK3WAM

In reply to VK3XJM:

Josh, activating on horseback has been discussed before & it seems it`s ok.

http://sotawatch.org/reflector.php?topic=5087#41571

In reply to VK3XJM:

Riding and pack animals are all OK, as are bicycles as long as they are not powered.

Although I am Moderator I honestly don’t know the answer to your second question, I suggest that you contact Jon GM4ZFZ via the “About” button on our website: if it isn’t possible now, we are discussing improvements to Sotawatch so your query might put it on the agenda!

Brian G8ADD

In reply to G8ADD:

No worries. Now I just need to get back in the saddle (no pun intended) before trying a ride to a summit, and fix the horse float!

I was thinking I might try an activation this weekend, It’s only a 1 pointer but it’s easy to get to, with about a 15 minute walk.

If I’m going to do an activation do I just post an alert on the page, and then go out and do the activation?

In reply to VK3XJM:

Yes, Josh, just post details on the Alerts page and hopefully some chasers will be waiting and one will “spot” you to attract other chasers.

You need 4 contacts to qualify the SOTA, but these stations do not have to be registered chasers, they can be any station calling CQ, contest etc.

For info regarding your local conditions contact your association Manager. Wayne VK3WAM. e-mail address in SOTA NEWS (in Green at the top of the Reflector)

Roy G4SSH