New Associations and Updates 1st November 2015

It’s always rewarding to everyone involved when we see people actually out activating the summits.

I was talking last night to a keen SOTA dude and already I’ve discovered I’m not the only person planning 2016 SOTApeditions! The guy I was speaking to was planning SOTA activations in OK, OE & DM for 2016. I know I’ll be in Berlin in October 2016 (should I still be alive and kicking) and it seemed a waste to not bag somewhere which seems terribly exotic to me and that’s a summit or 2 in Poland. Growing up in the 70s when the political situation was very different in Europe, the thought I would be able to wander about in forests and on mountains in Poland (or anywhere else in Eastern Europe) was just inconceivable. Now it’s trivial.

All I need is an overriding business reason for my employer to need me at our main offices in W6 land for a few weeks…

2 Likes

Yep! Both Mirko (9A/S52CU/P) on 9A/ZH-002 and Marko (9A/S57MS/P) on 9A/ZH-010.

1 Like

I did go out to W6 last year on business, for a total of 4 weeks. Only problem was I’d not operated SSB or out portable for that matter and didn’t take any radio equipment!

What a shame :frowning:

Yes Karl I believe so. No need to scream :wink:
Mike

1 Like

I managed both 9A stations but I was unable to log Marko on 40m, can’t understand why when the other summit in the same association was logged without a problem.

Looking forward to working more new associations :slight_smile:

73 Mick M0MDA

1. List item from

9A/ZH-010 is not valid until 1-Jan-2016

Until then it is S5/GS-005.

Ok, fair enough Andy. Thanks for the information.

Hi Mick,

There were actually three 9A activations - I missed the alert for the third one - 9A/S57MS/P Marko on 9A/ZH-030.

Noted what Andy has said - shame that the spot and alerts program don’t highlight the invalidity of a summit code - I guess we’ll have an error when we try to enter the contact with Marko and need to substitute S5/GS-005. Shame I thought I had a new association for my Mountain Hunter list in a day. Have to wait for another 9A summit to add to Mirko’s activation of 9A/ZH-002 then. Shame I didn’t get 9A/ZH-030 today!

Just spotted this remark and thought I’d alert you and others to the fact that the SMP spots and alerts pages DO highlight invalid summit codes, and have done for quite a while.

Spots page:

Alerts page - in this particular instance, an alert was posted for OE/TL-O25 (with capital letter “O”) instead of OE/TL-025):

…but it has to be said that very few people use these pages…

Rob

Morning folks

if this is invalid summit as till 1st jan 2016

how come i can put it into my log ( now removed ) for testing .

and its shown as activated on the summits

http://www.sotawatch.org/summits.php?summit=9A/ZH-030

And why so jan 1st is border being changed or something

thanks again

Karl

[quote=“M3FEH, post:50, topic:11894”]if this is invalid summit as till 1st jan 2016[/quote]The summits 9A/ZH-002 and 9A/ZH-030 are valid from November 1st 2015, but the summit 9A/ZH-010 is not valid until January 1st 2016.

Right thanks for that

Any reason why delay till new year for that one

Karl

It’s a summit on (or very close to) a border, so at a guess, it being exactly the same summit as S5/GS-005 (which is valid at present), there’s an S5 revision due, and it has been decided that in future that summit will be considered to be in 9A/ZH, but untill the revision of S5/GS happens it remains in that list, and so is not yet valid in the 9A/ZH list.

So, do an activation over UTC midnight at New Year, and you could go up S5/GS-005 and come down 9A/ZH-010. (Having looked at the location, this is probably, in practice, a Bad Idea…)

1 Like

I have to admit I didn’t even know that SMP displays spots Rob!

So many 'little gems" in the one program!

Ed.

1 Like

Hi Ed, I managed to work Marko on his second summit in 9A :slight_smile: