'Near Vicinity'

The rules are not rocket science guys. The more able bodied you are then the more active you should be.

Yes, there are summits where you can drive into the AZ, or get a cable car right into the AZ, or get a train into the AZ. Out of the 69000 summits we have so far (Jim and the team are working on adding another 10000 summits in Asia), you could activate every drive on summit, every cable car summit etc. and you still wouldn’t be able to get to MG in a year.

The number of summits which are easy because you don’t need to put much effort (as an able bodied person) is so small that it’s not worth fretting about.

3 Likes

The rule says:

3.7.1.3 3. Operations must not be in, or in the close vicinity of a motor vehicle. No part of the
station may be connected in any way with the motor vehicle. However, the use of a bike (non-motorized) or animals to enter the Activation Zone is permitted.

The older version says:

3.7.1.3 The method of final access to the summit must be non-motorised. Operations must not be in, or in the vicinity of a motor vehicle. No part of the station may be connected in any way to the motor vehicle.

The rule was re-worded to indicate that a degree of separation was needed, “close” was put there to cover the car-park situation, and to imply that somebody using a handy and sitting on the bonnet of the car would be breaking the rules. Has this been done? Yes. Have people broken the rule by operating from inside the vehicle? Yes, on more than one occasion. Many of the rules are closely specified because there are people who will happily bend them to breaking point and swear blind that they were following the rules! Incidentally, vicinity itself is vague which is why it was qualified with “close”, some people would regard a mile as the vicinity!

If Mt. Dale can only be activated from the car park (there are other summits elsewhere like that) then you accept the situation and operate as far from your car as the parking area permits. We don’t expect miracles, only that you consider how the “Golden Rule” interacts with the site conditions and do your best.

Brian

I think this is where the concept of not entering the Activation Zone by motorised means was introduced. The principal wording is open to “entering the activation zone” in any manner, but this comment about bikes being permitted, after a “however” suggests that other methods are not permitted. The obvious unpermitted method being a car, by implication. Yet we now know that using a car to enter the Activation Zone is actually ok.

It’s a good example how a well intentioned qualification can confuse the orginal intention.

Andrew vk1da

You are, of course, entitled to your opinion, but there are other matters too pressing to permit revisiting the GR.

Brian

[quote=“VK1DA, post:23, topic:10803”]It’s a good example[/quote]…and of how some readers of the rules will infer all sorts of stuff from what’s not said. :wink:

[quote=“VK1DA, post:23, topic:10803”]not entering the Activation Zone[/quote]In that specific case, I suppose something like “reach the station location” might have been closer to the intention?

…and, I guess, that’s why lawyers are so fond of using all those archaic phrases that have been tested in courts through the centuries, but mean nothing to those not schooled in their use. Ah well… :wink:

73, Rick M0LEP

Hi Brian

Thanks for the info and all understood. My understanding was that if no part of your station was to be in contact with the vehicle that that would include you the operator. I can see from your reply why it was included. The rule probably could be worded better but at least I know the reasoning behind it and thanks for explaining that. I’m sure it had more than me wondering.

John VK6NU

If you are less than 50M from your car I think you should add a clause requiring crawling over broken glass just to make it a bit harder…

Kidding of course.

Can’t we just agree that “being sensible” and sticking to battery power and not connected to your vehicle is enough. Simples (sorry UK TV advert reference).

I quite like that sometimes I could drive to the top of Great Orme and be on air in 5 mins, then the next week be in Scotland and take 12 hours of cycling and walking, round trip, to (maybe) get 4 points. That’s the joy of SOTA, lots of different possibilities. Vive la difference.

3 Likes

A very small proportion of summits have this potential issue. On many summits, I have had a different problem…

We all need a “Kitt” at some time (apologies for anyone who hasn’t seen the programme Knight Rider). I have often wished my car would go and park itself up in a suitable lay-by or side road after dropping me off at the most convenient place to start the ascent. :wink:

5 Likes