National Ham Fest Friday 30 Sep 16

Is anyone from the NE of England planning to go to this and fancy sharing transport (maybe even grab a quick activation somewhere on the way back)? I’m not sure it sounds worth making the journey by myself but happy to either drive or contribute to the journey.

I also need someone to mutter @you don;t need it@ whenever I pass a shiny new base station radio.

Andy, I can’t guarantee to be there to help out. However, you could seek out another SOTA operator… he or she will guide you straight past the shiny new base station radios to the 817s, KX3s, etc. :wink:

73, Gerald G4OIG

Andy, Carl 2e0hpi from Hartlepool was asking the same thing but from a passengers point of view on the WAB facebook group. I think he reads this site as well.

Thanks Steve, I’ve worked him but never met. I’ll try and contact him

Ahh Gerald even I can’t pretend to need another SOTA rig (a new handy perhaps with APRS/digital ? Hmm :smirk:)

I don’t need a new base station, but it is my birthday soon!

Hi Andy, not the “real” NE but will be travelling to Newark from Yorkshire with my brother. Unfortuntely no spare seat though as the main purpose of going to Newark Ham Fest is to sell some radio and electronics gear, so the back of the car will be full on both days.

As for that new HT, the Kenwood TH-D74E looks nice, but expensive (around €720) for a dual-bander (of course it’s a tri-bander (with 220MHz) in the states, then the price is a little more justifyable).

I wonder if any dealer will have the new TYT MD-390 DMR HTs - at €169 for the 2m version and €199 for the 70cm version, both with FM, DMR and APRS built-in seem a little more affordable. Then I hear Baofeng have released a €69 DMR HT! - that all being said, I already have 3 HTs that never get used these days…

Hope to see you at Newark.

Does anyone know if there will be a SOTA stand?

73 Ed DD5LP.

They’re not on the current clubs list but I’m sure they’re usually there.

http://www.nationalhamfest.org.uk/clubs/

Me too albeit within sight of Teesside. I keep looking at the digital sets, but knowing my luck I’d buy the Betamax version! I don’t think the Kenwood’s on my list at that price for a handy.

Hope to see you there Ed.

1 Like

I don’t think there has ever been a SOTA stand at Newark.

“SOTA” (sic) is there in the list of Traders Attending…

Maybe you’ve been attenuated Richard :slight_smile:

73 de Paul G4MD

I too cannot recall seeing a Sota Stand at the Hamfest in previous years, but perhaps I have been blinded by all the shiny new rigs that are on display, I will look at them but keep the moths in the wallet.
Cheers Ken G0FEX

There is no SOTA stand at the hamfest. I’m assuming the SOTA in the traders list is Richard’s company Sotabeams.

I think you can pay on the gate for direct entry still ? tickets have obviously sold out now.

I will be in Cambridge by then, not sure if I will be going up on my own or with others yet. It does seem to be mostly black box rig sellers though, which doesn’t interest me at all frankly.

Jonathan

Yes, pay at the gate is still OK.
There are usually plenty of stalls outside to find that great used bargain.

Well They’ll be at least one stall as my brother G8DCD and I will have one - if you want to make that an unofficial SOTA meet-up point no worries except we don’t know exactly where our “plot” is yet. I could raise a SOTA flag on a mast I suppose…

73 Ed DD5LP / G8GLM.

I was probably thinking of Blackpool! There will be one or two SOTA collectors on or around the WAB stand, including Ken G0FEX and myself, but don’t let that put you off!

1 Like