Name those English marilyns game

Found this little game to play :wink:

No cheating or using lists.

Notice Wendover Woods has been moved to East Anglia :frowning:

Roger G4OWG

140 :frowning:

13 of the 38 I missed were hills I have activated for SOTA.

Skiddaw is the name give correctly most often, while Firle Beacon, Burton Hill, Brighstone Down and Seager Hill are the most ā€œmissedā€ according to the site statistics.

Tom M1EYP

I got 138 out of 178 marilyns.

Jimmy M3EYP

165 out of 178 on my second attempt. Struggling mainly with the LD, SB and SB summits that I havenā€™t activated!

What a silly game.

Tom M1EYP

In reply to M1EYP:

SB summits

Peel Fell SB-004. A Scottish summit that is currently located in England. Time to adjust the border methinks. Weā€™ll have The Cheviot as well and get those silly 8 points devalued to something more sensible for the effort involved!

:slight_smile:

Andy
MM0FMF

Having walked 260 miles from Edale in Derbyshire to activate The Cheviot, I do believe I deserved every one of those 8 points!

Tom M1EYP

In reply to MM0FMF:

Peel Fell SB-004. A Scottish summit that is currently located in
England. Time to adjust the border methinks. Weā€™ll have The Cheviot as
well and get those silly 8 points devalued to something more sensible
for the effort involved!

Oi, hands off! Youā€™ve too many summits in the GM/SS area anyway, so trying to bag a couple more is just greedy. My vote would go for relocating the border at least 1km further north around these summits so that in the future we have no issues as to which country youā€™re in - besides itā€™s only down to your unruly and lawless Reivers that the border is as far south as it is!

73, Gerald

Iā€™ve now got 153 out of 178 English marrilyns.

Jimmy M3EYP

In reply to M1EYP:

Having walked 260 miles from Edale in Derbyshire to activate The
Cheviot, I do believe I deserved every one of those 8 points!

Surely there must be a parking place nearer than that or were they all full on the day you went there?

Peter

G1FOA

Iā€™ve now got 167 out of 178 English marilyns.

Jimmy M3EYP

In reply to MM0FMF:

Depends which bit of Peel Fell youā€™re on!!!

Iā€™m ashamed to say I couldnā€™t even remember all the SBs and I live here!!

I agree with Tomā€¦silly game

Rob

Iā€™ve got all the english marilyns correct within 15 minutes of the game.

Jimmy M3EYP

Show off. Right, war is declared. QRX.

Tom M1EYP

In reply to M3EYP:

Iā€™ve got all the english marilyns correct within 15 minutes of the
game.

Congratulations on proving that learning by rote works! :wink: I got about 30 when I tried. There again I only go up the English ones when Iā€™m travelling through.

I did think about what the results for the Scottish test would be with there being over 1200 summits. But itā€™s easy because you can apply some Gaelic knowledge to the names.

i.e.

1. The name will probably start with Ben, Beinn, Meall, Carn, Sgurr, Stob, An, Am, Stac.
  2. Then you need a colour: Dearg, Dubh, Odhar, Liath, Ruadh, Uaine, Geal, Gorm Glas, Bhuide.
  3. Then a name of a person or animal or place
  4. Possibly a size modifier: Mor, More, Beag.

From there you pick one of 1,2& 3 possibly with one from 4 and youā€™re done. That cookbook should give you about 70% of the names.

If only I knew how to pronounce them correctly!

:slight_smile:

Andy
MM0FMF

173 out of 178, in 17 minutes. :frowning: This is ridiculous, why am I getting competitive against something I know full well canā€™t be beaten - ie Jimmyā€™s memory???

Tom M1EYP

Weird or what? You morphed my post Richard!

I wrote:

Must admit the very idea of working through 178 summit names made my eyes flutter and for one split second they almost shut!

73, Gerald

Your reply:

Been there, done that. No T-shirt though.

Richard
G3CWI

178 out of 178 in 12 mins and 1 second.

Over to you Jimmy!

In reply to M1EYP:

Now whoā€™s verging on OCD? Sounds like you need to get out up a hill as wellā€¦ and the sooner the better Iā€™d say! Oh no, not The Cloud again!!!

73, Gerald

Iā€™ve not done it yet this year. Youā€™ll not begrudge me my point would you? Oh, you probably would being a 100% uniques chap. Me? OCD? Glass houses and throwing stones springs to mind :wink:

The deciding factor will be whether I can avoid rising to the bait if/when Jimmy beats my time!

Tom M1EYP

11 minutes and 43 seconds, and I promise never to play that game again.