My First Ever SOTA Activation Today!

Well after a longer delay than I had originally hoped for, I finally got around to my first ever SOTA activation today, & only on 2M & 70cm.

I decided on G/WB-004 after seeing alerts from others who might possibly be in range for a S2S attempt, I was not disappointed, in all I managed to log 5 S2S in total, the first contact in my activator log was Viki MW6BWA/P on GW/SW-011 the Sugar Loaf on 70cm & again later on 2M, she sounded quite busy but unfortunately I could not hear some of the contacts she was working.

The furthest S2S for me today was Peter GW1FOA/P on GW/NW-051 at 92KM on 2M, I didn’t think that was bad for my small handheld radio & a wire J-pole antenna.

Other than the S2S’s I struggled to get very many contacts with just 10 in total for the day, still as it was my first attempt I was quite happy not to have a great pile up to deal with.

The weather was reasonably kind, well, at least it stayed dry, if a little cold in the wind & some snow on the ground still, I was tucked into the rocks behind the trig for the activation which was a nice sheltered position & even the sun showed its face briefly which was quite unexpected but welcome non the less.

I had plans to do a second summit but time slipped away from me & so it was just the one for today, but it has wetted my appetite for further SOTA activations.

Thanks to everyone for the contacts today & I wish you all the very best.

Neil

10 Likes

Hello Neil,
Well done on your first activation. No chance on my H/H in East Sussex but perhaps later you may venture onto 40m.
In any event good luck.
Cheers
Mike

1 Like

Congratulations and well done on your first SOTA activation. Be careful though - the SOTA spider will already have started to weave its web around you and draw you in.

Catch up on the hills one day soon.

73 Glyn G4CFS

2 Likes

Hi Neil

Glad your first activation went well, and thank you for the S2S.

73s

Adrian G(W)4AZS

1 Like

Hi Adrian, yes, thank you also for the S2S today.

I checked my station log on returning home & we have indeed worked previously. I chased you on the 29th February when you activated GW/NW-049 & also GW/NW-046 & also previously to that on 11/01/16 when you were on G/WB-005.

So thank you for the points & I hope to work you again soon.

And thanks to everyone here for the kind words, I look forward to contacting some of you in the future.

Neil

Hi Neil nice to work you and welcome to the SOTA fraternity but beware it is addictive!

Peter
G1FOA

1 Like

Thanks Peter, & it was good to work you again today from home, I hope you had another successful day, & have an enjoyable weekend coming up.

Neil
M6NSV