My Activator Uniques/My Chaser Uniques: suggestions wanted

I recently enhanced the My Uniques display on the database. This was based on requests from Rod M0JLA and I think that for activators the changes are an improvement as there is more functionality. I made the same changes to the Chaser display to offer the same extra functionality. I also made one other change which was to limit the number of summits displayed to a maximum of 500. This was for operational reasons. Some chasers are getting very big unique counts and displaying all the uniques on one page was bad as it required significant amounts of memory of to generate, process and display. It’s ok if there was only one database user but the database app has to serve multiple concurrent users and I am fairly sure that a significant number of requests for a big unique display at the same time would cause memory issues. And anyway, it’s not a good idea to have unbounded limits to the number of items being displayed.

Having played with this, I think the overall usability for chasers has been reduced. I’ve received a few comments asking for the old unlimited display to be reinstated. Well I cannot do that for the reasons already given but I am prepared to try to add something to improve the usability to where it used to be. My idea is to add a “Have I chased/activated this summit” feature. My thinking was to display a box into which you type a full or partial summit reference/name and hit search, much the same as the Find Summit feature ( SOTA Database ) The page would show all summits you had chased or activated that matched the search string. This would save having to search through pages of summits in a chasers case.

That’s my take on how to restore the usability but if anyone has a better idea or suggestion well now is the time to let me now by commenting here.

Note there’s no timescale for this yet but sooner rather than later is my aim.

One word. BRILLIANT!

While you are doing it could you add a “not” tick box to invert the search so a user could do a search like “All the G/WB summits I have not chased”?

73, Colin

…and while at it, maybe allow exactly the same for activations: list all the G/WB summits I have (not) chased / activated ?

1 Like

I am not sure if this follows with what you are asking, but I would like to be able to search activators by how many summits they were the first to activate etc.

I know this can be done now with some work, but first time summit activations are truly “unique”.

Mike

OK I think I can better fit that onto the “My Activator/Chaser Regions” page. That current shows which regions you have in your log, the number of summits done and the %age complete. An extra column in those rows could be a “details” link that expands the summit list for that region showing activated/chased summits and the ones remaining. It would work in the way the “Show Log” link works when you view your personal activation/chase honour roll page.

1 Like

This looks quite easy TBH. The “my xxxx regions” returns an association/region code and I can use that to produce a list of distinct summits.

e.g I took Jurg HB9BIN as he has activated in many regions and here is his list of activated regions.

regioncode
CT3/MI
DL/AL
DL/AM
DL/CG
DM/BM
DM/BW
DM/HE
DM/RP
EA6/MA
EA8/FU
EA8/LA
F/AB
F/JU
F/VL
F/VO
G/DC
G/SC
GM/CS
GM/ES
GM/SI
HB/AG
HB/AI
HB/AR
HB/BE
HB/BL
HB/BS
HB/FR
HB/GL
HB/GR
HB/JU
HB/LU
HB/NE
HB/NW
HB/OW
HB/SG
HB/SH
HB/SO
HB/SZ
HB/TG
HB/TI
HB/UR
HB/VD
HB/VS
HB/ZG
HB/ZH
HB0/LI
I/VA
LX/LX
OE/TI
OE/VB
OK/KA
ON/ON
PA/PA

I was able to get this list of summits activated in HB/ZH easily. It shows the first time each summit was activated. It only took 11 lines of SQL.

CALLSIGN	ACTDATE		SUMMMITCODE	SUMNAME
HB9BIN/P	09/11/2011	HB/ZH-003	Hörnli
HB9BIN/P	10/05/2011	HB/ZH-004	Bachtel
HB9BIN/P	26/12/2011	HB/ZH-005	Stoffel
HB9BIN/P	10/07/2011	HB/ZH-006	BĂĽrglen
HB9BIN/P	26/12/2011	HB/ZH-008	Schauenberg
HB9BIN/P	18/12/2010	HB/ZH-009	Ăśetliberg
HB9BIN/P	22/11/2010	HB/ZH-010	Lägern
HB9BIN/P	09/03/2011	HB/ZH-011	Pfannenstiel
HB9BIN/P	30/06/2011	HB/ZH-012	Aeugsterberg
HB9BIN/P	26/02/2012	HB/ZH-014	Buechemer Irchel
HB9BIN/P	23/12/2010	HB/ZH-015	Altberg
HB9BIN/P	26/12/2011	HB/ZH-016	Tämbrig
HB9BIN/P	15/02/2012	HB/ZH-017	In der Platten (Schöfflisdorf)
HB9BIN/P	10/03/2012	HB/ZH-018	Brandegg
HB9BIN/P	10/05/2013	HB/ZH-019	Schneitberg
HB9BIN/P	14/03/2015	HB/ZH-020	Batzberg

So this really will be simple to get onto a webpage for anyone who needs it.