Hello Peter (and Sylvia),
Many thanks for a new activation today and also for the QSO. Yes, our signals were really good both ways today.
I made a new modification to the antenna yesterday and I immediately experienced a great reduction in QRM, thus enabling me to copy weaker signals which were not copyable before and also enhancing the overall performance of the antenna. I got a RBN spot of 20 dB from the skimmer WZ7I in Pensilvania (USA) on 20m last night and this is something I hadn't seen before with this setup.
The change was something I had been thinking on for some time but I hadn't yet found the chance to do it. My wife was out on a business trip yesterday and most of the day today, so I found my chance.
The change consisted on the removal of the recycled plastic cage with the 9:1 un-un in it (originally a turtles food pot) off the balcony metal fence.
It is now tied to the end of one of those 2 recycled UHF TV yagi antenna booms, which I still have around. This UHF yagi antenna boom is now attached to the balcony fence and the plastic pot with the antenna wire coming out from it are well away from the steel balcony fence.
Chasing has been a lot of fun today with this improved antenna and you can size how fun it's been by looking at my today's chaser log:
Some of these were easy to chase getting them on my first call, but some others were really hard to chase and I had to wait until the end of the pile-up while praying for the propagation conditions to last a bit longer and the QSB to give me a good boost.
The icing on the cake today was TF3DX/P and this was one of the hard ones for whom I had to wait to the end of the pile-up and the QSB made me fear that I would not copy him by the time the pile-up was over. It fortunately was not the case and I finally chased him.
I'll be looking forward to chase you again soon.