[editted to add some more pictures]
As I anticipated in my previous post, I was preparing a sloper type set up for my endfed in order to keep the wire as much away of the balcony steel fence as possible.
Mi idea was to use a small ring I found screwed on the very corner of the balcony ceiling.
With the help of a 3 m telescopic fishing pole, in which I had removed the 2 last thin sections in order to have a more robust not so flexible tool, I managed to pass a cord through the small metal ring screwed in the balcony ceiling and I used it to hang from it the copper wire of the endfed antenna.
I also moved the feed point up to the top left part of the balcony steel fence, so the endfed wire comes out of the plastic turtle food pot and goes upwards to the metal ring screwed in the balcony ceiling corner, then it goes down gently sloping to the end of a 2.5m telescopic fishing pole placed horizontally in order to keep the endfed wire away of the building and finally hanging down about 2.5 meters vertically with a small weight tied to its end.
Unlike you will see in the attached picture, the telescopic fishing pole wasn’t finally attached perpendicular to the bulding façade. It was finally placed with an angle to the right in order to keep the hanging down part of the wire away from the balcony of my neighbour living below.
In the following image you can see the new shape of the wire.
I’ve tested this new configuration today and I had the feel that the received signals were in general notably higher than with the previous configuration. I have even copied JA on 30m with very good signals.
I’ve managed to chase 3 SOTA activations:
- one on 30m CW - DL4CF/P activating DM/TH-066
- one on 20m CW - HB9AXL/P activating HB/NE-007
- one on 40m CW - DD7II/P activating DM/BW-639.
The permanent S8 QRM I had during the weekdays on 40m and seemed to disappear yesterday afternoon, was not there yet today and that’s why I managed to hear and chase DD7II/P.
Let’s see if the QRM comes back on Monday.
At the moment, I have not a counterpoise for this antenna. Despite the instructions saying that this antenna doesn’t need one, as long as a 5m long coax is used because coax braid acts as such counterpoise, I can tell you that I’ve noticed that the endfed antenna I use for my SOTA activations, which is exactly as this one in the balcony, works better with a counterpoise wire.
Next thing I want to try is connecting the whole steel balcony fence as it was a counterpoise wire. I hope it will work fine and it will very likely be connected to the whole steel structure and the ground of the whole building. I’ll let you know my findings.