Other SOTA sites: SOTAwatch | SOTA Home | Database | Video | Photos | Shop | Mapping | FAQs | Facebook | Contact SOTA

MW-032 Upper Park

This summit appears to suffer from an extremely low activation count. Is there some an obvious reason for this like private land access issues, a GOML with a gun, awful ground etc? Or is it just a summit that few have bothered with?

I’ll be down in England again this weekend and was looking for some uniques to tick off hence the query.

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to MM0FMF:

If I remember correctly this one is on very private land!

Brian G8ADD

In reply to MM0FMF:

Its on Private land Andy, not sure but it may belong to Powis Castle estate. Search the RHB site, theres lots of postings about it. Seems permission is never granted if asked for and there`s a very enthusiastic game keeper. I activated early morning. Can be paired with Y Golfa which is opposite but mind the flying golf balls.

Hi Andy,

Upper Park GW/MW-032 is on private land and it is owned by the Powis Castle estate. When ever my Dad M1EYP asks for permission to walk up this summit he always gets refused permission. This summit is the only remaining SOTA summit in GW that Gerald G4OIG and Paul G4MD need to activate. Apparently the Powis Castle estate occasionally gives to permission to walk up Upper Park GW/MW-032 if it is a charity walk. I would like to activate this summit myself at some point.

Jimmy M3EYP

OK then, seeing as the issue has been raised…

This is a sought-after summit, both by chasers and activators due to its rareness. As mentioned, its rareness is due to its location on private land and the fact that written requests are always refused.

The last time the estate manager replied to me, he did mention that requests have been granted, very occasionally, in the past for charity events. Therefore, at some point in the New Year, it is my intention to write to him again with a proposal for a group activation on a particular date (most probably a Saturday) that would be linked with some charity fundraising. I would leave the decision of whether the money raised should go to the individual activators’ nominated charities, or good causes local to the Powis Castle Estate (of which Lord Powis may be a trustee) up to them.

So that is the outline plan at present. Would those interested in activating on an agreed date please say so on this thread, and offer any ideas on how we can use the event to raise money for charity, be it one agreed charity or several linked through each participant.

In order to keep the discussion focused and the suggestions realistic, I would suggest that only those intending joining in as an activator should make suggestions about fundraising - as they will be the people who will need to do the asking and collecting.

Tom M1EYP

Hi Dad,

I would be interested in activating Upper Park GW/MW-032 on an agreed date. I don’t have any ideas yet on how we can raise money for a charity. I think it would be a good idea to make this thread a sticky thread.

Jimmy M3EYP

In reply to M3EYP:
Hello All

Just a quick note, I help out with JOTA, last year the Scout group I worked with did a sponsored QSOathon - So somebody would pay 10 pence per QSO the scouts had for example - I presume you could do something with this one!

Get people to sign up and say they will pay ‘X’ amount of money per QSO over a period of 1 hour etc! So if its 2m FM you could rack up a good 40 QSOs in a hour - at 10p per QSo you get 4 pounds. You could sponsor more for S2S etc!

This could encourage more people on, and of course with many actiavtors up there you could use so many different bands - It would be ace to chase the hill on 23cm FM!

The scouts had about 80 QSOs on 80m over the weekend (all at a lesuirely pace) and the dontaions were in the regions of 10p to 50p! Worked well from what I heard!

You could donate the money to the Powis Castle estate and a radio charity such as RAIBC - Then it makes SOTA look good for both the Hill walking (Powis) and the Radio world RAIBC.

Of course others will come up with ideas so it will be interesting to hear - I will definetly sponsnor somebody if they run 23cm FM with a decent Antenna!

There is my two pennies - Excuse the pun

Matt G8XYJ

Do I take it that you wish to join the activating party then Matt?

Tom M1EYP

In reply to M1EYP

Hi Tom,

Too early to say, the oppurtuity to chase will be enough for me!

We need to get Mr VHF/UHF up there, I am sure OIG will be up for it! 23cm S2S!

Matt G8XYJ

Hi Matt,

I’m sure Gerald G4OIG will be with the activating party on Upper Park GW/MW-032 as this is his only unique he needs to activate, to activate all the SOTA summits in GW. I will probably be activating Upper Park GW/MW-032 on 2m FM.

Jimmy M3EYP

In reply to M1EYP:

This is a sought-after summit, both by chasers and activators due to its
rareness. As mentioned, its rareness is due to its location on private land and
the fact that written requests are always refused.

It seems 'WSB had no difficulty in activating it last summer. Perhaps he can advise us on how to obtain permission?

Walt (G3NYY)

In reply to M1EYP:

Would those interested in activating on an agreed date please say so on this thread

Put me on the list please Tom. In addition to any sponsorship arrangement, I would myself be willing to make a reasonable payment to charity to be allowed to activate and qualify the hill. Obviously for me it is a major priority, but do any other activators feel the same way in order to get it off their list?

I would suggest that only those intending joining in as an activator
should make suggestions about fundraising - as they will be the people
who will need to do the asking and collecting.

Agreed Tom, but I would hope that chasers would be willing to donate a small sum to work the summit. Could this be one aspect of how we raise funds?

I would think that if the sponsorship money went to a charity that the landowners nominated, then they would be more likely to support the proposal. If we water it down by giving to a multitude of our own charities, they will not be able to see what we have achieved… and in this I am thinking of a possible repeat event carried out by the SOTA activators of the future. We need to make this count.

73, Gerald G4OIG

In reply to M1EYP:

Hi Tom

Upper Park is the nearest summit to home I’ve not yet activated so could I book a place?

Carolyn

In reply to G4OIG:

but I would hope that chasers would be willing to donate a small sum to work the
summit. Could this be one aspect of how we raise funds?

I’m just trying to calculate how many cans of worms this proposal opens up!

Suffice it to say, I’m totally opposed to any such idea. It would turn SOTA into a money-making venture, open to all kinds of corruption.

Walt (G3NYY)

In reply to G4OIG:

Hi Gerald

I will see you on 23cm FM then Gerald - S2S!

Matt G8XYJ

In reply to M1EYP:
Yes please Tom for 1 place. I would pledge to RAIBC www.raibc.org.uk/ for instance.
David M0YDH

In reply to G3NYY:

I’m totally opposed to any such idea. It would turn SOTA into a money-making venture, open to all kinds of corruption.

I don’t understand the logic there Walt. SOTA would make no profit out of this, nothing whatsoever financially. The giving would be totally to a charitable cause, which to my mind can’t be a bad idea. I am often asked for donations in the street and give whenever I can. On this occasion I’d actually get something back for my giving.

Anyway, all I am suggesting (and I accept that you may not like the idea) is that some chasers might be willing to put their names down as sponsors.

73, Gerald G4OIG

In reply to M1EYP:
I’d like to join in with the activation if I’m free on at the time. I agree that a donation to Powis castle and an Amateur radio charity would be best.

Roger MW0IDX

In reply to All
Hi Tom
I would like to come along and would have no issue making a donation to charity to be able to do so. I would need a decent bit of notice to arrange the time off work - even at weekends. We could always set up a ‘justgiving.com’ site where donations could be made by both activators and chasers. I would suggest to a charity of the estates liking. Pity people think to restrict access to a bit of land tho…

The danger here, is that this turns into a jamboree. I suspect the amount of activators who have put their names forward so far, is just tip of the iceberg. After all, who knows when the opportunity to activate such a rare summit may come along again?

It may well be the case, this will have to come down to a ballot, with “all” those names wishing to activate the summit, going into the hat.

Mike
2E0YYY