Mt. Burdindogi EA2/NV-051 by EA2IF/P on 12/01/2019

As I explained in this preplanning thread,
>Como expliqué en este hilo de discusión de preparación,
[SOTA and birthday celebration on 60m - 5354 KHz]

On January 11th I wanted to celebrate my 54th birthday by activating SOTA on 60m for the 1st time in my life and using the frequency of 5.354 KHz.
>El 11 de enero quise celebrar mi 54 cumpleaños activando SOTA en 60m por primera vez en mi vida y usando la frecuencia de 5.354 KHz.

I chose 5354 KHz because it’s one of the few common frequencies for those countries under WRC15 and the UK allowed channels on that band and also because that day I ended being 53 years old and started being 54. 53–>54, 5354 KHz :wink: :blush:
>Elegí 5354 KHz porque es una de las pocas frecuencias comunes para los países bajo WRC15 y los canales permitidos en el Reino Unido para esa banda y también porque ese día yo dejé de tener 53 años y empecé a tener 54. 53->54, 5354 KHz :wink: :blush:

Well, couldn’t make it on the 11th, but this morning of the 12th, I woke up at 6h00 utc, left home at around 7h00 utc, drove the 28Km towards the North
>Bueno, no pude hacerlo el día 11, pero esta mañana del 12 me levanté a las 6h00 utc, salí de casa a eso de las 7h00 utc, conduje los 28Km hacia el Norte

to the starting point which you’ll see in the image below by the road NA-2520.
>hasta el punto de salida que verán en la imagen debajo junto a la carretera NA-2520.

That is the GPS track I followed and I was starting the hike by just 4 or 5 minutes after 7h30 utc.
>Ese es el track GPS que seguí y ya estaba empezando la subida cuando faltaban 4 ó 5 minutos para las 7h00 utc.

It was very cloudy and the temperature was 0 degrees C.
Soon after having started the hike I had this view towards the East where some traces of snow could be seen in the mountain across the valley.
>Estaba muy nublado y la temperatura era de 0 grados C.
Pronto después de haber empezado la subida, tuve esta vista hacia el Este donde podían verse algunos rastros de nieve en la montaña al otro lado del valle.

I also found some fresh soft recently fallen snow on my way:
> También encontré en mi camino algo de nieve fresca y blanda recientemente caída.

As I was going ahead, which meant upper North and higher a.s.l., I was finding a bit more snow on the ground,
>Según seguía avanzando, que significaba más al Norte y más alto sobre el nivel del mar, iba encontrando un poco más de nieve en el suelo.

This is where the final ascent to the summit started.
>Aquí es donde empezó la ascensión final hacia la cima.

As I was getting closer to the summit, there was more snow on the ground and even some small flakes of snow were being released from the clouds.
>Según me iba aproximando a la cima, había más nieve en el suelo e incluso algunos pequeños copos de nieve se escapaban de las nubes.

And after 1h 35 minutes hiking, the summit was reached. There is an ermitage there and the summit is a nice open wide area, perfect for extending my 21m long wire as an inverted vee for my operation on 60m.
> Y tras 1h 35 minutos de subida, alcancé la cima. Hay una ermita allí y la cima es una bonita, amplia y abierta superficie, pefecta para extender mi cable de 21m de largo en V invertida para mi operación en 60m.

I hiked with my SOTA hat, 3 t-shirts superposed, one of which was a long sleeved one and 2 trousers superposed. Once in the summit I put on all the warm clothing I had with me, which meant 3 more layers on my body, plus a scarf, a wool hat and the hood of one of the fleeces I had put on.
>Subí con mi gorra SOTA, 3 camisetas superpuestas, una de las cuales era de manga larga y 2 pantalones superpuestos. Una vez en la cima, me puse toda la ropa de abrigo que tenía, lo que significó 3 capas más en mi cuerpo, más una bufanda, un gorro de lana y la capucha de uno de los forros que me había puesto.

I set up and sat down on a rock where I had previously cleaned out the snow.
As soon as I was about to start my activation, the small few flakes of snow scarcely falling, suddenly increased in size and density. I immediately understood this was going to be an express activation.
>Monté la estación y me senté en una roca en la que había previamente limpiado la nieve. En cuanto estuve listo para empezar mi activación, los pequeños pocos copos de nieve que estaban escasamente cayendo, súbitamente aumentaron en tamaño y densidad. Inmediatamente comprendí que esta iba a ser una activación exprés.

I was not sure how many skimmers there would be on the 60m band and where they would be located, so I wasn’t certain that RBN would pick me up and SOTAwatch would spot me, so I sent a whatsapp message to my ham friends informing of the frequency and begging for a spot.
>No estaba seguro de cuántos skimmers habría en 60m ni dónde estarían ubicados, así que no tenía claro que RBN me copiaría y que SOTAwatch me espotearía, por lo que envié un mensaje por whatsapp a mis amigos radioaficionados informándoles la frecuencia y pidiéndoles un spot.

I finally decided to CQ on 5.35455, as this is exactly my previous age, my current age and my next age: 53, 54, 55. Isn’t it cool?
>Finalmente decidí llamar CQ en 5.35455, pues esta es exactamente mi edad anterior, mi edad actual y mi próxima edad. No es guay?

Ignacio EA2BD was my first chaser and he raised a spot for me. Thank you muy friend.
With the snow falling, I was worried for my rigs and I had them covered with the isothermal plastic bag where I always have my SOTA kit in inside my rucksack, so all the signal reports I gave were guessed without seeing the S-meter. My log was also starting to get a bit wet, but even though, my pencil kept writing OK.
>Ignacio EA2BD fue mi primer cazador y él me puso un spot. Gracias, amigo mío.
Con la nieve cayendo, estaba preocupado por mis equipos y los tenía cubiertos con la bolsa de plástico isoterma en la que siempre tengo mi kit SOTA dentro de la mochila, así que todos los reportes de señal que di fueron imaginados sin ver el S-meter. Mi log también estaba empezando a humedecerse, pero aún así, mi lápiz siguió escribiendo bien.

I only logged 8 QSOs, 3 of which were with members of my EA ham friends whatsapp group, one was a S2S with Fabio IK2LEY/P in I/LO-212, then 3 Swiss stations and 1 from the UK.
After my 3rd QSO I was called by Phil G4OBK. He was strong and clear for me, but I came back to him several times and he never seemed to copy me due to QSB.
>Solo anoté 8 QSOs, 3 de los cuales fueron con miembros de mi grupo whatsapp de amigos radioaficionados, uno fue un Cumbre a Cumbre (S2S) con Fabio IK2LEY/P en I/LO-212, luego 3 estaciones Suizas y una del Reino Unido.
Tras mi tercer QSO fui llamado por Phil G4OBK. Llegaba fuerte y claro, pero volví para él varias veces y él núnca pareció copiarme por culpa del QSB.

Well, this is the full log:
>Bien, éste es el log completo:
imagen

And this is the S2S log:
>Y éste el log S2S:
imagen

With the rush due to the snow fall, I had to QRT and dismantle quickly, so I forgot taking any pictures of my setup. Sorry.
>Con la prisa por la nevada, tuve que hacer QRT y desmontar rápidamente, así que olvidé tomar una foto de la estación montada. Lo siento.

It was a brief activation but it was a good one for me to qualify and complete my birthday celebration.
>Fue una activación breve, pero fue suficientemente buena como para poder obtener los puntos y completar mi celebración del cumpleaños.

Thanks dear chasers for your calls and QSOs.
>Gracias estimados cazadores por vuestras llamadas y QSOs.

I’m afraid I won’t be able to repeat such a celebration until the year 2036, when I’ll be 71 and I’ll be able to celebrate it by activating SOTA on 7.07172. At that time, my previuos age will be 70, my current one 71 and my next one 72. Will it be on SSB or still CW? :wink:
>Me temo que no podré repetir semejante celebración hasta el año 2036, cuando cumpla 71 y pueda celebrarlo activando SOTA en 7.07172. En ese momento, mi edad anterior será 70, mi edad actual será 71 y mi próxima edad será 72. Será en SSB o todavía en CW? :wink:

Guru

9 Likes

Hi Guru

Great report (and thanks for the dual langage format). Congratulations on finding a way to celebrate this birthday on such a good frequency. And on completing the activation despite the impending snow.

73 Andrew VK1DA/VK2UH

1 Like

Hello Guru
Thanks for this nice report.
When I arrived on the summit, I use to take off all my clothes, not the trouser and wear dry and warm clothes.
That’s a good way to stay a long time on the summit.
Best 73
André f5ukl

1 Like

Thanks Andrew for your message. I’m glad that you liked the report.
Regarding the dual language, I’ve done this some other times before, but I must admit that I forget doing it from time to time.
I want to do it because, although it’s more work for me, I know it’s a perfect way to show about SOTA activations to many Spanish speaking hams who are not fluent enough or not at all in English language.
My intention is to keep doing it for all my future activation reports.
Sometimes, I don’t have the available time to do it in both languages and I only do it in English with the idea of making the Spanish version later, but I admit that I sometimes forget making this Spanish version… It’s not easy with work, family, etc. Sorry :blush:
Now I’ve realised that I haven’t done my last weekend activation report in Spanish…
Well, I’ll keep trying and I hope to get back to at least one activation per week, so be prepared to read many more this year.

Guru

Thanks for your message, André:

Really??? :scream::scream::scream::scream:

Aaah, ok, thanks for the clarification :sweat_smile:

:wink:

Guru

1 Like