Mount Scott Oklahoma

Lord willing, I will make a trip to Mount Scott sometime around 10 a.m. Central Time February 9. I will operate all bands from 160-6 SSB mobile and 146.55 to 446 crossband repeater.

I will announce activity on http://www.twitter.com/kc5fm and/or http://www.twitter.com/wx5em

It may not be rare but maybe someone needs it. If you want a specific schedule, please drop an email to me.

Plans are subject to change.

Lloyd, KC5FM

In reply to KC5FM:

Hello Lloyd, what sort of station will you be running on W7O/CS-003? You wrote SSB mobile?

Thanks

Mike G6TUH

In reply to G6TUH:

160-6 SSB will be an IC-706 mobile setup with Hamstick antennas for 80 60, 40 ,20, and 102-inch whip for 10 with a tuner that will allow for operation on bands where they are not resonant.

Mount Scott is one of those places that has a paved road to the summit.

Lloyd

In reply to KC5FM:

In reply to G6TUH:

Mount Scott is one of those places that has a paved road to the
summit.

Lloyd

Lloyd,
I think perhaps Mike was trying to clarify your use of the word “mobile”.

Here in the UK that would most likely suggest a rig/antenna/power source mounted in and operated from a vehicle.

Non of the above are of course permissible under SOTA rules.

Thought it best I should clarify in case you are new to the SOTA game and have not yet had a chance to read the rules!

Good luck with the activation.
Pete

Lloyd,
I think perhaps Mike was trying to clarify your use of the word
“mobile”.

Yes I was :wink:

Mike G6TUH

In reply to G6TUH:

Just in case, the rules can be downloaded in pdf from here:

www.sota.org.uk/RulesAndGuidelines

I know of several cases where a new activator has found sotawatch and the nasota Yahoo Group but missed the sota website!

Brian G8ADD

Probably also worth highlighting that as well as mobile operation not being allowed in SOTA, neither are repeater contacts, which were mentioned in the original post.

In UK and Europe, we probably don’t talk about these things much anymore, but in the formative days of the programme, around 2002/2003, they were the hot topics being discussed. We need to remember that the big growth spurt we had then, is taking place in North America right now, and these discussions are relevant if not vital.

Good luck with the activation.

Tom M1EYP

In reply to KC5FM:
Lloyd,

I didn’t see your call on the NA SOTA reflector. You might want to join that Yahoo group (Yahoo | Mail, Weather, Search, Politics, News, Finance, Sports & Videos) for Activation information for Mt Scott as well as information and discussion about SOTA in North America.

Recently, there was considerable discussion about a recent Activation from a vehicle at the mountaintop parking lot of Mt Scott. I’m sure you know that this type of SOTA activation is not permitted. Likewise for repeater contacts.

Good luck on your Activation effort! 73, Guy/N7UN

In reply to G4ISJ:

Here in the UK that would most likely suggest a rig/antenna/power
source mounted in and operated from a vehicle.

Non of the above are of course permissible under SOTA rules.

The radios are mounted inside a Chevrolet Cavalier which will be driven to the top, parked, and used.

If you don’t need the location under SOTA rules, so be it. I am still planning the trip because (1) I can, (2) there’s a road to the top that’s paved, and (3) because I enjoy getting up there once in a while, ex. third time in five years.

Lloyd

In reply to KC5FM:

The radios are mounted inside a Chevrolet Cavalier which will be
driven to the top, parked, and used.

If you don’t need the location under SOTA rules, so be it. I am still
planning the trip because (1) I can, (2) there’s a road to the top
that’s paved, and (3) because I enjoy getting up there once in a
while, ex. third time in five years.

Hi Lloyd,

Thanks for the clarification. Have a nice trip.

Mike G6TUH

In reply to KC5FM:

Lloyd, nobody is stopping you from operating from your car on any summit with road access, but these operations are nothing to do with what SOTA is all about and will not be valid for entering on the SOTA database and will get no score either for you or the people that you work. However, do not imagine that a car park on a summit makes it invalid for SOTA; if it is a summit listed in the ARM then any activator who leaves his car and sets up a station within the activation zone will be performing a valid activation. Take the rig, power supply and antenna from the car and set up somewhere snug out of the wind and within the AZ and your activation will be valid.

Brian G8ADD