Most Wanted

In reply to G4OBK:

You are not alone Phil. I hadn’t spotted the anomaly which, according to another poster, has not recorded QSOs since about April into the “my chases” column.

I have now edited my original list to remove ten summits successfully worked since April!

73 de Les, G3VQO

In reply to G3VQO:

The cut off date appears to be between 14th and 21st April. Someone more active will be able to provide a more accurate date.

73, Gerald

In reply to M1EYP:

You have really started something here, perhaps not of use to you but very valuable to those of us “up North” what is the wish list for GM? This will be very valuable to Robin GM7PKT who must be running out of hills to activate and I guess I would use it when I can’t make up my mind where is lacking rainfall - hi!

I did a similar exercise with G4JZF a couple of years ago to find unactivated or highly desired WAB areas which coincided with SOTA summits so I would find the wanted list for SOTA GM equally interesting.

Barry GM4TOE

In reply to GM4TOE:
In my case it would be a lot easier to list those GM summits worked - only 190 in the log so far and over 1,000 needed!
73 de Cris
GM4FAM

Hi Barry,

I chose G/GD/GW for the reason that the data set should be large enough to allow pupils to apply age-appropriate statistical techniques, but be restricted enough for patterns in the results to be observed and analysed. The addition of GM (because of the sheer number of summits) and GI (because of the sheer lack of activity relative to the number of summits) would stifle this. If this goes well in the classroom, a natural progression will be to consider how to add in and deal with the GI/GM data, but the pupils will need to specify a new problem and plan to deal with the very different distributions of data (when compared to G/GW/GD). Basically, the G/GW/GD data should be “easy” for pupils to deal with, whereas the GM/GI would be comparitively “hard”, so that would naturally follow later.

So no promises for the GM data, but it could be on the cards later. I’m not sure why the SOTAwatch statistics in the number of chases/activations in each region appears to be slightly incorrect. All my personal stats seem to be in order, so perhaps Jon can work out if there is a bug.

Keep the G/GD/GW chase ‘needs’ coming folks. Thanks.

Tom

In reply to M1EYP:
Rest of Wanted Tom
GD/
None

GW/

MW 3 4 5 6 7 8 11 14 16 19 21 22 23 24 25 26 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 36 37 38 39 40

NW 4 14 24 30 35 36 37 50 52 55 56 58 59 60 61 63 67 68 71 73

SW 6 9 13 17 21 22 23 24 25 27to40inc

Roger G4OWG

In reply to M1EYP:

Hi Tom

The database seems to update my chases ok on the regional lists, but I use an old bookmark to access SotaWatch and possibly this links me to the Alpha database? In fact I set the bookmark up when making an enquiry for Garway Hill several months ago, and as I am totally useless with computers I enclose the full text of my bookmark below in case anyone else can use it or part of it to access their info on the regional lists :-
http://sotawatch.sota.org.uk/summit.php?summit=G/WB-013

73 Dave

In reply to M1EYP:

HI TOM @ STUDENTS

SUMMITS REQD / NOT WORKED 6 TOTAL

G / LD 040 @ 057

GW / NW 068

GW / MW 012

GW / SW 021 @ 032

73S ALISTAIR GW0VMZ

Wow, that’s impressive Alistair. I could do with a few more lists from the really top chasers like yourself, as that would really start to identify the ‘Most Wanted’, and I could do some sampling with the pupils to compare the 'Most Wanted’s of the majority of chasers with those of the top chasers that need (say) less than twenty.

In reply to Dave, the old SOTAwatch that you are using does not have the regional summary data pages. Use the following link:

http://sotawatch.org/beta/summits.php

I have just checked, and all my summits chased since April are shown correctly both on the individual summit pages, and on the region summary pages. Strange one.

In reply to M1EYP:

Tom I`ll save you & the kids some time - I reckon most wanted G summit will be Swinside :wink:
Just looked at my chases in G/NP, it had me down for not chasing 8 summits which I definitely had. I then came out & went back in & all was ok. I was logged in both times. Hmmm.

No doubt Jon will explain. He might even add a ‘Total chases’ column alongside the total activations column. (That would be useful for me in marking the kids’ work!).

In reply to G1INK:

Not sure what you’ve got that I haven’t Steve. My chases are still not up to date, even when I’ve tried a number of combinations of logging in / out. Weird or what?

73, Gerald

In reply to G4OIG:
Same here Gerald, nothing after mid April :frowning: Thought Tom’s could be due to a higher access level but if Steve’s are OK its very curious.

Roger G4OWG

In reply to G4OWG:

Unless Steve’s not telling us something… or could just be a postcode lottery, Hi!

73, Gerald

In reply to M1EYP:

all ok tom

i have around 12 qso’s also in the UK which are ok in the main database log but haven’t made it into the summits regional section total not a problem but need to delve / check to see which is new unique summit .

73s gw0vmz

In reply to G3VQO:

It was an interesting exercise! The large number of
“missing” SE summits is a combination of having no 2-metre
capability at home (except the 817 in rubber-duck mode), and the
relative proximity of the summits making them too close for many of
the HF activations.

73 de Les, G3VQO

Please don’t pass this info on :slight_smile: Maplins do a nice little 2m/70cms antenna with a bnc connection. (JM12N) Basically it is a 5 section extendable that fully extended is a quarter wave on 2m and fully closed a quarter wave on 70cms (fits in pocket closed). Even better it is hinged so you can use it vertical or horizontal. Knocks spot off rubber duck ! I use it with 817 when its too windy for anything else - but could be useful for local summits in a relatively flat area. It was under £6 if I remember correctly.

Roger G4OWG

In reply to G4OWG:

Thanks Roger, I have just checked that out - looks good.

Don’t worry, I won’t tell anybody else!! After all, we don’t want too much 2m activity do we?? :wink:

Mind you, my rubber duck worked into France from SE-002, so it does work!

73 de Les, G3VQO

In reply to M1EYP:

Thanks for info Tom, - I do often access this via the link on the Daily Digest, but like others I have noticed that it does not show my chases, -the earliest of which would have been in May. Using my old link however, although
"Browse for a Summit" does not show the height, activations, etc., it does show a ‘spot’ to the left of the list of regional summits for the ones I have chased, right up to date, so might be of use to anyone wishing to see a list of their summits still to be chased.

Dave

In reply to G0ELJ:
Thanks Dave - all my chases appear correctly in old system also.

Roger G4OWG