Morsitis

In reply to G1ZJQ:

Seems to be a lot of Rush fans into SOTA!

I saw them with Sarah in Glasgow. Excellent set and we had the Southpark video too. Did you have chickens roasting or washing machines on stage?

Best bit of the show… we we’re given the tickets gratis. Only cost me petrol and parking. :wink:

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to G1ZJQ:

Now I wonder…does Yes include some Morse in “Close to the
Edge”?

I recall that there is a track of theirs that does - time for a Yes review I think… after I’ve finished my Wishbone Ash review, perhaps by 2012.

I must be getting lazy - the car CD changer cassette has mould growing on the CDs in it! I don’t have any kids around any more to embarass, so perhaps I can now allow myself something more recent!

Actually you mentioning the morse CD Derek reminds me that I used to drive to work with my morse cassettes on when I was learning CW back in 81/82. More than once I had strange looks as I sat at traffic lights repeating verbally the 5 letter groups that had been sent.

Hope your time at sea isn’t too long and you are back in them thar hills soon.

73, Gerald

In reply to G4OIG:

after I’ve finished my Wishbone Ash review, perhaps by 2012.

I saw them the other week. On form they were and it was a great set. I last saw them in 1996 and they were so-so.

The Some Mothers Do Have Them theme includes the title in Morse on the piccolo and that was twenty years earlier than Barrington Pheloung’s theme.

Andy
MM0FMF

edit: Ah… the SMDHT theme was the other link Tom posted!

In reply to MM0FMF:

after I’ve finished my Wishbone Ash review, perhaps by 2012.

I saw them the other week.

Blimey Andy didnt realise they were still going. Saw them in the mid 70’s whilst at University along with Led Zepellin, Black Sabbeth and Pink Floyd. Just waiting to see if I’ve managed to get tickets to the Zepp reunion concert. (I know this is way of topic but thought ‘Zepp’ was close enough to an aerial to get away with)

Glyn

In reply to GM4CFS:

Oh boy, have you lot got good taste in music. The mention of Rush, Yes, Wishbone Ash, Led Zep, Sabbath, and Pink Floyd tells me you know good music when you hear it. Oddly enough I had Yessongs in my hand only yesterday while looking for one of my other favourites, Lynard Skynard.

73 Mike

In reply to GW0DSP:
I’ve been a “Floydie” since “Piper at the Gates of Dawn”, how do you rate Genesis in the Peter Gabriel days? I sometimes fill in the time waiting for an activation to appear by listening to “Foxtrot” (got to tie it in with SOTA, but its true!)

Brian G8ADD

In reply to G8ADD:

Floyd’s David Gilmour is in my opinion in the top 5 greatest guitarists.

I loved Genesis too Brian and have a few of their albums. I play guitar and have been in quite a few bands and always played this type of music.

73 Mike

Spelling Mike, tut tut. Lynyrd Skynyrd! Uncannily, “Sweet Home Alabama” was one of the tracks on the music round at the pub quiz last night, in which myself and G3CWI submitted an otherwise miserable score (mention of a prominent SOTA activator to keep it on topic!).

I did a bit of Googling yesterday to try to uncover more music with morse code in, but there really doesn’t seem to be a great deal beyond “YYZ”, “Some Mothers Do 'Ave 'Em” and the “Inspector Morse” theme.

There is a broadcast station on HF that IDs in morse every few minutes. Mystery Radio on 6220kHz AM can usually be heard most times of the day and night. And while on the topics of broadcast radio and good music, the evening programmes on Big L 1395kHz medium-wave (also streaming on http://www.bigl.co.uk) are enjoyable. I had an email to the studio acknowledged within 5 minutes the other night, and requests played of Blood, Sweat & Tears and early Chicago!

73, Tom

In reply to M1EYP:

ok on my spelling, can tell you are a teacher, hi. I think “Freebird” was an amazing song, that and “Sweet Home Alabama” were re-vitalised in the film “Forest Gump”.
Blood Sweat and Tears and Chicago, two more of the greats in my opinion. There were so many back then.
Any ELO fans out there? Their music outlives time. Roy Wood was very under rated in the early days with The Move and Wizard. What about the birth of the Mersy sound, so many bands been and gone, Oh to reminisce.

73 Mike

In reply to GW0DSP:

There were so many back then.

Oh so true. Is it just my age, or did the production of good new music die sometime in the mid 1970’s?

73 de Paul G4MD

In reply to GW0DSP:
Hi, Mike, I used to play classical clarinet and jazz saxophone but gave up gigging when my family came along. Now my eldest son is a prog enthusiast and plays 5 string bass. Typing this while in the queue for g3rmd/p!

Brian G8ADD

PS Just made it, I love this old FT290 but will be glad to have a bit more power again!
PPS back to morsitis: There is morse code in Floyd’s “Astronomy Dominie”!

did the production of good new music die sometime in the mid 1970’s?

No, it’s always been there, and still is. As ever, it can be hard to find, masked by the rubbish that lies around in much greater magnitudes. There is some good stuff around now, and there was a lot of utter rubbish in the 70s!

In reply to GW0DSP and all:

As the instigator of this thread, I always thought hijacking was a crime, but maybe it is my punishment for leaving the ‘e’ out of the title!!

Glad to see there are some afficianados of good music here but amazed to see the ommission of ‘Dire Straits’ or any of the subsequent incarnations of Mark Knopfler since the split. Love ELO Mike. What about ‘Sky’ or ‘BJH’ or ‘Supertramp’?

Better get off now before I am accused of perpetuating the crime mentioned above!!

As a junior member of the 236 chasers who have never activated, can I deduce from previous comments, that the advent of the Winter Bonus provokes a flurry of extra activity on SOTA summits?

73’s
David/G4CMQ

In reply to M1EYP:

Very true!

The prog scene is healthy and expanding, my son is the expert (now!) but Dream Theatre, Epica and Opeth are impressively good.

Brian G8ADD

In reply to M1EYP:

did the production of good new music die sometime in the mid
1970’s?

No, it’s always been there, and still is. As ever, it can be hard to
find, masked by the rubbish that lies around in much greater
magnitudes. There is some good stuff around now, and there was a lot
of utter rubbish in the 70s!

Ah, must just be my age then!

In reply to G4CMQ:

And BOC. Went to see them at the Birmingham Hippodrome when laser lightshows were new and almost unheard of. Probably very tame by today’s standards, but breathtaking at the time!

And to bring us back on topic, I’ve got that wretched SMDHT tune running through my head and I cant shift it…And it’s all your fault…

73 de Paul G4MD

:wink:

In reply to G4CMQ:

As a junior member of the 236 chasers who have never activated, can I
deduce from previous comments, that the advent of the Winter Bonus
provokes a flurry of extra activity on SOTA summits?

Hi David

I think you’ll find it does, at least on 2 point + summits! Hope to work you on Dec. 1st!

73 de Paul G4MD

In reply to G4MD:

What a dreadful calumny Paul. If you look back on this thread, I think you will find that Tom was the specific referrer to SMDHT. I merely alluded to the possible presence of CW in music. Now you have me thinking about it!!!

73’s
David/G4CMQ

Yes David, you will see activity really pick up in December, and you just won’t know what’s hit you come the first few days of January 2008!

I think you did concede the thread was ‘off-topic’ to start with, and it has without doubt drifted further with the music stuff, but there’s hardly any other reflector activity, and we’re all enjoying it, so why not!

Here is a very newly released track, doubt it will chart though!

http://www.emusic.com/samples/m3u/song/11082492/15762690.m3u

No CW in it, but proof that great music is still being produced underneath the blanket of ‘popular’ stuff. Going back to Morseitis, I imagine I would find it very hard to send ‘YYZ’ and remember to put the dot gaps in between the letters - because Rush don’t!

73, Tom

In reply to G4CMQ:
Yes, an ex-Sparks.
Cayzer Irvine / British & Commonwealth and whatever else they called themselves in the years I worked for them (probably better known as Clan Line, King Line, Union Castle etc. - I never worked the mailships), Newgate Shipping.
Then a bit of coasting with Christian Salvesen - coal from Tyne area to Thames/Medway power stations, until Arthur Scargill ruined that for me.
Finally the north EU fleet of Chevron Shipping Co as it was then…

Meeting up with a pal from Chevron this weekend - at a beer festival in Llanwrtyd Wells - won’t get much sense out me for a day or so ;o)) …

Graham G4FUJ