Morse key/paddle for sota

Hi Barry,
the AGC of my KX3 in CW is in FAST.

73 de Dani EA5FV.

Hi Anthony,
It is the fruit of much practice and 30 years of International Contest.
I love the CW.

Maybe you like to hear this, although it is not suitable for SOTA, hi hi:

http://www.ea5fv.es/resources/ARRL2007_TotalOrgasm_7QSO.mp3

Enjoy !!
73 de Dani EA5FV

1 Like

I just got a paddle from QRP Guys. Canā€™t wait to build it and try it out as I am just learning Morse Code in the near future.

1 Like

What speed is that of the ARRL2007 contest recording, Dany?
Must be nearly 50 WPM. Hats off!
I can copy the callsigns of the stations calling you.
Did you go like that for the whole contest duration?

I think 40 WPM is the highest speed Iā€™ve worked in a contest, but I didnā€™t keep it for too long in order to avoid restricting potential QSOs with hams working slower. It was the CQ WW DX.

Guru

I almost always use a straight key, a Navy Flameproof, on a 1/4 inch thick Corian plastic base. Itā€™s tough, reliable, and it sends like a dream with cold hands. Since itā€™s my opinion that SOTA shouldnā€™t be a high speed activity, sending at 18WPM using a hand key seems the way to go. My 2 cents.

Bruce

3 Likes

Hello Guru,
I do not remember the speed, but it can be as you say, next to 50 WPM.
Those speeds only I use them in punctual moments of Pile-UP and in competitions like the ARRL, where an EA can be allowed to go very fast. Outside of these cases, an operator must always think about the thickness of the log!
There are few days left for a new CQ WW CW, we hear?

73 de Dani EA5FV

In reply to EA5FV

I found when using LCWO that I have a level around 40wpm where I can longer detect a difference between dit and dah. I can hardly pick up anything from your high speed mp3.

Iā€™m definitely not designed for doing CW but I have stuck at it even though I find it very difficult. I enjoyed watching the video above and whilst I could read it all, thereā€™s no way I could sustain operating like that! Very cool!

Looking forward to another CW QSO with you soon,

Colin

1 Like

OK, I absolutely agree.

I wish I could get back to participating on the big contests like CQ WW CW, but Iā€™m afraid several thing are currently going on keeping me out of the ham radio hobby for most of my time.
Hopefully, I will recover some time for myself sooner or later and Iā€™ll have the chance to get back to the good stuff like contesting, going out to the mountains, SOTA activatingā€¦

Sorry for having drifted off topic.
Let me get back to it by showing you a home made paddle I built some weeks ago and have recenty fine tuned. It works great for me. Itā€™s been designed to be held with one hand while operated with the other hand, but I have managed to fit it between other heavier things in my shack and it doesnā€™t need to be held in hand anymore. I made it with junk box stuff, so at zero cost.

Best 73,

Guru

1 Like

I decided on a BegaliTraveler Light. I use it for SOTA and for QRP-ARCI events.
It has a to wrap around my leg or it can easily sit on a clipboard or a desk.
There is a little weight but well worth the choice.
JohnPaul/AB4PP

Hi there,
I am new to SOTA, (only one activation). Normally when I operate Portable/QRP, I have with me a beautiful PALM Pico paddle, but as a back up I recently built a light/portable cw paddle using available spare parts.

Regards
Fabio IK2WQH

4 Likes

Hello Bruce and all,

Re: the Navy Flameproof; yes, have one and love it; bulletproof, and great for hand keying in the cold. Also in the same league, and actually designed for field radio operations is the Armyā€™s J-45 leg-clip key. It folds into its leg clip for protection and smaller bulk. Look at Google images for: J-45 Morse key. I use Palm Miniā€™s attached to the ā€œdesk boardā€ of my SOTA rigs, but if I ever venture out for a really cold activation, the J-45 will be my choice.

Best, Ken

1 Like

Thatā€™s a unique use for a BS1363 plug! :grinning:

1 Like