Miserable failure

Went up to Mynydd y Lan SW-024 last night - it was lashing down when I left work (and my only access to IT technology) so did not post an alert, but by the time I reached the Severn Bridge sun was shining and sky was clear, so I went for it. XYL out too, so couldn’t get her to spot me.

Called for over 1Hr on 2m ssb and FM, not a peep. And lost the bung out of my Sotapole (second one inside a week). Unfortunately did not have HF kit with me - must make it a permanent feature of the pack.

Looking on the bright side, I got to see a fabulous sunset and made friends with the big horse.

I’m going to give it another try tonight weather permitting, you chasers who seem to think there’s not enough of us out there activating better be listening for me…

P’raps I’ll steel myself and try CW, bet I’ll qualify it easily then!

Hope to work some of you later

73 de Paul G4MD

In reply to G4MD:
And lost the bung out of my Sotapole (second one inside a week).

I find a cork or rubber cork for a demijon fits a treat - available from home brew shops.

In reply to G1INK:

Thanks Steve, I’ll try that. Probably be better than the original!

But not one of the type with a hole in…

73 de Paul G4MD

And lost the bung out of my Sotapole (second one inside a week).

I am building up a nice collection of bungs myself, due breakages and using the poles in the garden to support antennas.

Hope you do 5megs, not a hope of hearing you on 2m here.:o)

In reply to GW7AAV:

Hope you do 5megs, not a hope of hearing you on 2m here.:o)

Actually you’re right, for a hill SW-024 is a bit of a hole in the ground. I’ll definitely try 60m, hope it’s in better shape than of late!

Hope to work you later

73 de Paul G4MD

In reply to G4MD:

http://www.ips.gov.au/HF_Systems/3/4/3 shows a historical view of The Chilton ionosonde for today and the past week. You might be able to discern a pattern on when to operate on 60m. foF2 looks to be above 7MHz right now as shown at http://www.ips.gov.au/HF_Systems/3/3 and the reason can be seen here http://www.ips.gov.au/HF_Systems/3/2

You can tell things are up… RAF Volmet at 150 miles is louder here on 11.253MHz. It’s always there but hardly readable but it’s almost armchair copy at the moment.

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to MM0FMF:

What a wonderful resource, I’ll put those in my favourites!

Slightly confused though - the Chilton chart shows foF2 about 7Mhz as you say, but the map for 1100gmt shows 4Mhz and the T-index map “mildly depressed”. Is there a knack to interpretation?

73 de Paul G4MD

In reply to G4MD:

It’s changed since I posted! The displays for 1000UTC showed enhanced conditions and propagation upto 7MHz. Conditions have changed though. Since 1st posting, RAF Volmet is back to normal on 11MHz and is down 2S points on 5MHz compared to earlier.

The IPS site is really good as it collates data from many sites. There’s all sorts of tools on there as well. Have a dig about, they’re free and really good.

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to MM0FMF:
Hi Andy

I’ve often looked at the Chilton plots on the IPS site… but I have one queston about them and the dotted line showing on the daily and current charts… is it an average plot?

If so, do you know what period is it averaged over? I notice it does change from time to time.

73 Marc GØAZS

In reply to G0AZS:

Hi Marc

I reckon the white dashed/dotted line is the prediction. In which case I reckon I’d best pack the key in case I’m forced onto 40m CW to qualify SW-024 tonight :frowning:

73 de Paul G4MD

In reply to G4MD:

In reply to G0AZS:

I reckon I’d best pack the key in case I’m forced onto 40m CW to
qualify SW-024 tonight :frowning:

Hi Paul

I think you may be right… good luck.

How about 80M CW?

73 Marc GØAZS

In reply to G0AZS:

I reckon I’d best pack the key in case I’m forced onto 40m CW to
qualify SW-024 tonight :frowning:

Yes, T-index map is now showing “depressed” which is what I am at the thought of not qualifying the hill 2 nights running…

How about 80M CW?

Antenna doesn’t stretch to 80m, might see if I can nick a reel of wire off the sparks here and improvise!

73 de Paul G4MD

In reply to G4MD:

Hi Paul,
If you look at the summit activity:
6 Activations - 100 qso’s - only 11 on 2m!
On both my activations, qualified on 5mhz ssb and 7mhz cw.
Will be listening for you - maybe even on 2m ssb??

73s de Peter TJE+

In reply to G3TJE:

Yes, tells it’s own story!

Thanks Peter, all QSO’s gratefully received whatever the band!

XYL is in tonight so I can get her to spot me, which should help.

I’m setting off now, so with a bit of luck I should be up and running a bit earlier than alerted.

Hope to catch you later!

73 de Paul G4MD

In reply to G4MD:

Hopefully up on 2m SSB Paul from a local ripple. Will take the HF dipole out with me.

73, Gerald

In reply to G4OIG:

Hi Gerald

Departure delayed by reading activation report!

Will try 2m ssb first. After all this fuss I’ll probably be up the hill all night with a pile-up…

Catch you later!

73 de Paul G4MD

In reply to G4MD:
Hi, Paul, that hill must be subterranean!

You were at best 3 by 3 on 2m in Brum, you had me calling you with 50 watts and G0ELJ with 10 watts but no answer…just to let you know we tried, it wasn’t a dearth of chasers!

Brian G8ADD

In reply to G8ADD:

Paul was 43 with some QSB when I worked him at 18:25, but he came up stronger a little while afterwards (when he turned his beam the right way round).

I did hear Paul answer G0ELJ at least twice (once on 310 and again on 300), but I guess conditions were just not quite good enough for him to be heard that much further away.

Hi Paul, glad it went well for you this evening, I listened for you on 2m fm/ssb but nil, I only have a vert up at the moment so to be expected.

Was pleased to catch you on 60m, great job, thanks.

73 Mike

In reply to G4MD:

Hi Paul,

In the noise over here on 2m. From the OS map it looks like the take off wasn’t great east of north due to the trees, but maybe they aren’t that much of a problem. Just pleased that you qualified it. Sorry I didn’t stick around for the 5MHz show later on - things to do.

73, Gerald