Other SOTA sites: SOTAwatch | SOTA Home | Database | Video | Photos | Shop | Mapping | FAQs | Facebook | Contact SOTA

Meteor Scatter on HF?

Hi!
Today I had a strange QSO with OK8JOE/p. He was too close to hear him. I just walked away from the my room and suddenly there was 599 for a dozen seconds and again zero. /12: 13UTC/. It looked like a MS burst. And today we have the maximum of QUADRANTIDS shower.
In the past I worked a lot via MS on 144MHz FastCW and also SSB but I did not think that it is possible on 7MHz! Have You a had similar cases?
Vy 73 de Mariusz SP9AMH

Hi Mariusz.

It was probably meteor-induced Sporadic E. Intense meteor showers can sometimes cause brief bursts of ionisation in the E-layer of the ionosphere. This is quite a well-known phenomenon, although it mainly affects the higher frequency bands (14 MHz and higher).

Do a Google search on “meteor showers” “Sporadic E”.

Walt (G3NYY)

Meteor scatter on the HF bands is common but it tends to be mostly noticeable in the early morning. It is easiest to observe if you can find a broadcast station that is transmitting within your dead zone. If you leave an RX running you will hear meteor pings every so often. It’s a fun thing to do when working in the shack.

The reflection from Es on 7MHz seems unlikely to be too short, I think that it was a reflection from a large trace of MS. At VHF, it definitely took longer. Exactly at that time there were spots on the DXC with 2m. LZ-DL, OK-DL
73 de Mariusz

Hi Mariusz,
I wonder if another possibility could have been Aircraft reflection? Again this is more normally seen at VHF but I “suppose” it could be possible at 7MHz.

Then again with the winds we are having at the moment perhaps OK8JOE’s antenna could have blown over for a few seconds before returning to vertical and while over it was NVIS propagation? That’s assuming a vertical antenna was in use.

73 Ed.