Magical WB-003

Just a quick report on todays activation of the Stiperstones in Shropshire G/WB-003.

Thanfully to a Landrover, I got there OK but the lane up from Bridges was extremely trecherous in places due to ice and a covering of snow too.

Very lonely this part of the world. I was the first car up there this morning. Great. Had been reading about this area in times gone by and I can see why it was rife with witches, black masses, etc.

Walk waas good despite a very strong and freezing wind - so sheltered next to the roacks under the Trig Point. How they managed to get it up there?

As the rocks were shielding me, I was pleased to work :-
G4JZF (Thanks for the spot), G6ODU, M0COP, G3XQE, G4OBK, 2E0NHM, M0JLA, G4XUV and M0IBC. All worked on 2m ssb until a battery problem (lack of volts) caused me to close down. Thanks to all stations worked - sorry if I missed anyone, but my working conditions not the best this morning.

Until the next one,

John

In reply to G1STQ:

All worked on 2m ssb until a battery problem
(lack of volts) caused me to close down.

To forget to charge one battery, John, may be regarded as a misfortune; to forget to charge two looks like carelessness.

:wink:

73 Mike
2E0YYY

In reply to 2E0YYY:

At this end it sounded more like connection failure than voltage drop but perhaps one of the circuits shuts down suddenly when a threshold is reached. Very clear signal when at best.

Rod

In reply to G1STQ:

How they managed to get it up there?

Climb up rocks, build trig point. Simples!

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to G1STQ:

Sorry to have missed you, but Monday = the weekly visit to the supermarket!

The first time I went to the Stiperstones it was in fog with blue sky glimpsed above, lit to a glowing yellow by the sun, every so often outcrops of rock seemed to coalesce out of the glowing mist and then vanish again, a magical experience! If there were witches in that place I would guess that they were honest wiccas rather than inverted christians, its too lovely a place for evil!

Brian G8ADD

In reply to G1STQ:

John, how did the new clothing work out?

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to MM0FMF:
My original power-out was caused by me unplugging the slab by mistake, with my boot. Thought it had gone flat, so tried on internal batts, but these were flat as a kipper.
Realised the slab was unplugged and hay-presto - back in business. Both me and the battery were getting cold - but soldered on until no further ssb chasers heard.
Decided to give fm a miss mainly due to the wx.
My new baselayer did the trick. I bought a running baselayer and it was damn good value at £25, and this with a big fleece over everything did the trick today.
Lets hope this continues…

In reply to G1STQ:

In reply to MM0FMF:

Both me and the battery were getting cold - but soldered on until no
further ssb chasers heard.

How did you power the iron?

Roger G4OWG

In reply to G4OWG:
oops.
If I go and edit it now - your post will look funny!