Locator on Summit Information page

Hello folks,

as the 6m/10m-challenge comes closer i want to make a suggestion for the “Summit Information Page” on SOTAwatch. On 6m it is common to exchange the QTH-Locator during the QSO.

Maybe it is possible to add the summit’s QTH-Locator on this page. Due to the fact that the latitude and longitude are shown already i presume it not to difficult to add that. Correct me if I’m wrong :smile:

For activators this will be a big help as they don’t need to look up the summit’s QTH-Locator elsewhere.

73 de Martin
www.oe5reo.at

4 Likes

Hi Martin,

The locator is shown on the summit history page: SOTA Database

73, Peter

hi peter,

thanks for your reply. i know that i can find the locator on the page you posted, but in my opinion adding the locator to the “summit information page” would be helpful for activators (especially for the upcoming 6m challenge).

after i post an alert on SOTAwatch i check the alert, just to make sure that i entered everything right … and write down name, altitude, sota-ref. into my little logbook. just for the locator i need to make some “extra clicks” to another website.

it’s no problem for me to look up the locator on another page, but if it is easy to implement it would be very helpful to have all the needed info on one webpage.

73 Martin

Hi Martin

The info you require is on the UK summit list but haven’t checked the rest of the world apart from the example you gave.

So I presume it can be done and I’m sure someone will have it on his Round Tuit list.

73 Neil

Edit: I think the subject was brought up a few years ago.

About 1 year ago give or take. The only thing which has changed is SOTAwatch runs on a newer, faster server and can do its summit lookups faster than before.

Ah! So the single working brain cell does still work. :wink:

On some summits the boundary between squares means the locator can very easily be incorrect if you are not exactly at the summit location.

There are mobile phone apps that will show your locator on the summit - if that’s what you need?

sri richard … that’s not what i need. but thanks for all your comments regarding my question/suggestion.

it looks as the locator info is only available for EI/G/GI/GM/GW associations … maybe all the other associations will come up with locator-info sometimes in the future.

73 martin

Bzzzzt! Incorrect :wink:

The locator is provided for 67538 summits in 823 regions and 95 associations.

So what is the problem?
Rod

As I see it, the problem is:

(a) code
(b) history

What Andy says about the database is of course perfectly true. But it wasn’t true when the SOTAwatch pages were designed. They predate the current uniform treatment of coordinates in the database.

1 Like

That’s right, the earliest associations used UK NGR not lat&long. Support for that was added when we went international. UK association data is somewhat smelly and awkward in comparison to the others and it’s why I hate updating my own association until I absolutely have to.

and worse, the remainder represented their lat&long coordinates in a variety of incomptible ways.

Thanks both for the explanation.
Rod

1 Like