Litter on summits

In reply to G3NYY:

What view are you trying to ascribe to me, Walt? I thought I had made it clear enough, did I not say “…so my attitude is that the mess is unpleasant and the owner should clear it up…”?

Are you trying to make it sound as if I said that the mess should be left? All I am saying in addition to the above is that in real terms the risk is very small, which is beyond denial - compared with the risk of being hit by a vehicle it is microscopic!

Brian G8ADD

In reply to G8ADD:

Brian

You may find the advice in the leaflet here of interest:

http://www.northyorkmoors.org.uk/uploads/publication/9461.pdf

Richard
G3CWI

In reply to G3CWI:

I’ve not set foot on the North York Moors since getting megablisters doing the Lyke Wake Walk many years ago (I think it was 1977) but I’ll make a note of it. Rest assured I always go out with a pocket full of little black bags!

Brian G8ADD

In reply to G3NYY:
Anyone know how many horse owners take plastic bag,s
with them when out for a ride…
AND USE THEM

JUST A THOUGHT …!!!

GRAHAM GW0HUS

In reply to GW0HUS:

In reply to G3CWI:

They make up-market writing paper from elephant poo. I had some once and wrote some jumbo length letters to my friends!

(Ay-thang-yew-all) :wink:

Back to the OT subject… herbivore poo is a lot less unpleasant than omnivore poo. That’s why you don’t get fined if don’t clean up after your horse.

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to MM0FMF:

They make up-market writing paper from elephant poo.

It’s rubbish, can’t give it away. Got a trunk full of the stuff in the loft somewhere…

I keep trying to leave my litter on the summit but they always follow me home.

Actually that is not quite true, usually I follow them. Something to do with being older, fatter and less fit.

Steve GW7AAV who just got back from two weeks of rain in GM ;0( and feels like a jilted lover. I still love Scotland but does it love me?

In reply to GW7AAV:

who just got back from two weeks of rain in GM

Not a cloud in the sky this morning. Bright blue, no wind. Looks like it will be a peach of a day for walking.

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to GW0HUS:

Anyone know how many horse owners take plastic bags
with them when out for a ride…
AND USE THEM

I remember in the 1940s, my grandmother used to go out into the street with a shovel after the milkman’s horse and cart had been past in the mornings. She said there was nothing better than horse manure for fertilising the roses!
:slight_smile:

Walt (G3NYY)
P.S. Shall we now start a thread about why you never see white dog poo in the summer any more?

In reply to MM0FMF:

Not a cloud in the sky this morning. Bright blue, no wind. Looks like
it will be a peach of a day for walking.

The last 2m Backpackers/Hilltoppers contest of the year starts at 1100 UTC today.

Walt (G3NYY)

In reply to G3NYY:

I remember in the 1940s, my grandmother used to go out into the street
with a shovel after the milkman’s horse and cart had been past in the
mornings. She said there was nothing better than horse manure for
fertilising the roses!

absolutely correct! I still do it today, although it is not the milkman’s cart I go after. Well, living in the countryside nowadays does have certain advantages :slight_smile:

73 Bernhard DL4CW

In reply to DL4CW:

I agree! There is a stables not too far away and sometimes I get a few bags of manure from them. Manure+epsom salts=great roses!

Brian G8ADD

In reply to G3NYY:

Was the Milkman,s horse named
"Trigger"
and did he pull the fastest milkcart in the West …!!!

Graham Gw0hus

In reply to GW0HUS:

Was the Milkman,s horse named
“Trigger”
and did he pull the fastest milkcart in the West …!!!

The milkman’s name was Ernie …

73 de G3NYY