Lipo Help for strong ones

Dear SOTA-Friends

I am looking for a Lipo with 30-45 A/Hour, but I can’t find any.

If I only have to walk less than an hour I use 100 Watt output with my IC-735.
I am looking for a Lipo with 30-45 A/h, but I can’t find any.
The strongest I found are 6 A/h from Kokam. They are good for my FT-817 but not for my IC-735. hi hi!

Can someone help me please.

tks es 73 de HB9BIN, Jürg

In reply to HB9BIN_3:
Could you set them up in parallel (the 6A/Hr variety)? You’d need to be careful and monitor their cell voltages individually, but perhaps 3 or 4 wired together should be useable especially with SSB.
Having said that, I just had a QSO from my QTH in Northern Scotland on 17m with an op in Italy using 500mW PEP (wire inv v dipole). He gave me 5,6 and immediately went QRP himself. Great conditions on 17m this afternoon.

In reply to HB9BIN_3:

Hi Jürg,

have a look to this: http://shop.lipopower.de/CALB-Sky-Energy

73 Lutz

In reply to HB9BIN_3:

Biggest one I have seen is 14.8v 6500mAh 30C Li-polymer Lipo Battery eBay Item number: 320673459528.

At nearly £60 inc postage you would need 6 to reach the area you want so it would cost a total of £360 to make up a pack that big. It would weigh 4,290 grams or 9 lb and 7.32 oz.

A single 7AH SLAB weighs 2650 g OR 5 lb and 13.47 oz and I carry two so that is 5300g or OR 11 lb and 10.95 oz. So if you can stand the price that would make one heck of a pack and nearly 2 lb lighter than my SLABs.

73 Steve GW7AAV

Not sure why you need it but hey if it is what you want.

In reply to DL3SBA:

Good find Lutz - 40AH 63 euros 1,800g if only they were near 12V :0( Only 3.2V!

How about these…

http://shop.lipopower.de/LiNANO-24-Ah-12V-20C-LiFepo-Starterbatterie

In reply to HB9BIN_3:
I used to use a 735 on portable operations. At that time we used lead/acid batteries of some sort or another. Now we use LiPos with other rigs. My suggestions:

1. Spend money on lighter rig instead of so many more LiPo$?? Use the weight saving to carry SLAs. Also lots of rigs draw considerably less current on receive than the 735. (Or the 817, for that matter)
  2. Failing that, turn down the indicator lights as far as possible, use flashlight to read freq. if necessary. Will reduce rx current draw quite a bit.
  3. We routinely parallel two 4 cell LiPos batteries. Our rigs and batteries are all fitted with Powerpoles, so paralleling them is simple a matter of plugging them all into a Rig Runner or homebrew Powerpole distribution block. I see no reason this would not work for more than 2 batteries. Our batteries are all charged and balanced individually, and paralleled only when in use. (We have to drop the initial voltage of the 4 cell LiPos with a diode or two to keep the K3 happy, taking out a diode when battery voltage goes down.))
  4. Reduce power out to 50 or even 20 watts. You will probably not see much difference.
    Good luck!
    N1FJ
    President, SOTA Jerks (NE1SJ)

In reply to HB9BIN_3:
Another Question, why 100W for SOTA?? I’m working with 5W ATS-3b and an LIPO 3300mAh from Tekkeon with no problem and I’M HAPPY with this Equipment and lightweight for “rucksack”.
73 Peter

In reply to HB9BIN_3:

This is how I have connected Lipo packs together:

http://www.sotawatch.org/reflector.php?topic=4620#

Connecting the individual cells together is worthwhile.

Nigel. G6SFP.

In reply to HB9CMI:

Dear SOTA-Friends
Tks to all for your usefull hints.
tks es 73 de HB9BIN, Jürg

In reply to HB9CMI:

Dear Peter
With 100 Watt it is easier to control the pileup, one can work more QSO’s and
you get less covered by Contest-Stations or QRMers!

73 de HB9BIN, Jürg

In reply to HB9BIN_3:
Hallo Jürg, alle träumen von 100 watt. OE9HRV hat neuartige LIFEPO (Lithium Eisen Phosphor Akkus, die sehr leicht sind und mit normalen Ladegeräten für Bleiakkus geladen werden können. die gibts glaube ich, bis 100 Ah oder mehr. Ein Geschäft in Dornbirn führt diese und hat sie auf der Webseite. habe aber leider die WWW Seite nicht zur hand. Der Nachteil für mich - sie sind Sauteuer!!

Holger OE7HPI

In reply to HB9BIN_3:
Hallo Jürg, alle träumen von 100 watt. OE9HRV hat neuartige LIFEPO (Lithium Eisen Phosphor Akkus, die sehr leicht sind und mit normalen Ladegeräten für Bleiakkus geladen werden können. die gibts glaube ich, bis 100 Ah oder mehr. Ein Geschäft in Dornbirn führt diese und hat sie auf der Webseite. habe aber leider die WWW Seite nicht zur hand. Der Nachteil für mich - sie sind Sauteuer!!

Holger OE7HPI

In reply to OE7HPI:
A quick translation might be in order:

“Hello Juerg, everyone dream about 100 watts. OE9HRV has the new’ish LIFEPO (Lithium Iron Phosphate) accumulators which are very light and can be charged using a standard lead-acid charger. They are I believe, available up to 100Ah or more. There is a shop in Dornbin selling them, and they are mentioned on their webpages, but I do not have the web address to hand. The drawback for me - they are extremely expensive!!”

Holger - OE7HPI, I hope you don’t mind my quick translation. The topic of new battery technologies are, I believe, of general interest to all of the SOTA community.
73 de ken - GM0AXY

In reply to GM0AXY:
Tnx translation,Ken! The adress: www.akku-maeser.at
Then looking for LiFePo Akku!
Holger
OE7HPI