Quick report of my joint activation with G7LAS, G/SP-004 Shining Tor, Saturday 15/07/2017…
Both Rob and myself had spent a lot of time in planning this activation. Ernie VK3DET and Jonathan VK7JON had been in touch to say they were hearing EU…However, as we all know, propagation is a cruel mistress and as the saying goes…The best laid plans of mice and men…etc, etc, etc.
The initial plan was to activate Robs local summit G/CE-004, however, with a worse WX forecast than Shining Tor, we decided to change summits at the last minute.
I’d carried some extra gear to the summit, making even the mile and a quater walk to the trig point hard work…We had made all sorts of plans, unfortunately, the WX and a CME had conspired to ruin what should have been a great day, especially for DX.
While I was waiting for Rob to arrive at the trig point, I set up the A-99 for 20m and was QRV at 0630z. I’d been in touch with both Jonathan and Ernie, however, my efforts to work Jonathan who was out portable came to nothing and Ernie was struggling too. Both Ernie VK3DET and myself are no strangers to making SOTA contacts, we’ve worked each other 57 times over the last three years and if he’s struggling, it’s certainly not good news.
Nevertheless, I stayed with 20m, and while waiting for Rob arrive to set up the PSK station, was really pleased to get Dave G4IAR in the log, with a nice groundwave contact.
My final call on 20m before changing modes, was a s2s with Colwyn, signing HB9/MM0YCJ/p who came up on my frequency. Colwyn who was activating HB/VS-059, had no phone or internet coverage and was looking for contacts. He was delighted when I offered to spot him. In the meantime, I handed the mic to Rob, to give Colwyn another much needed contact and a further s2s.
It was at this point the rain started. As luck would have it, Rob had brought a tarp with him. Without the tarp, this activation would have come to a premature end.
Rob then got me underway with PSK on the 20m band. We opted to stay with the A-99 antenna. I knocked off 11 contacts the best of it RA6ASU, before, we set up the new 40m dipole, I’d cut for this activation.
Rob worked his first 40m contact, G4IPB and then the SWR, went through the roof. I stuck my head from under the Tarp, to see the antenna had colapsed in the high wind. With the antenna put back up, Rob made another 7 contacts, before handing the mic back to me, to have one last go on 20m.
Thanks to all the callers.
My tally was 54 contacts, all 20m.
43 ssb, 11 psk.
In terms of WX, this was a pretty miserable activation and in terms of radio, very hard work, with the CME killing off any chance of DX.
Thanks to all the callers.