Light at the End of the Tunnel?

Hi Compton,

Very tough DX wise on 20m. I received messages from VK3, VK6 and VK7 saying they were hearing nothing. Then two VK ssb spots appeared on the DX Cluster and I went down for a listen. Absolutely nothing. To be honest, a couple of the VK’s suggested to me 40m might be the better option?

73 Mike

Looking at sunrise time on Shining Tor (currently 0348) that is just before 2pm in eastern VK. 40m starts producing long path European signals about an hour later here but I think they are using large antennas and lots of power.

Still could be worth a try using a good vertical (full quarter wave high, two or more full size radials) at each end and 50w or more. I have been surprised by good signals on 30m from EU on our afternoons so with the sunspot count so low the lower bands become more attractive.

73 Andrew VK1DA/VK2UH

1 Like

Band conditions and quick report on my activation of G/SP-015 Cloud, Wednesday 05/07/2017.

Its been a considerable time since I last activated G/SP-015 Cloud and so with the prospect of excellent WX, I made my way to the summit, which is about a 35 minute drive from my home QTH, to pick up a point.

The walk to Cloud is short, about 15 minutes. This is not the greatest summit for putting up antennas, you’ll need guy lines. For the VHF activators, Cloud offers excellent take-off, despite its diminutive size of just 343 Metres.

With the colinear and Antron-99 guyed, I made a start on 2m fm working with the X-200 colinear, where I spent about 80 minutes.

The 10m band was utter pants, with just 6 contacts answering my begging, only one of them EU.

Time for a look at 20m. Quite honestly, I wasn’t exactly rushed off my feet, however, I stayed put for about an hour, before returning to 2m fm, where I called CQ for a further hour.

I then received a call to say 20m had perked up and so, I made my way back there. Things had livend up a little and I proceeded to work my way through some of the regular EU chasers, despite dreadful, deep and rapid QSB.

It was now getting close to packing up time, however with the lithium battery still in good shape, I took a final look at 2m fm, where I ran into quite a lot of chasers.

It was VHF that came to the rescue of this activation. If like me, you’re an HF junkie looking for exotic dx, you’ll struggle, in fact you’ll have more chance of knitting fog.

162 contacts logged for the activation, 6 of them summit to summit, was a good result, given the state of the higher HF frequencies.

107 contacts 2m fm.
44 contacts 20m ssb.
6 contacts 10m ssb.
4 contacts 70cm.
1 contact 17m.

Particularly interesting, was a 107 contacts on 2m fm during a midweek activation. The VHF operators are still out there, however, you’ll need to work for the contacts.

Thanks to all the callers…

Mike
2E0YYY

4 Likes

Listening to 40m and 20m at around 0430-0500 today, I heard some weak CW from EA6NB (CQ) on 40m cw, also heard a vk7 calling LP (Beaming away from me) on 20m - may have been some sporadic E helping that to happen. On the same frequency 14.244, a VK5 was also calling CQ.

Andrew vk1da/2uh

Hi Andrew, I’ve been in contact with a number of the VK Chasers and some ideas have been thrown into the mix. I’m on the case with one idea, however, I’m not holding my breath.

During my last activation of G/SP-004, I was convinced at least one VK would find my log, from a summit that has an outstanding HF take-off. Over many years, my Antron-99 has routinely performed the impossible from Shining Tor, unfortunately, last Sunday, it was unable to come up with a miracle.

Mike
2E0YYY

That’s an impressive QSO total Mike - almost as many as M0HGY and I made between us in 5 days and 9 activations in GI this week.

I enjoyed the subtle references and comments in the “other place” :smiley:

I had a listen for Mike, 2E0YYY on PSK 31 tonight on 20m from Sydney, Australia, VK2. Nothing decoded or seen on the waterfall. Sent a few CQ’s out but no action. I’ll keep trying when he tries next.

Currently getting my portable SOTA set up tuned up for JT65, 23cm to 80m. Surley that has to work for DX??

Compton

Quick report of my joint activation with G7LAS, G/SP-004 Shining Tor, Saturday 15/07/2017…

Both Rob and myself had spent a lot of time in planning this activation. Ernie VK3DET and Jonathan VK7JON had been in touch to say they were hearing EU…However, as we all know, propagation is a cruel mistress and as the saying goes…The best laid plans of mice and men…etc, etc, etc.

The initial plan was to activate Robs local summit G/CE-004, however, with a worse WX forecast than Shining Tor, we decided to change summits at the last minute.

I’d carried some extra gear to the summit, making even the mile and a quater walk to the trig point hard work…We had made all sorts of plans, unfortunately, the WX and a CME had conspired to ruin what should have been a great day, especially for DX.

While I was waiting for Rob to arrive at the trig point, I set up the A-99 for 20m and was QRV at 0630z. I’d been in touch with both Jonathan and Ernie, however, my efforts to work Jonathan who was out portable came to nothing and Ernie was struggling too. Both Ernie VK3DET and myself are no strangers to making SOTA contacts, we’ve worked each other 57 times over the last three years and if he’s struggling, it’s certainly not good news.

Nevertheless, I stayed with 20m, and while waiting for Rob arrive to set up the PSK station, was really pleased to get Dave G4IAR in the log, with a nice groundwave contact.

My final call on 20m before changing modes, was a s2s with Colwyn, signing HB9/MM0YCJ/p who came up on my frequency. Colwyn who was activating HB/VS-059, had no phone or internet coverage and was looking for contacts. He was delighted when I offered to spot him. In the meantime, I handed the mic to Rob, to give Colwyn another much needed contact and a further s2s.

It was at this point the rain started. As luck would have it, Rob had brought a tarp with him. Without the tarp, this activation would have come to a premature end.

Rob then got me underway with PSK on the 20m band. We opted to stay with the A-99 antenna. I knocked off 11 contacts the best of it RA6ASU, before, we set up the new 40m dipole, I’d cut for this activation.

Rob worked his first 40m contact, G4IPB and then the SWR, went through the roof. I stuck my head from under the Tarp, to see the antenna had colapsed in the high wind. With the antenna put back up, Rob made another 7 contacts, before handing the mic back to me, to have one last go on 20m.

Thanks to all the callers.

My tally was 54 contacts, all 20m.

43 ssb, 11 psk.

In terms of WX, this was a pretty miserable activation and in terms of radio, very hard work, with the CME killing off any chance of DX.

Thanks to all the callers.

Mike
2E0YYY

1 Like

Hi Mike,
Congrats for your always very productive activations. You amaze me with your very extense logs.
I briefly activated Mt. A Lagoa EA1/CR-034 yesterday at sunset and managed to S2S with Dean K2JB.
Various USA chasers got to my log.
I made it short because I wanted to just briefly participate in the EA National CW contest.
I’m writing this post with my smsrtphone and I hope to be able to write an activation report from my laptop at home telling you about a nice encounter I had with the local wild life.

Guru

1 Like

Mike (and Rob) I listened on both 20m and 40m but I heard nothing. Too close I guess for skywave but too far for groundwave. I suddenly got the radio bug again for some reason. It’s been very difficult making contacts from home lately, the propagation just doesn’t suit my QRP and low inverted vee. The propagation seems to have come up a little over the last few days though.

To go slightly off topic, but in reply to Guru, I saw a spot for @EA2IF last night, as I was due to bring the laundry in from the garden, the SOTA antenna was still up, so I rushed out with a rig but it seems as though I missed out on a QSO about 5 minutes! Better luck next time :slight_smile:

73, Colin

1 Like

What a shame, Colin, I would have loved being chased by you last night and I think propagation Gods were favorable between us because the first QSO was G4OBK with very good signals.
I hope we’ll have some other chance soon.
Best 73,

Guru

Hi Guru, I heard one VK6 station at about 0640z on the 20m band and I listened to him for a minute or two. He was very weak, no chance of me working him. Normally, at that time of the morning any VK would be in a pile-up but this guy seeemed to have no takers.

As for hearing any contacts into North America, I’m afraid we packed up before tha band opened…

73 Mike

Hi Colin, tough conditions at the moment and as for DX it’s like gold dust. To be honest, I’ve been experiencing something of a road to Damascus moment with VHF, especially FM. Since the demise of the higher HF frequencies, I’m convinced there are more people monitoring 145.500 than a year ago… The plan was to work some VHF on Saturday, sadly, the lousy WX put paid to that idea.

73 Mike

Quick report my activation of G/SP-013 Gun 22/08/17.

Its been about five weeks since I’d last done a SOTA activation and I was hoping the higher HF frequencies would be in better shape for DX. Sadly, I was to be disappointed.

The Antron-99 was bungeed into the hawthorn tree and I was qrv at about 0620z. The 20m band had that familiar eerie silence and I knew DX, would be hard work to find.

Ernie VK3DET was monitoring my QRG and hearing nothing. John VK6NU was hearing me but just too weak to work. Nevertheless, I pressed on. At 0825z, I recieved a s2s call from Peter OE5AUL and Sylvia OE5YYN …Thanks guys! By about 0850z, I figured I’d milked the band dry and set up the X-200 colinear for some 2m FM.

To be honest, I wasnt exactly rushed off my feet on VHF. Good to work Graham G7WFK and Peter M1CNL. Best DX contact had to be Jim EI9GLB about 290 killometres about 180 miles in old money.

At around 1030z someone gave me a shout to say the 10m band was open. This was somewhat annoying as I’d already pulled down the Antron-99 and so, had to put it back into the hawthorn tree. A cocktail of the 10m band opening up and Antron-99 can yield some brilliant results. However, the conditions were “just about okay”, so no fireworks were forthcoming, with contacts into EU, but once again, no DX. I did manage one s2s on 10m which don’t happenn too often, thanks to HB9TNF/p.

As far as VK/ZL DX is concerened, the higher HF frequencies aren’t really playing ball and quite frankly, I’m not seeing any light at the end of the tunnel.

Thanks to all the callers…116 contacts for the activation, 10 s2s.

60 contacts 20m ssb.
31 contacts 2m fm.
25 contacts 10m ssb.

Mike
2E0YYY

1 Like

Hi Mike

I was on Mynydd Bodafon GW/NW-071 yesterday, and did listen for you on 2m FM following a heads up from John GW4ZPL/P. The squelch opened a few times, but not enough signal to tell whether it was you or someone working you. Jim EI9GLB was my best DX too, though there was deep QSB between us, with signals dropping out completely for seconds at a time. 5 QSOs in total, in about half an hour, all on 2m FM. I don’t think conditions were on our side.

Adrian
G4AZS

1 Like

Hi Mike,
The predictions for EU-VK for September, don’t look good. Long Path on 30 metres around 0800 UTC "might"be possible but MUF isn’t expected to get as high as 14MHz. 40 metres might be worth a try between 0600 and 0900 UTC.

73 Ed.

Hi Adrian

Many thanks for trying. Had I been on G/SP-004 Shining Tor, it would have been a routine contact. Alan GW4VPX was calling me too. Sadly I couldn’t hear him, so conditions weren’t that great. Mynydd Bodafon GW/NW-071, is on my list this year, it has a very good HF take-off, although I won’t be expecting any miracles :frowning:

73 Mike

Hi Ed, thanks for taking the time to call in. Yeah, I suspect we’re going to struggle on the VK/ZL front for quite some time to come. There maybe the odd opening, something like we experienced on the last VK/ZLJA//EU day, back in March. Tomorrow morning, I plan to dip my toe in the water, altrhough, I haven’t decided where just yet.
There’s little doubting, these band conditions are the real test of your antenna.

73 Mike

Hi Mike - here’s a silly question - is there any reason Long Path wont “work” on 40 metres? I am used to it on 20m and 17m but the propagation charts show that at our usual early morning time, 40m could be open long path from EU to VK.

I realise your Antron doesn’t work on 40m but do you have a dipole you could take along and try tomorrow?

Also VK’s reading this - do you listen on 40m (even with just a dipole) late afternoon eastern Aus time?Do you hear anything from Europe?

Of course very few people have beams on 40m, so that could be a problem as I’m sure the beams in VK help 20m contacts to EU activators with their simple verticals or dipoles.

Ed.

Hi Mike
It was nice to work you again, As I am off ill still at the moment I can only chase, it has been fun and I had a nice signal off you on 20M and heard you later on 2M. Hope to speak again soon

73’s
Paul M0PLA

1 Like