Life on the edge, Snowdon (GW/NW-001) via Crib Goc

Or… my current favourite ascent with possibly the worst SOTA summit I’ve been on so far. Activation date 23rd July 2008.

Life on the edge, Snowdon (GW/NW-001) via Crib Goch.

A phone call from a friend to say the weather was going to be good for a walk (or that’s what my friend said it was going to be) in Snowdonia and how was my head for heights?

The plan was to follow the Pyg track, which starts at Pen-y-pass at the top the Llanberis Pass, then turn off to the right at Bwlch y Moch to follow the path (path is used very loosely in this case) along Crib Goch to eventually pass the trig point at Garnedd Ugain then the tourist path to the summit of Snowdon.

I had seen pictures of the edge we were going to traverse but that does not prepare you for the reality of this adventurous route. Crib Goch rated as a class 1 scramble is a serious undertaking and has had a number of deaths on its slopes (some involving experienced rock climbers) so care and concentration is constantly required.

Initially there is a defined path but that disappears very quickly as you get closer to the imposing lump of jagged rock that begins to tower over you. We weren’t the only people working our way up so at various points I was asked what the pole was for (in my wisdom I carried my home built J-pole which is mounted inside a 5’ (1.5m) PVC tube) to which I at first replied “amateur radio” and later during the morning added “to make the climbing more difficult!”.

There is no one single route to the beginning of the ridge so it was just a case of carefully picking your way up as there is no definitive path, it’s just a case of making your own. The ridge itself is extremely exposed with a vertical drop on the right side (big fall and certain death!) and on the left a very steep slope with pointy rocks (big fall, lots of injuries then death!). Chatting to people who had done the route before the consensus was to go over all the pinnacles and not to try to go round them! At least two have vertical drops to one side on the easiest climbs though.

As we traversed the ridge you could easily see in the distance the hordes of bodies, looking like ants on a branch, working their way up to Snowdon. I was so pleased to not be among them but knew soon I would be. But before that there was the respite of Bwlch Coch and the climb over Crib y Ddsgyl to complete.

Eventually we made it to the very quiet trig point at Garnedd Ugain to enjoy the tranquil views of Snowdonia and to assess what we’d just completed, a spot that seems to be over looked by the people desperate to join the throng at the building site which will be the new station and café on the summit of Snowdon. Unfortunately to clam the activation I had to join the crowds of screaming children, complaining teenagers, arguing couples and building noise! All this on a week day, I wondered just how bad it is on a weekend.

My J-pole was wedged in some rocks and connected to my 817. Contacts came quickly so the requisite 4 was no trouble. I had checked the frequency I intended to use before calling CQ but after a short while (and a number of contacts) I heard 2 weak stations move on frequency and start a conversation only to complain about others calling someone on a hill! The reason I changed frequency.

While on the summit we were treated to a fly past by not one but two of the RAF rescue helicopters which circled round a couple of times before flying into the distance.

The descent was via the Pyg track back to where we were parked which gave a good impression of the route we had taken. Would I do it again? The answer is definitely a yes but without SOTA gear next time :o)

I think this activation has possibly equalised out the very easy ascents and nice summits I did in Germany and Switzerland. The next hill planned in the area will probably be Tryfan, I’m quite taken with scrambling :o)

Thank you to John (GW4BVE) and Mike (GW0DSP) for the spots.

Sorry to any stations who heard me but was unable to make contact. During the short activation 13 stations were worked, all with FM.

Equipment used: Yaesu FT-817, 2.5W (except for final 4 contacts @ 5W) into a home built J-pole at ground level.

Carolyn (G6WRW)

In reply to G6WRW:
Great write up Carolyn!

I’m quite taken with scrambling :o)

Glad you enjoyed it… try “The Bristly Ridge” up Glyder Fach as well as Tryfan if you’re in that vicinity… and then go back and do Crib Goch in the winter… very sporting… especially without crampons!

73 Marc G0AZS

In reply to G0AZS:
Well done, Carolyn!

Some more really fine scrambles: do Crib Goch by the North Ridge, or Crib y Ddysgyl by the Clogwyn y Person arete, both very nice scrambles, not too serious and avoiding the crowds until you reach the Horseshoe. Also Glyder Fawr by the Seniors Ridge, very scenic on a fine day!

Brian G8ADD

In reply to G8ADD:

Yeah, nice one. Now I’m really jealous, you had a crackin day for it, I spent half the time in the cloud when I was on Crib Goch last year.

North ridge of Tryfan, no worries after Crib Goch, you have to think about some of the moves a bit more when you have a fishing pole strapped to your back, well I did anyway. Yeah, Bristly ridge too and you could even decend via Gribin ridge for a bit of a classic day.

Seniors Ridge is good too as Brian says and much much quieter than the more popular spots in the Ogwen Valley and a bit easier too.

Whichever you do, if you’ve come back from Crib Goch with a smile you’ll love it, scrambling’s a bit a like Sota though, it’s adictive!

Now I need to stop playing on my mountain bike long enough to get some more Sota in…

Iain, M3WJZ

In reply to G6WRW:

Thanks for a terrific report Carolyn, very graphic and well written making it enjoyable to read, you left me feeling very envious.
If I ever manage to activate Snowdon it will be the train for me, although I have been promised a lift up with a friend who is currently working on the summit complex.

Mike GW0DSP

Thank you for the routes.

Looked them up and they are now on my “to do” list.

Carolyn

In reply to G6WRW: Your excellent write up brings back memories of 1966, on a similar beautiful day. Not sure if I’ve got the bottle now, but (don’t tell my XYL) I’d love to find out. I’d even take a handie and wire J-Pole.

Regards, Dave, M0DFA/G6DTN