Band: 30m
Radio:Rockmite 10Mc
Finish Voltage:NA v@-5c
Antenna:Dipole @ 8m agl
QSOs: 4
DXCCs: 3 DL,OK,LA
Cumulative QSOs: 544
Cumulative DXCC: 26
(DL,EA,ES,EW,F,G,GW,HA,HB9,I,LA,LY,LX,OE,OH,ON,OM,OK,OZ,PA,SM,SP,S5,YO,UA,UR )

73 DE LA1KHA Kjell

Battery: #1
Activation: #7
Date: 04/02/12
Summit: G/NP-028
Finish Voltage: 8.51V
Rig: MRM-39 - home brew for challenge 2012 PP3 Challenge rig | Rig built for LA1KHA's PP3 challeng… | Flickr
Ant: Inv. Vee dipole at 6m above ground
QSOs: 14
New DXCCs: 1 GW
Cumulative QSOs: 59
Cumulative DXCC: 14 DL,EA,F,G,GW,HA,HB9,LA,OM,ON,OZ,PA,S5,SP
WX - very cold, snow later

First of all, an apology. Sorry for not getting on air for my alerted time, this was due to various reasons.

Today there was an organised hike over Ilkley Moor (Rombalds Moor) called the Rombalds Stride. My local RAYNET group were providing comms, so once again I volunteered to do the ‘cold’ checkpoint - the one where you can’t stay in your nice warm car! I was actually the ‘second’ op, so SOTA ideas came into my mind as the checkpoint was inside the activation zone :slight_smile:

My plan was to get to the checkpoint an hour early and activate for SOTA, then begin my RAYNET duties at around 10am. As usual it took me a long time to get all my kit ready, meaning I left my QTH later than I would have liked. The weather forecast (from Norway! - http://www.yr.no/) indicated snow at around 1200UTC, so I planned ahead and parked my car at the bottom of the road facing downhill, instead of near the transmitters (this turned out to be a wise decision). The result was an extra 30-40 minutes walk.

I arrived at my checkpoint just in time for my RAYNET duties, so the activation for SOTA was put on hold. With agreement from my colleague, the first op, I set up my HF dipole an hour or so later, trying to get the activation for SOTA done before the snow started falling.

I self spotted using the SMS spot service (Thanks Andy) and very shortly after, Åge, LA1ENA, was in the log. I then was hit by what seemed like a huge pile up! It was amazing working a pile up whilst running 100mW! In all I worked 14 stations, my best result yet, before the snow started to fall. I had to go QRT pretty quickly, so sorry if I missed anyone. Band conditions seemed really good today with equally good signals from G and EU. Juerg, HB9BIN, was extremely strong.

By the time I got back to my car the snow was getting quite heavy and had settled on the road down from the transmitters. The main roads were clear, so I got back to my home without problems.

I really enjoyed myself today, it was one of those days where you don’t really expect much but you end up having a great time. I was glad to get back to my car after being out in the cold for so many hours!

Colin
M0CGH
:slight_smile:

Edit - BTW the WX forecast was spot on -it was about 1210UTC when the snow started!

In reply to M0CGH:

I don’t have time to partake in the challenge but I do follow the results.

I’ve spent some time working on our mobile phone SoC simulations helping our customers simulate alternate power stratergies so that battery life can be stretched as more and more hardware is added to phones. It’s an enormous part of the design process. The way manufacturers give the battery life says so much. My tech world is awash with news that Intel has a Medfield Atom CPU running Android in some phones. Intel CPUs are known worldwide for the heat they produce compared to ARM chips.

How did Intel describe the battery life? Well it’s “comensurate with other smartphones in its class”. Which is marketing speak for “it sucks so hard it can suck a bowling ball up a garden hose” :slight_smile: They don’t save if you will need to hold the phone in an oven glove when you are using it either.

So whilst there’s only a few of you active in this on SOTA, there are thousands of engineers working on exactly the same problem, get more life out of the battery, but on a much bigger scale. And I didn’t think there were 500+ QSOs worth of power in a PP3.

It will interesting to see how repeatable the endurance is between different batteries of the same brand.

Andy
MM0FMF

Stats:29/01/2012
Battery: #5
Activation: #48
Summit: LA/TM-049
Finish Voltage:NA v@-5c
QSOs: 1
DXCCs: 1,LA
Cumulative QSOs: 545

Stats:30/01/2012
Activation: #49
Finish Voltage:NA v@-11c
QSOs: 6
DXCCs: 4 DL,G,LA,S5
Cumulative QSOs: 551

Stats:07/02/2012
Activation: #50
Finish Voltage:NA v@-4c
QSOs: 2
DXCCs: 2 DL,OM
Cumulative QSOs: 553

73 de LA1KHA Kjell

Stats:08/02/2012
Activation: #51
Finish Voltage:7.23v@-6c
QSOs: 14
DXCCs: 7 DL,G,GM,HB9,OE,OM,S5
Cumulative QSOs: 567
Cumulative DXCC: 27
(DL,EA,ES,EW,F,G,GM,GW,HA,HB9,I,LA,LY,LX,OE,OH,ON,OM,OK,OZ,PA,SM,SP,S5,YO,UA,UR )

Battery 7.23v now so power must be low.Radio is stored in rucksack in my company car. And out all day in frost. BUT Still manage to make qso`s but more of them give 339 than ever. New DXCC worked to day MM0GYX

Will battery last for 600 QSO?
I find this incredible.
73 de LA1KHA Kjell

In reply to LA1KHA:
Kjell, FB to work you with your rockmite. My call is MM0GYX, maybe a slip of the keyboard, you got it during the qso. Thanks and good luck for more qrpp with your 9 volt cells.

I have a 40m rockmite but my brain’s cw filter is not mature enough to make sense of the signals yet. I have better luck with the SW+20, a relative QRO rig!

73, Ian.

Sorry for error on page. Now packing rucksack for Edinburgh trip this week end.
Tanks for qso Ian. The excellent design on RM give possibility to monitoring wide frq range at same time. Not many rigs has this option. :slight_smile: I also enjoy Radio Moscow all time when sun down. This is a good design thing so ham operators can be updated with latest news and music. To day I belive some DX was on 10.118 vy QRM
Fingers got little cold to day…

Stats:09/02/2012
Activation: #52
Finish Voltage:7.20v@-8c
DXCCs: 2 DL,SP
Cumulative QSOs: 569
Cumulative DXCC: 27
(DL,EA,ES,EW,F,G,GM,GW,HA,HB9,I,LA,LY,LX,OE,OH,ON,OM,OK,OZ,PA,SM,SP,S5,YO,UA,UR )

73 de LA1KHA Kjell

In reply to LA1KHA:

11-Feb-12
Battery: #1. Activation: #37
Summit: G/SP-013. Band: 30m
Radio: TGS (DC RX, Class E TX - 100mW o/p)
Imgur
Antenna: Inverted Vee Dipole @ 6m agl
Battery: PP3 Energizer Hi Tech
Finish Voltage at room temp: ? Volts
New DXCCs: None
Cumulative DXCCs: 19 (ON, S5, OK, PA, G, DK, I, LA, F, OE, HB9, HA, SM, 9A, EV, EA, OZ, GW, OM)
QSOs: 6. Cumulative QSOs: 439

13-Feb-12
Battery: #1. Activation: #38
Imgur
Cumulative DXCCs: 19 (ON, S5, OK, PA, G, DK, I, LA, F, OE, HB9, HA, SM, 9A, EV, EA, OZ, GW, OM)
QSOs: 8. Cumulative QSOs: 447

Plodding on.

Richard
G3CWI

Battery: #1
Activation: #8
Date: 10/02/12
Summit: G/NP-028
Finish Voltage: 8.42V
Rig: MRM-39 - home brew for challenge 2012 PP3 Challenge rig | Rig built for LA1KHA's PP3 challeng… | Flickr
Ant: Inv. Vee dipole at 6m above ground
New DXCCs: 0
Cumulative QSOs: 61
Cumulative DXCC: 14 DL,EA,F,G,GW,HA,HB9,LA,OM,ON,OZ,PA,S5,SP
WX - very cold, paths very icy

Due to my my family’s trip to Devon, I would be unable to get on air during the weekend. I want to try and keep going with my CW, so I booked a day off from work to activate Rombald’s Moor again.

I was late arriving at the summit (!) due to the road being extremely icy. I again left my car at the bottom of the road to the summit and walked for an extra 40 or so minutes. I had made the right decision, as a vehicle was seen to have had a mishap when I returned to my car later on.

Unfortunately I had another ‘off day’ with my CW, working only 2 stations and not managing to complete with one station, which I didn’t log, putting it down as a ‘got away’. I blame myself, as my CW was not at all up to scratch. (What is it about Fridays?!).

I tried again on 18MHz, but there were no takers. The band seemed very lively and I heard a US station briefly. I was again picked up by OH6BG on the Reverse Beacon site, so I know that some RF is getting out!

Not an activation to remember, 2 QSO’s in the log for about 100 mins of operating - better next time I hope!

73 de Colin M0CGH

Well, it still increases the total by two Colin.

I am still looking for suitable weekend opportunities to come up and do a joint activation with you, as discussed. Hopefully sometime soon.

73, Tom M1EYP

In reply to M1EYP:

14-Feb-12
Battery: #1. Activation: #39
Imgur
QSOs: 4. Cumulative QSOs: 451

Slow going. DF5WA first as usual.

Richard
G3CWI

In reply to M1EYP:

FB Tom, I am looking forward to a possible joint activation.

Colin
M0CGH

In reply to M0CGH:

15-Feb-12
Battery: #1. Activation: #40
Imgur
QSOs: 1. Cumulative QSOs: 452

Very slow going. :frowning:

Richard
G3CWI

16-Feb-12

Wet and windy.
TGS has been in sick bay. Dry joint and near short. Both fixed.

Battery: #1. Activation: #41
Summit: G/SP-004. Band: 30m
Imgur
Cumulative DXCCs: 19 (ON, S5, OK, PA, G, DK, I,
LA, F, OE, HB9, HA, SM, 9A, EV, EA, OZ, GW, OM)
QSOs: 2. Cumulative QSOs: 454

Very very slow going. :frowning:

Richard
G3CWI

In reply to G3CWI:

Sorry to hear TGS has not been well :frowning:

Glad that TGS is well again. I often wonder, and have been asked, as to how much temperature and humidity affects our radios.

My rig design uses a case that needs to be opened to connect the battery and turn it on. I didn’t want to use an external cable to apply power, as I thought it would be all too easy to leave it at home! I intended to provide an insulated battery bay inside the rig, but this has not been implemented as yet.

I have noticed that my rig forms condensation inside when I bring it into the warmth of my home. I leave the top open and allow it to dry out after each activation.

The only thing to have suffered so far is my straight key - it is made from brass and it has become slightly corroded in one small area. I have ordered another Czech army key from Mike G0CVZ, so my brass key can stay at home.

Sorry to hear you have been struggling for contacts Richard, I also find it hard to win contacts during week days. It is reassuring that it’s not just me and my poor op skills that are to blame, when such a good op as yourself also finds it hard going at times.

My 18MHz challenge rig is about to be let loose, I have almost got it working :slight_smile:

72 and hope you have many more QSO’s next time.

Colin
M0CGH

In reply to G3CWI:

16-Feb-12

Wet and windy.

Thanks for the 2m contact on G/SP-013 Richard, I thought you may find it a bit windy up there :frowning:

Very very slow going. :frowning:

Very slow on 2m also, nearly 2 hours yielded just 21 QSOs.

Looking on the bright side, it won’t take long to log them.

73 Mike
2E0YYY

In reply to M0CGH:

In the early days of SOTA I experimented with a touch sensitive key that relied on contact resistance. It seemed like a good idea at the time - no contacts, no moving parts. A few activation on hot sunny days were a great success. Then the Autumn arrived. It was then, on a damp foggy day, that I discovered the weakness of that approach. The keyer went mad and it was impossible to calm it down. It was its last outing :slight_smile: It remains here on the windowsill of the shack. Another heroic failure.

Richard
G3CWI

18-Feb-12
Battery: #1. Activation: #42
Imgur
QSOs: 0. Cumulative QSOs: 454

30 mins CQing. It doesn’t get worse.

Richard
G3CWI

In reply to G3CWI:

Oh dear :frowning:

I did hear a lot of contest activity this morning on the contest bands, so maybe all the CW ops were contesting! Or was it maybe that the 30m was very busy with stations who would normally be on the non WARC bands swamping QRPp with QRO.

Maybe the non contest ops were sheltering in the higher WARC bands.

Hope your luck improves soon.

Colin
M0CGH

Warm and pleasant

Battery: #1. Activation: #42
Imgur
QSOs: 7. Cumulative QSOs: 461

Richard
G3CWI