LA1KHA's PP3/MN1604 Challenge

In reply to LA1KHA:

Hi Kjell

That’s rather unexpected! I await the postman with keen anticipation. Thank you.

Vy 73

Richard
G3CWI

In reply to LA1KHA:
A PP3 battery I wonder :wink:

Well done Richard!

Roger MW0IDX

In reply to MW0IDX Roger:
Good idea, but I don’t think he need one for still some days :slight_smile:

To day superb wx here, yesterday was so bad.
But still dark in evening.
Who would believe that one can make so mny QSO with so low power on a simple Transceiver.

Stats:04/01/2012
Battery: #5
Activation: #34
Summit: LA/TM-049
Band: 30m
Radio:Rockmite 10Mc@50mW (se text)
Ant: Dipole @8m up
Finish Voltage:na v@-0c
QSOs: 19
DXCCs: 10 DL,G,HA,HB9,OE,OM,OK,LA,S5,UA(5)
Cumulative QSOs: 437
Cumulative DXCC: 26
(DL,EA,ES,EW,F,G,GW,HA,HB9,I,LA,LY,LX,OE,OH,ON,OM,OK,OZ,PA,SM,SP,S5,YO,UA,UR )

To all tnx for call and qso.
Soon 1000 QSO with the PP3 battery’s since 2009.This is my 5.th battery.
Price pr qso is low. In compaction to my 23cm QSO`s they are still expensive…

Tested rig on LA1G our radio group. 50mW +/- out.
Imgur
Imgur
Signals low as 0.2uV was detected, but when a ant is connected it is lively in the headphones.
Signal like the 599 I report are 7uV and a lot of you have signal 20uV from the sound in headphones.
The Rockmite is a great transceiver due to simplicity and price. Even a unmodified rig is relative acceptable,But I do belive with a filter of better quality in rx and a xtal for higher frq abt 10.125MHz should be better.
A real super reciever draw not a lot more current and this is my next plan here. A vfo rig with Super RX and lower power,
A dream at last.

I use the battery to no one come back.
Back tomorrow for more QRPp fun
Will it last 450 QSO?

73 de LA1KHA Kjell

In reply to LA1KHA:

The Rockmite is a great transceiver due to simplicity and price. Even
a unmodified rig is relative acceptable,But I do belive with a filter
of better quality in rx and a xtal for higher frq abt 10.125MHz should
be better.

Kjell, N4ESS does 10.125MHz crystals here:

http://www.expandedspectrumsystems.com/prod4.html

N4ESS also has the crystals on Ebay, with low cost shipping (US$2.80)-

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Crystals-QRP-Ham-Radio-frequencies-HC49-Cylindrical-/110795001353?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19cbe58e09

If you would like to try for a QRPp S2S, I will also buy some 10.125MHz crystals. I think a 9V summit to summit would be great! My rig uses sockets for crystals, so crystals can be changed as required.

A real super reciever draw not a lot more current and this is my next
plan here. A vfo rig with Super RX and lower power,
A dream at last.

I wonder if you can update us with any progress on your Miss Mosquita rig?

Colin
M0CGH
RockMite fanatic!

In reply to LA1KHA:

I am intrigued Kjell. Has the output of your radio fallen to 50mW or have you adjusted it? I am amazed to see you using a live battery for tests. Mine is kept strictly for contacts. I would not want to waste any energy!

Incidentally, I would be very cautious about the accuracy of your power meter, most are not accurate at these low levels. I use a Boonton 42BD:

Good to 10GHz max power 100mW. I measure using precision attenuators.

Richard
G3CWI

In reply to G3CWI Richard and M0CGH Colin:
I have now ordered x-tals for 10.125 and 10.140 thanks for info Colin.
S2s would be nice… But band must be quite so a little up is great.

Tanks Richard for info ,May be the meter is not correct. but the most correct around here :-).No mods done in radio. I think i saw a simple probe for v-meter in one magazine , cant remember witch.And calculate P out.
I use real battery for test to se output,(Look how long they last anyhow,) the battery now are weak and 7.4v@-2c today.
Wondering why voltage is not constant lower for each time.
I use small v-meter on top, but in the car I use a Fluke 117.
But try to make as few CQ as possible, and NO RAG CHEW.- But QSO is minimum G3CWI de LA1KHA/p -TU 5NN Bk and BK CFM 73 SK
Why 599 well all are strong, or stronger. Even the other stations.

Well to day:
Stats:05/01/2012
Activation: #35
Radio:Rockmite 10Mc
Finish Voltage:7.4 v@-c
QSOs: 10
DXCCs: 5 DL,G,HA, ,LA,PA
Cumulative QSOs: 447

73 de LA1KHA Kjell

In reply to LA1KHA & G3CWI:

My RF probe used with my DMM seem to match my QRP power/swr meter (2Watt FSD)
quite well when measuring my QRP projects.

My probe was bought as a kit at Rishworth Convention, but is it easy to home brew one.

Would it not be possible to use an oscilloscope to work out the RF power out, by measuring the peak voltage into a 50R load, multiplying by 0.707 to give RMS, than squaring the result and dividing by 50? (Vrms^2/R)

I tried to listen for you today Kjell on several web based receivers, but all I heard was ON5SY calling CQ.

Kjell, it’s a shame you didn’t quite make 450 QSO’s today, but I’m sure you’ll do it next time out. :slight_smile: It is simply amazing to have so many QSO’s on such a power system!

Colin

In reply to M0CGH Colin.
Tanks for info.
Yes I do have a small power meter some where here but is is for 450MHz up to 500mW (Comersial UHF test) My bird instrument dont have probes to go so low in power.
I have problem with station close by frq. If zero beat it is better. But managed 10QSO , yes back tomorrow. If wx is as bad as earlier this week I may go direct home from work and relax on sofa :slight_smile:
The last night some snow come, but daytime makes most melt. Part of Icy path up now so I use some thing under my shoes whit spikes. So I do not fall.

I have plan to put in channal selector and now I see the use for a link in emitter on “PA” : So I can measure the input currant and at last get POWER DC IMPUT

I forgot the Miss Moscita. It was shipped to Kragero , They corrected it yesterday and now the kit is somewhere but not here. Post office promised it will be here on Monday.

73 de LA1KHA Kjell

In reply to M0CGH Colin.
Tanks for info.
Yes I do have a small power meter some where here but is is for 450MHz up to 500mW (Comersial UHF test) My bird instrument dont have probes to go so low in power.
I have problem with station close by frq. If zero beat it is better. But managed 10QSO , yes back tomorrow. If wx is as bad as earlier this week I may go direct home from work and relax on sofa :slight_smile:
The last night some snow come, but daytime makes most melt. Part of Icy path up now so I use some thing under my shoes whit spikes. So I do not fall.

I have plan to put in channal selector and now I see the use for a link in emitter on “PA” : So I can measure the input currant and at last get POWER DC IMPUT

I forgot the Miss Moscita. It was shipped to Kragero , They corrected it yesterday and now the kit is somewhere but not here. Post office promised it will be here on Monday.

73 de LA1KHA Kjell

Stats:06/01/2012
Activation: #36
Finish Voltage:7.4v@-2c
QSOs: 9
DXCCs: 7 DL,G,HA,OK ,LA,PA,SP
Cumulative QSOs: 458

My Miss Moscita:
Was on post to day and they got all under control.Where my parcel is they answer “under way”. My “I come by tomorrow” was answered with "No, try Thursday"
I hate when they say TRY , Some day it turn up in right place.
Better not think of it: Was sent from Berlin Germany 19.Desember 2011

More fun with my PP3 battery to morrow.
Be aware
73 de LA1KHA Kjell

In reply to LA1KHA:

Sorry to hear your kit is stuck in the post system somewhere, hope it turns up soon!

I ordered some 10.125MHz crystals, I received an email saying that they were mailed yesterday afternoon. Hopefully they will be here in a week or two.

Well done on your 458 QSO’s, the 500 QSO target is not so far away! Your battery voltage is looking good too.

I hope to activate another summit for the challenge at the end of next week.

Colin
M0CGH

Stats:07/01/2011
Battery: #1
Activation: #3
Summit: G/NP-028
Finish Voltage: 8.68V
Rig: MRM-39 - home brew for challenge 2012 PP3 Challenge rig | Rig built for LA1KHA's PP3 challeng… | Flickr
Ant: Inv. Vee dipole at 6m above ground
QSOs: 7
DXCCs: 4 DL,HA,LA,OZ
Cumulative QSOs: 27
Cumulative DXCC: 12 DL,F,G,HA,HB9,LA,OM,ON,OZ,PA,S5,SP
WX - Dry, quite windy, cold (by UK standards!).

Last minute decision to activate, so no alerts. 30m sounded quite busy today and QSO’s were hard to win. Nice to see the battery voltage is levelling out, especially after so much CQ’ing!

Thanks to all callers, I appreciate the QRS replies to my CQ’s, I realise that I’m going a lot slower than most SOTA CW ops!

Colin
M0CGH

Disaster. 15 mins CQ, 1 contact. No way to self spot as left phone at work.

Battery: #1. Activation: #34
Summit: G/SP-013. Band: 30m
Radio: TGS (DC RX, Class E TX - 100mW o/p)
Imgur
Antenna: Inverted Vee Dipole @ 6m agl
Battery: PP3 Energizer Hi Tech
Finish Voltage at room temp: 7.72 Volts
New DXCCs: None
Cumulative DXCCs: 19 (ON, S5, OK, PA, G, DK, I, LA, F, OE, HB9, HA, SM, 9A, EV, EA, OZ, GW, OM)
QSOs: 1. Cumulative QSOs: 415

Shows how important those self spots are.

Richard
G3CWI

In reply to G3CWI:
No luck here either. Condx not the best. Had to use my FT-817 at 500mW to qualify the activation. Had forgot my logging paper so one positive thing about not too many qso’s.hi (Logging on a very small paper I found in my wallet.)

Battery: #1
BATTERY: Panasonic Xtreme power
Activation: #8
Summit: LA/TM-015
Finish Voltage: 8,50
QSOs: 3
DXCCs: 2 (G,DL)

Cumulative QSOs: 53
Cumulative DXCC: 13 (G,PA,UA2,GW,DL,HB9,ON,OK,LY,HA,OE,SP,LX,S5)

Will try again later.
73 Aage
LA1ENA

In reply to LA1ENA Aage.
Nice activation Aage.
Was snowing on Holtankollen and my key made lots of problem . Adjusted gap on dot and dash to over 2mm and it worked. (snow was melting in contacts.)

Stats:09/01/2012
Activation: #37
Finish Voltage:NA v@-3c
Antenna: Dipole 8m agl
QSOs: 11
DXCCs: 8 DL,G,HA,LA,PA,SP,S5,UR
Cumulative QSOs: 469

73 de LA1KHA Kjell

want to be my friend on facebook look for : kjell eriksen skien

Activation: #38
Finish Voltage:NA v@-2c
QSOs: 8
DXCCs: 6 DL,G,HA,HB9,OM,PA
Cumulative QSOs: 477

Battery may hold for 500 QSO…
Please try calling me .

73 de LA1KHA Kjell

In reply to LA1KHA:

Took the afternoon off work because I have a sore back, hopefully it will be ok for my planned activation on Sunday. I tried listening for you, Kjell, this afternoon using my FT817 (a commercial rig - shame on me!, but I couldn’t hear anything from you. I think I did hear some stations working you, but hard to tell with all the QRN! Oh well, it kept me amused for a while :slight_smile:

You are so near to 500 QSO’s - I really hope your battery lasts a while longer.

However long your battery lasts though, you have achieved something amazing already. It is just simply awesome that your little battery has powered so much communication. I wonder if you will mount your battery on a plinth with a plaque when it finally gives it’s last mAH! :wink:

72 and congratulations!

Colin
M0CGH

In reply to M0CGH:

I wonder if you will mount your
battery on a plinth with a plaque when it finally gives it’s last mAH!

I am sure Kjell is going to make it to 500. However, I would caution against mounting flat batteries as they usually leak eventually. Surely a better thing is to recycle it so that it has a second life (albeit a less exciting one in a smoke alarm). I can imagine that battery on the shelf in a supermarket somewhere telling all the younger batteries about the exciting life it led in a previous existence.

Richard
G3CWI

In reply to G3CWI:

Richard I was joking of course! Maybe a bronze could be cast instead? :wink:

I would probably end up using Kjell’s battery in my regen RX if he recycles it, I seem to go through lots of PP3s! They actually give good service, but my radio gets a lot of use, it’s my main rig at M0CGH (MFJ-8100K). I’ve started buying my batteries in bulk now.

All my old batteries go to the supermarket recycling point (those bins scare me with all the batteries being thrown in with bare terminals!). My ‘spent’ PP3’s generally read between 4 and 6V when I recycle them, they still have some ‘potential’ to be dangerous!

Colin
M0CGH

In reply to M0CGH Colin and G3CWI Richard:
3 of my used battery I have still on shelf.
These PP3 last forever. But if you use them to 4v I must say that you are economic.
Here also battery’s are going to recycling.I do belive if we took some of them we could make free qso all year around. (If using QRPp - )

Stats:11/01/2012
Activation: #39
Finish Voltage:NA v@-2c
QSOs: 15
DXCCs: 10 DL,EW,G,I,HA,HB9,OE,OK,OM,PA
Cumulative QSOs: 492

I try to put up a list of witch summits has been activated with QRPp ( 1 qso or more from all of us)

England was no. 1 followed by Norway, Denmark and Wales
G/CE-004
G/NP-004, G/NP-028
G/SE-013
G/SP-004, G/SP-005, G/SP-010, G/SP-013, G/SP-015, G/SP-017,
G/WB-005, G/WB-010

GW/NW-032,GW/NW-053

OZ/OZ-001, OZ/OZ-006,OZ/OZ-012

LA/AH-009
LA/TM-015, LA/TM-017, LA/TM-049, LA/TM-249
LA/VF-002, LA/VF-010

73 de LA1KHA Kjell