LA on 5mHz

I just worked Lars LA2OKA on 5mHz and he tells me that amateurs in Norway can use the band, which was previously restricted to club stations only. He was having great fun working lots of new countries on the band. G, GW, GM, EI, OK etc.

Anyone know if /P operation is permissible? If so are any LA stations planning on doing 5Mhz from summits?

Regards Steve GW7AAV

In reply to GW7AAV:
Hi Steve
I’m not quite sure that Lars is allowed to make QSOs on 5MHz yet because as far as I know there has not been released an official band plan. I could be wrong about this. I have e-mailed the Norwegian HF Traffic Manager and asked him to clarify.

I plan to do a lot of 5MHz from summits.

Mads, LA1TPA

In reply to LA1TPA:
Hi this is the band plan for Norway in English:

http://translate.googleusercontent.com/translate_c?hl=en&sl=no&u=http://www.lovdata.no/ltavd1/filer/sf-20091105-1340.html&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dhttp://www.lovdata.no/ltavd1/filer/sf-20091105-1340.html%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DG&rurl=translate.google.co.uk&usg=ALkJrhh3xYVKzD4XwnGSu7sFlUPaYRw5cg

and Norwegian language link:

http://www.lovdata.no/ltavd1/filer/sf-20091105-1340.html

Alan MM0XXP

In reply to MM0XXP:
That is not the band plan for Norway but the Regulations for Amateur Radio License with frequency allocations. What I miss is the band plan that tells me where to work cw and where to work ssb and what channels to use like this one for 70MHz: http://nrrl.no/Lib/download.asp?fn=News/Documents/373986389_70MHzBandplan.pdf

Edit: I have talked to the Norwegian HF Traffic Manager one the phone and he has not been able to study the new regulations yet.

Mads, LA1TPA

In reply to LA1TPA:

Information I recieved from a Norwegian station I heard earlier today is that as of 5th November Norwegian amateurs can use 5260KHz to 5410KHz with a maximum output power of 100 Watts.

I do not know if a special permit is required, or whether it is open to all licensed amateurs.

The Norwegian authorities have not yet decided whether to allocate channels as in the UK, or whether to recommend USB or LSB for voice communications.

If you are a Norwegian amateur, please check with your authorities before transmitting.

Mark G0VOF

In reply to G0VOF:

It doesn’t matter what the regulations are, what’s needed are decent antennas for LA stations! There was an LA2 calling CQ non-stop through a three way S2S I was having with Jack GM4COX/p and Robin GM7PKT/p on FE this afternoon. By the time I QSY’d to 40m he was 58 with me. Could he really not hear us.

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to G0VOF:

I do not know if a special permit is required, or whether it is open to all licensed amateurs.

Speaking to Per LA1TNA today I was informed that the band allocation was to all Norwegian Amateurs (no permit required) and is un-channelised with no restrictions on mode. Allocation is on a secondary basis and has no time limit like the UKs NoV.

Regards Steve GW7AAV

In reply to LA1TPA:

I plan to do a lot of 5MHz from summits.

That is what I wanted to hear :0) The LA stations I have heard so far seem as strong as most UK stations, so it could be very good for SOTA.

Lets hope there is something in print so we can all be sure what the legality is from a Norwegian perspective. Hopefully the UK will follow suit with a permanent allocation when the present NoV runs out.

Congratulations also on the 4m allocation.

Regards Steve GW7AAV

In reply to GW7AAV:

so it could be very good for SOTA.

Only if they can hear us! :wink:

And Steve, can you email me at mm0fmf AT hotmail.com.

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to MM0FMF:

In reply to GW7AAV:

And Steve, can you email me at mm0fmf AT hotmail.com.

I did that already!

Steve

In reply to MM0FMF:
Its not just LA’s that were not hearing us I gave OZ8ABE a call on 5.371.5mhz at 5/9+40 db with no reply.

The next G station to work him with 100watt got a 5/8 with QSB and his QRO of 1000 watt!

only 250 x the power of my 817! no surprise I got no answer.

This was the splater you were getting when you were having the 3 way S2S with Jack(COX)and Robin(PKT).

Alan MM0XXP

In reply to MM0XXP:

Its not just LA’s that were not hearing us I gave OZ8ABE a call on
5.371.5mhz at 5/9+40 db with no reply.

So are you telling us that OZ stations are also allowed to use the 5 MHz band now?

Mind you, there are not many summits in Denmark!
:wink:

73 de G3NYY

In reply to G3NYY:

Mind you, there are not many summits in Denmark!
:wink:

Well Walt, there are 12 summits that would qualify at P100 in OZ. Hard to believe but true.

73 Marc G0AZS

PS I forgot to say… 2 at P150

In reply to G3NYY:
They have for a while Walt but is an extra “Pay to Use band” :slight_smile:

Roger G4OWG

In reply to G4OWG:

They have for a while Walt but is an extra “Pay to Use band”
:slight_smile:

Thanks, Roger. Very interesting. I have never heard one!
:slight_smile:

Walt (G3NYY)

In reply to G3NYY:

I have never heard one

Flam OZ1AXG and Bo OZ8ABE to name two who I have worked on 5mHz.

There have been a couple of OZs working the LAs on 5mHz in the last few days.

Steve

In reply to GW7AAV:
Some details of the new band allocations in Norway have been posted on the ARRL website;- ARRL - Home

73 de Ken - GM0AXY aka LA6EF

I heard an LA4 in QSO with GA4WMM, Stuart this afternoon at 15.10-ish and the norwegian was 55 here , Stuart 58. Then shortly thereafter came another LA in QSO with another scottish station. Both about the same signals as the ones before.

Peter

In reply to GM0AXY:

Yes but I beat them to it at http://www.cqhq.co.uk where it was news on Saturday at 1908 UTC*. The ARRL picked it up from Southgate ARC news today.

;0) Regards Steve GW7AAV aka The J. Jonah Jameson of Amateur radio reporting on the Internet.

*Could have been earlier but I was working the LAs on 5mHz and trying to get more information.

In reply to MM0XXP:

Its not just LA’s that were not hearing us I gave OZ8ABE a call on
5.371.5mhz at 5/9+40 db with no reply.

The next G station to work him with 100watt got a 5/8 with QSB and his
QRO of 1000 watt!

only 250 x the power of my 817! no surprise I got no answer.

He gave me 57-59 when I called him from my FT-817. 5W should be enough - I guess you were just unlucky.