Kisdon NP-026

Benji the Dog Joan and myself tried our hand at activating Kisdon yesterday.I put alerts on before I left home for 2 and 4 metres.On arriving at the summit I found that I was surrounded with larger hills than the one that I was on.After many calls on 145.5 the only station I heard was from Holland.I then had a go on 144 ssb and after two hours I got one contact EC1KR.I sacked the idea of 4 metres and put up the linked dipole after many calls on 5.398.5 with no response I then moved down to 5.366.5 and found GM4FOZ and MM0DKQ after working them I then tred again on 5.398.5 and got Steve GW7AAV and then lost him in QSB I called him many more times to no avail.Another try and I managed to work Paul G0HNW in Huddersfield.By then my 2 companions were to say the least were fed up so much so the dog had gone to sleep.A last try and I then got a S2S with GW3TJE/P on SW007.I don`t think I will be going back. Thanks to Barry and Steve for spots ATB Benji Joan and Geoff G6MZX

In reply to G6MZX:
Its a pity you never tried 40/20m Geoff, both bands were rocking with sporadic E. Its a hard hill to qualify on 2m being surrounded by Gt Shunner, Lovely Seat & Rogans Seat. I was lucky to get the “LKB” family who were sat in a car on the Kirkstone pass to help qualify it on 2m - then I did HF as well just in case. I think Roger G4OWG got the maiden activation of that hill - he was lucky, as it was an N.P. activity weekend and he had plenty of people on neighbouring summits to work. Off to DL next week - so I hope 10m will be in good shape.

In reply to G1INK:

GL for next week, Steve - 10 is open now, by the way!

Brian G8ADD

In reply to G6MZX:

Tell me about it!

Kisdon tale of woe:

http://tomread.co.uk/kisdon2006.htm

…and the demon exorcised:

http://tomread.co.uk/kisdon_np-026.htm

Definitely a HF summit :wink:

Tom M1EYP

In reply to G1INK:

It`s a pity you never tried 40/20m Geoff, both bands were rocking with sporadic E.

6m was even better Steve - it was open most of the day to EA with other countries popping up from time to time. Worthwhile taking an antenna for the band or even trying your HF antenna at this time of year.

Sorry to hear about the difficulties Geoff. I think I’ll be taking the BNOS “muck shifter” linear amp with me to that summit to blast my way out on 2m SSB.

73, Gerald

Hi Geoff,

How did you manage work Holland on 2m FM and Spain on 2m SSB? This must be impossible.

Jimmy M3EYP

In reply to M3EYP:

There have been a few sporadic E openings to Spain, Portugal and Italy on 2 metres recently, so I would guess Spain by Es and Holland by tropo, Jimmy.

A big Es opening on two metres is a wonderful experience, with the DX suddenly appearing and booming in like local stations - so far I’ve missed this years events with gardening! :frowning:

Brian G8ADD

Jimmy,

I don’t know if you remember, but when we did The Begwns MW-025 a few years ago (before you got your licence), there was a massive opening on 2m SSB. So much so that I couldn’t get a frequency to operate on, and had to do the activation on FM!

Dad

In reply to M3EYP:

How did you manage work Holland on 2m FM and Spain on 2m SSB?

The 2m FM to Holland may have been backscatter rather than direct. Although the report says the MUF was upto 220MHz. I’ve worked PA on 6m SpE when the MUF was above 130MHz. So perhaps with a 220MHZ MUF it may be feasible direct.

Having worked N. Africa several times on 2m, working into Europe leaves something to be desired! :wink:

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to G6MZX:

Hi Geoff, Conditions terrible on 5mHz just about hearing you and the you were gone before I could get a report back. Unfortunately I couldn’t hold on much longer as the school run was calling so I had to cut and run. Most of the morning the frequency was full of Irish pirates, they have been on every day this week. Luckily this week big openings on 6 and 10 metres to take my mind of SOTA gettaways like yours otherwise I would have been kicking the cat if we had one ;0)

73 Steve GW7AAV

In reply to MM0FMF:

Worked EA5 via E’s on 144ssb yesterday early afternoon on the vertical. One or two French and Portugese stations were also quite strong at times and the 6m opening was a cracker later on with paths open all over S. Europe and Scandinavia. Taking a small 6m antenna out yesterday would definitely have been a good bet.

73 de Chris M1DTJ

In reply to GW7AAV:
Hi Steve.I tried and better tried to get you.But gave up when Paul G0HNW called and the I was about to give it up as a bad job when I managed an S2S with GW3TJE/P on SW 007.ATB &# Geoff.

In reply to G6MZX:

So near yet so far Geoff. I see you worked EC1KR at 12:30z. Down south in IO92 the 2m opening didn’t start until a bit later. My first contact on 2m SSB was at 12:56z and the last at 13:14z - 10 EA’s in 18 minutes. Pity you didn’t find more in the opening up to IO84 otherwise you’ve have been laughing!

Well done for sticking with it.

73, Gerald

In reply to MM0FMF:
Hi Andy I didn`t work Holland I just heard the station briefly.I didnt even get his full callsign. ATB Geoff

In reply to G6MZX:

Hi Andy I didn`t work Holland I just heard the station briefly.I didnt
even get his full callsign.

Most likely a meteor burst Geoff if it was a fleeting signal. There are loads around at this time of year.