Just four spots today

…must be the end of November and the normal “pre-bonus” doldrums.

Richard
G3CWI

In reply to G3CWI:
Not a very nice day here Richard. And tomorrow wiill be worse… A big snow dump is predicted.

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to MM0FMF:
A good sprinkle of snow came down a few hours ago up here in the highlands, even down at sea level, so its going to be even more fun on the hills this weekend :slight_smile:

Adrian
2M0ETR

In reply to 2M0ETR:

A good sprinkle of snow came down a few hours ago up here

We’ve even had a few flakes down here south of the Thames. Looks like it’s turning chilly. Winter bonuses kick in at the beginning of next month here? I’d wondered why there was a lull in activations…

In reply to M6LEP:
Well the winter bonus is a bit late!
On GM/CS002 on Sunday it was full on winter conditions. Crampons, Ice axe and -5c at the top. The water froze in the water bottle. I got the summit activated on 2m. The elements on my 3 element yagi froze into place and were very difficult to remove! I had HF gear but it was too cold with a good breeze and goodness knows what windchill. I have a cunning plan to prevent frost bit whilst keying the CW rig but that will have to wait for a warmer day… Who needs a winter bonus to entice one into the hills!!!

Adrian
MM0DHY

In reply to MM0DHY:

Woo Hoo! Creag Meagaidh under snow! Were the Posts well iced up?

The number of times when I was younger that I went up to Scotland for a bit of ice climbing around the New Year only to find no snow below 3,000 feet and the gullies avalanching - and there was always some clown in the bar who would utter the most infuriating words you could ever hear - “You should have been here last week!”

It is difficult to come up with a good winter season, I have seen full winter conditions as early as late October and as late as late April, and the glens can be warmer in January than they were in July. I think in the Highlands of Scotland it would not be unreasonable to end the Winter bonus period some time in April, but when would you start it? Our winter bonus period is too short for northern winters and too short for the really high mountains, but is about right for the milder climate of G/GW. I doubt that there is any simple answer and it is better to leave things as they are.

And now I am off to sharpen my ice axes and crampons, and hope that this doesn’t put a hex on the winter!

Brian G8ADD

In reply to G8ADD:

The forecast for Sunday looks quite good. The only downside being how much snow falls on the roads thus blocking access. I’ve got some targets both North and South of the Forth in mind to try and give me some chance at getting out as I’m getting cabin fever!

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to G8ADD:

Quote: “I think in the Highlands of Scotland it would not be unreasonable to end the Winter bonus period some time in April, but when would you start it?”

How about May?

Seriously though, there has been new snow on the High Tops (as opposed to old snow from last winter)since August and serious falls up there since September.

Meanwhile for the lager drinking softies we have over 300mm (a foot in old money) and the A939 through the village closed in both directions!

Barry GM4TOE

Not a single spot today. Can’t recall that happening for a long time!

In reply to G3CWI:

For me it’s been the following since 10.00pm last night:

snow
snow
snow
snow
snow
sun
snow
snow

Now at 17:40 it’s snowing hard and sticking.

Luckily (or not depending on your view) I can work from home as long as we have elasticktrickery and intarwebness! Don’t know why I took an extended lunch and shovelled what felt like an acre-foot of snow with the way it’s coming down again. Now at 25cms deep on the bits out of a wind. Deeper in the drifts.

And Leslie Nielsen died :frowning:

Doorman: Your coat.
Lt. Frank Drebin: Yes and I have the receipt to prove it!

:slight_smile:

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to MM0FMF:

I thought that you were used to that sort of thing up near the North Pole?

Richard
G3CWI

In reply to G3CWI:

I should be living further North than Moscow!

Andy
MM0FMF

It’s the end of SOTA (again).

Tom M1EYP

In reply to MM0FMF:

snow
snow
snow
snow
snow
sun
snow
snow

Andy, there’s a bad spelling mistake on line 6… :wink:

73, Gerald G4OIG

And Leslie Nielsen died :frowning:

…and the world is a little colder for it.

Dutch: Who are you and how did you get in here?
Det. Frank Drebin: I’m a locksmith, and I’m a locksmith.

10 Print"Today’s weather for Scotland is "
20 Print"Snow"
30 Goto 20

“We need to get her to a hospital”
“What is it Doctor?”
“It’s a big building with beds and nurses”

(Or something like that!).

Plenty of snow down in Cheshire and Staffordshire now. Now it depends on how much more falls on top of it this afternoon.

I see Steve that you used to have an Acorn Electron or a BBC Microcomputer model B. Me too, but I had managed to grow out of such crass programming by the time I was 12. Apart from my favourite which was also 3 lines long and turned the cassette motor on and off repeatedly - what a noise!

I see two French activators have broken the SOTA silence. Wonder if anyone in the UK will follow? There aren’t any alerts posted.

Tom M1EYP

In reply to M1EYP:

The good news… I managed to get my car out of my road. Snow ~30cms deep.

Today I am impressed at Honda’s RT 4WD system. It’s never worked this well before. But I’ve never had nearly new road tyres in the snow before.

The bad news… I don’t know if I’ll be able to get near any hills. The Pentlands are an obvious target if I can get near them. Should be "proper cold"
by the weekend which might make the snow a little easier to walk on.

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to MM0FMF:

Should be “proper cold”
by the weekend which might make the snow a little easier to walk on.

I doubt it. I’ve just been clearing about 40cm of snow off the car (not 4WD) in the hope that I might be able to shovel snow away on Friday (it’s in a cul-de-sac, about 3 car lengths from the A702 which is cleared!) and get down to Wigan for a family visit. The snow is extremely light and fluffy, and I don’t think there’ll have been any thaw/freeze on the tops by Friday to give you something to walk on. I think you’ll be up to the thighs in snow!

John GM8OTI

In reply to GM8OTI:
John.

If you do get to Wigan, don’t forget to pick up some Uncle Joe’s - they will keep you all a-glow (and probably clear your cul-de-sac for you).

Reg G3WPF (ex-Billinge)

In reply to G3WPF:

If you do get to Wigan, don’t forget to pick up some Uncle Joe’s -
they will keep you all a-glow (and probably clear your cul-de-sac for
you).

Berwick Cockles and Hawick Balls are almost as effective!
:slight_smile:

Who is/was Leslie Nielsen?

Walt (G3NYY)