It's Wet

Quite a few roads in Cumbria are being reported on local radio as only passable with care due to flooding and it’s still raining. Take care
Rob
G4RQJ

In reply to G4RQJ:

High winds and some rain in Gloucestershire at the moment. I will not be activating any summits today!

Walt (G3NYY)

In reply to G3NYY:

It recently stopped raining here in Brum, but its blowing a hooley and the radar shows more rain coming. The rain appears to be just on the southern edge of LD.

The outlook for the next few days looks awful, I’m going to hibernate!

Brian G8ADD

Good luck with the hibernation Brian. Our tortoises are refusing to hibernate.

It’s now been over a week since my last activation. Only five activations undertaken so far this month. Only two in October. Seven weeks since my last points-scoring activation. Shocking.

The forecast last weekend, coupled with Liam’s cold obliterated plans for four scoring activations. It doesn’t look like things are about to improve for this weekend either.

I shouldn’t complain, it’s been a productive year overall, but I’m getting withdrawal symptoms!

Tom M1EYP

In reply to M1EYP:

I was hoping to burn up some unused holiday that needs taking before the end of the year and get up North either last weekend or next. It’s not happening :frowning: The wind forecasts look impressive on www.xcweather.co.uk

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to G4RQJ:
Today,Thursday, local radio is reporting many “A” roads closed throughout the county with flooding, also very high winds on the summits. It’s still raining with no sign of let up before tomorrow. If you’re coming this way think Arnside Knott!
Take it steady
Rob
G4RQJ, Looking for gopher wood

In reply to G4RQJ:

Cumbria has had it pretty rough overnight with many areas affected by flooding & many road closures. Advice from the police earlier was not to travel unless absolutely necessary, if you do need to travel take care.

Mark G0VOF

In reply to G0VOF:

I had planned to be in Keswick over the weekend, however on contacting the hotel i was advised that only one road into keswick was still open and that with dificulty, so i have had to cancel this weekends activations.

regards Phil G1OPV

In reply to G1OPV:
Wise choice Phil :slight_smile:

It looked a bit wet yesterday …

Roger G4OWG

In reply to G4OWG:

Last weekend’s LD activations were postponed due to the weather, no chance during the week due to the weather and then this weekend offers more of the same. What will next week bring?

The outwards sign of my frustration is that the Met Office website is now my home page!!!

Will be out asap - if it carries on until the end of the month I’ll just have to do a wet activation as I’ve managed at least one summit every month since I started SOTA in February 2006.

73 and keep safe those of you affected by the H2O,

Gerald

In reply to G4OIG:

I’m very sorry to hear of the terrible weather and floods in the North West of England. We in the South have fared much better today. This afternoon I activated Dundry Down near Bristol and enjoyed unbroken sunshine all afternoon, with the temperature reaching +15 deg C! I think rain is on the way for tonight and tomorrow morning, though.

My heart goes out to the people in Cumbria whose homes have been flooded. I had the misfortune to suffer that fate here in Tewkesbury two years ago, so I know what a dreadful experience it is. It took more than 6 months to get the house back to a habitable condition. Something I would not wish on anyone.

Walt (G3NYY)

In reply to G3NYY:
As a member of Glos 4x4 Response, I was part of group into Tewkesbury on that first Saturday afternoon, to help move hospital staff to/from the hospital.

Hoping that friends of Sister’s family who rent a farmhouse north of Keswick have not been affected - the ford across the ‘driveway’ will have been pretty deep. Having seen the news footage, I echo Walt’s sentiments regarding those affected.

73 Graham G4FUJ

In reply to G4FUJ:

You guys speak for all of us.

Brian G8ADD

In reply to G8ADD:
Sorry for the lack of local reports, broadband has been one of the casualties locally. No great problems here in the deep south, our floods are usually wind and tide related rather than rivers. Local radio is still reporting several road closures,mostly in the north and west of the county so best check before travelling. We have decided to stick to a small hill tomorrow, probably Arnside Knott, the mountain rescue have more to worry about than looking for lost walkers at the moment.We will post an alert tomorrow all being well. It’s raining again now with quite a strong wind,
Take care
Rob
G4RQJ