It's not a contest, chaps!

I’m somewhat disappointed that this reflector, in the past week or two, has degenerated into something resembling a mutual admiration society for “The Deserving”, with lengthy threads and tables of results comparing how many, how far, how loudly, etc, the best-equipped stations have managed to work.

When I came to SOTA, it was to get away from this kind of ego-massaging … or so I thought.

And a list of “best DX worked from home on 2m SSB” surely has no relevance to a SOTA Reflector?

Walt (G3NYY)

In reply to G3NYY:

I think you are being a little unfair, Walt. The reflector reflects the interests of its participants and there is a large and satisfying variety of topics covered over a period of time. One should not expect every topic to interest every participant! The type of thread that you are lambasting is relatively rare, and if you don’t like them then it is easy to pass over them. After a few decades on the bands one has a pretty good idea of how far one can expect to work in “normal” and in lift conditions, but with good tropo on 2 metres being much rarer than it used to be it takes time to gain this idea and I am sure that those who have not been licenced for many years learn something from these threads.

Brian G8ADD

In reply to G3NYY:
Hi Walt, i feel that your views are relating to my “Best VHF DX” thread, Im sure you would have read my original and only post in the tread, which clearly states SOTA in the question. As a new member to the amateur radio world, i was looking to see if my results are comparable with others. But the thread has wandered off topic wildly hence why i havent reposted anything into it.

All the best

Adrian

In reply to G3NYY:

When I came to SOTA, it was to get away from this kind of
ego-massaging … or so I thought.

To be sat on a hill, any hill and be on the end of a pile up is kind of an ego-massage surely. It it usually proceeded by a sort of masochism called the ascent, carried out while carrying more weight than anyone would sensibly cart to the top of a hill. SOTA is a strange illness.

I would rather people became a little competitive about their stations and could work a good number of SOTA stations from home rather than sit there on a handheld from their front room talking to repeaters, it would make VHF activations more enjoyable and easier.

There are really no rules on the reflector other than we try to respect other peoples views and don’t go out to upset people. There has never been an issue with ‘Off Topic’ subjects. I think if you don’t think something is relevant to you then you should ignore it.

Best DX from home though has almost no point. It is more about being on at the right time and having reasonable gear rather than having a top station. Location is the big thing under flat conditions, but even low down where I am I have worked Ben Nevis in the North and the Lizard in Cornwall on 2m SSB and most countries in Europe with 25 watts to a 10 element beam at 10 feet. It is not boasting it is just what happens when there is a good Sporadic E lift. Boasting is when you can do that 7 days a week, 24 hours a day and when you can do it then expect a visit from Ofcom.

73 Steve GW7AAV

In reply to GW7AAV:

Best DX from home though has almost no point. It is more about being
on at the right time and having reasonable gear rather than having a
top station. Location is the big thing under flat conditions, but even
low down where I am I have worked Ben Nevis in the North and the
Lizard in Cornwall on 2m SSB and most countries in Europe with 25
watts to a 10 element beam at 10 feet. It is not boasting it is just
what happens when there is a good Sporadic E lift. Boasting is when
you can do that 7 days a week, 24 hours a day and when you can do it
then expect a visit from Ofcom.

73 Steve GW7AAV

To be fair, being on at the right time can be a learned skill, you can watch the buildup and decay of weather systems, monitor beacons, follow the Es as it moves up progressively from 10 metres to 2 metres, track coronal holes and CMEs on the sun to anticipate the appearance of Ar, and keep an eye on the calendar for the major meteor showers. Some of us happen on anaprop, others anticipate it! This is why VHF has a lasting attraction for some of us, and the skills to get the most out of VHF can be learned from other operators as well as books. The message from hearing about an operator working say 2,000 km on 2 metres is not “what a marvellous guy he is”, it is “he can do it so I can do it!”

Brian G8ADD

In reply to G3NYY:

When I came to SOTA, it was to get away from this kind of
ego-massaging … or so I thought.

Just don’t encourage them by responding or drawing attention to their “achievements” Walt. Incidentally you must easily be Ruardean Hill’s “Top Activator”. Well done on that!

Richard
G3CWI

Egotism - usually just a case of mistaken nonentity.
Barbara Stanwyck

Hi Walt

I have managed not to do any SOTA now for 3 months and 22 days, is this a record… In the meantime I have enjoyed the mountains and hills that SOTA choose to ignore…

Anyway SOTA to a few is clearly for ego-massaging, that’s made very clear and to some it is just for pleasure.

In reply to G3CWI:

Incidentally you must easily be
Ruardean Hill’s “Top Activator”. Well done on that!

Tee hee! By coincidence, I was active from there on 12 metres at the very moment you posted that comment! The 12m band was remarkably good on 5th July … I worked 25 stations, including a W2 in New York and many SOTA chasers, so it was well worth the afternoon outing. (There … a little bit of ego-massaging from me.)
:slight_smile:

By the way … it had to happen sooner or later … I have lost the soft, black cap from the end of my SOTA-beam boom! I think I dropped it and it blew away in the gale on top of GW/SW-018 on Sunday afternoon! I suspect it’s a standard plumbing or electrical conduit accessory, but what is it called? I have been trying to find one in the Screwfix and Wickes catalogues, but have so far failed!

Walt (G3NYY)

In reply to M0KPO:

I have managed not to do any SOTA now for 3 months and 22 days, is
this a record…

Hi Steve,

Wow! I get withdrawal symptoms after a couple of days! But yes, I too have been visiting a few non-SOTA summits lately. There is no rule that says you can’t.

:wink:

Walt (G3NYY)

In reply to M0KPO:

I have managed not to do any SOTA now for 3 months and 22 days, is
this a record…

It’s not even a personal record; you had a far longer period of inactivity in 2006.

Richard
G3CWI