Italy SOTA

It is regrettable that there is inevitable confusion between the SOTA
references of the official SOTA Italy association and the unofficial
programme. But it should be pointed out that the unofficial programme
uses the name ‘SOTA’ and the SOTA logo without permission, and has
copied the format of SOTA references.

This will be difficult to sort out. Maybe it would have been wise to use different prefixes for the official programme when it was started, such as IK for mainland Italy and IM for Sardinia? This would have helped to avoid confusion. Maybe it can still be changed …

73, Jan-Martin

In reply to M0CEF:

Yes, this option is being considered.

Brian G8ADD

Sardinia’s current association code is IS0, so I don’t think this is a problem.

Tom M1EYP

In reply to M1EYP:

Dear Tom for the last time I took advantage of the space that allows me SOTA UK. I don’t understand why you have contacted Giuseppe IN3RYE for SOTA membership and saying that we could maintain the “watt per miglio” as national award. You asked him to prepare a list of references and while the working group was preparing the reference list to send the MT have given to IW1ARE Carlo the management of Italy. It was not good for us. Can you explain this? Maybe I don’t know all the background? I’d be happy to see once and for all how things went, just wondering a bit of transparency. The Italian situation is very confused right now and it would be nice if instead of continuing with the litigation there is a meeting point between the parts. I’m sorry for my terrible english.
Thank you and 73
Ivo

Dear Ivo,

This conversation is best held via direct email. Also, I will need to review the email correspondence your team had with SOTA MT in late 2010 - that I will not be able to do until Friday evening.

Please email me directly via tommyread at hotmail dot com and we can discuss further there. We will be very pleased if you can assist Carlo with SOTA I and IS0 and submit your activations.

Tom M1EYP

In reply to M1EYP:

Thank you Tom, I sent you an email. I await your news.

Ivo

I see that an Italian SOTA activation is alerted for later today. This will definitely be a valid SOTA summit - but which one I am unsure!

The alert is for I/LG-016. This is Caucaso in the official I SOTA ARM, but is Galero in the unofficial scheme. Chasers should confirm the name of the summit if they work it!

If it is Galero, then this is good for SOTA as well, as it is I/LG-011 in the SOTA I ARM.

Please be assured that many communications are currently taking place to work out the best way of avoiding future confusion.

Tom M1EYP

In reply to M1EYP:

I was on air this afternoon from M.Caucaso I/LG-016. There was a lot of operators calling me on 30m, a lot of fun for me! I want excuse me with all the OM who called me and I can’t answer, my CW is quite poor and I’m not used to manage pileups.
I want to thank every single operator who called me and made my first SOTA international activation an unforgettable experience.
Coming back in topic, I really hope that sota international and sota italy reference list will be soon harmonized clearing every possible misunderstanding between activators and chasers.

73 de
IZ1KSW - Gabriele

In reply to IZ1KSW:
I operated with Gabriele IZ1KSW from Caucaso I/LG-016: I decided to operate 40m ssb, 2w qrp with a dipole and ft817.
Nice day, full of sun and a little windy. Propagation was good only vs n-e Europe and better vs s-America only on 10 mts after 5 pm.
Look around on our www to see our photos!

In reply to IZ1KSW:
Yes, I have QSO with Gabriele on 30m CW!!
I maked spot on sotawatch after the contact.

Thanks Gabriele for the first.

73 de Feri
Ciao

In order to avoid any further confusion, all the references for SOTA summits in the official I and IS0 associations have been renumbered.

All regions begin with number 301 instead of 001. From now on, it will be clear whether a reference heard on the air is an official SOTA reference or not. This was the decision of Carlo IW1ARE, the AM for both the I and IS0 associations, and is supported by the SOTA Management Team.

Of course, it may still be that a reference heard in the I/XY-001 series is a valid SOTA summit. If working such an activation, it will be wise to ask for the name and height of the summit, as number in the official 301 series is unlikely to have the same last two digits. It will also be worth checking that the operating conditions are accepted in the SOTA General Rules, as the unofficial Italian scheme has its own set of rules.

Hopefully operators conducting an activation that would be valid in both schemes will give out both references. But the steps taken by Carlo, and the SOTA MT should remove much of the confusion from now on.

Tom M1EYP
obo SOTA Management Team

Tom,

In order to avoid any further confusion, all the references for SOTA
summits in the official I and IS0 associations have been renumbered.

All regions begin with number 301 instead of 001.

Whilst I’ve yet to work any Italy SOTA stations, I’m more confused by that statement than I was before !!

Which numbers have changed ??

Stewart G0LGS

Which numbers have changed ??

All of them. Effectively, they’ve all had 300 added to them.

Tom M1EYP

Tom,

I understand now - the wording of your post seemed to confuse me last night as to what had been re-numbered, but re-reading it again now helped !

Stewart G0LGS