Is an E-bike permitted for SOTA?

I wonder why it is allowed to use animals to enter the activation zone …

For the same reason that QSOs by satellite are allowed and repeaters are not allowed.

The wording, as it’s been explained in previous posts from the MT, is deliberedly ambiguous, and it’s from my point of view, so much ambiguous that it becomes confusing.
After a number of years around SOTA and having read quite a lot if not almost everything it’s been written here since 2014 about this rule, t’s clear to me that an activator can get to the activation zone and even the summit the way he/she wants, on foot, bike -push (pedals) or motor (conventional or electric)-, automobile -car (including electric), truck, 4x4, etc-, helicopter… anything is valid as long as he sets up his radio station fully disconnected in all ways from any vehicle and not using the vehicle for shelter, comfort or whatever support during the SOTA operation.
Having said that, I don’t really see the need to say that animals are permitted to enter to the activation zone, when it’s actually anything as long as the activator operates as fully portable and fully independent of a vehicle seats, structure and power supply.

Guru

5 Likes

That wording about animals dates to before we had FAQ files on line. We had some queries to the MT about whether it was permitted to access the summit on horseback, and indeed there were some horseback activations, though not many - and you will remember that there is one guy that uses pack goats. Rather than answering such queries every time they arose, it seemed simpler to put something in the GR. I can’t see that this is a problem.

I don’t really see It as a problem, Brian, as the programme is running with big success in spite of that sentence. But I guess you’ll agree that it’s a source of doubts and at some extent, confusion.
Perhaps, the GR were written at a time and with a much more reduced potencial scenario and variety+number of participants that some sections in the GR wording might have become a bit out of date and a bit of a restyling or rewriting would help participants to better interpret and understand the rules.
I know it’s not an easy task for a group of volunteers to write such document in a way that it’s clear and unmistakenly understandable by all people living on the Planet Earth.

Guru

There is a small detail you’ve missed out in this story.

The original SOTA rules for activators contained a statement that the “final ascent” must be “person powered”. Somebody pointed out that this would exclude reaching the summit on horseback. He felt that this was nevertheless “in the spirit” of SOTA and asked for clarification. Presumably the MT agreed with him, and added the clause explicitly permitting animal power.

Later on, the rules were reworked again. The “person powered” condition was removed, and replaced by the explicit prohibition on motor vehicles that we see today, At this point the clause permitting animals became logically superfluous, and could have been removed. It wasn’t - I cannot tell whether that was deliberate or an oversight.

As you say, it is not really a problem to permit something that is already permitted. The main risk in having a redundant clause is that it can mislead people into jumping to a conclusion that there is a restriction that is actually not there. It is the kind of statement that in my opinion ought to be in a clarifying note rather than the primary rules.

Martyn M1MAJ

1 Like

I was actually referring to the whole sentence.

I agree, now. I only did it for my first 3 activations, and there was a reason which seemed good at the time. It was valid, as my station was not attached to the ground in any way, and I did move about a bit to get a better signal. I wouldn’t do it now. My practice is now the same as you described.

Martyn M1MAJ

1 Like

I have just bought an ebike. Unfortunately the definition of an ebike varies widely in different countries. Here in the UK the only sort that is widely available, requires human power to move.

Is what sense is your bike an electric-bike if not assisted with an electric motor?
Is pedalling independent of whether the motor is on or off?

You’re saying the bike ride strained your J-Pole?!!

Pedelecs add power to your pedalling so you have to pedal to get the motor to work. You can pedal with or without the additional assistance of the motor. The level of assistance is adjustable but is always less than 100%. The bike that I have ordered is just over 11kg so it’s relatively light.

Ebikes can mean several different types of vehicle with varying parameters. Some are more akin to electric motorbikes/scooters but these would be classified differently here in the UK and would require a registration plate etc.

Great! So I will reactive my Brompton shack, hi

73 Chris

1 Like

There is no such thing as “mobile portable”.

Similarly, there is no such thing as “pedestrian mobile” or “static mobile”.

HTH.

Walt (G3NYY)

Richard and all,

Different parts of the world allow different things. For example amateur radio may be used on aircraft here under certain circumstances. One now retired Qantas captain was often on 20 m SSB at 35,000 ft over Central Australia. We have had a number of AM operations here with properly fitted antennas and transceivers on private aircraft.

Whether or not a licence is required for an e-bike here depends on the configuration of the bike and where it is ridden. I don’t think an ordinary e-bike would be much help on peaks here except for a few with sealed roads to the top. An electric trail bike would be more practical if you can get one. It needs no registration in VK but can’t be ridden on some peaks - no bikes at all on some here.

Re SOTA Rules, remember the genesis of SOTA, in an English Pub.

The original intention IIUC was to combine hill walking and amateur radio, hence the emphasis on walking in. An inspired idea. Another good thought was to have some basic rules and not be completely prescriptive. There was already a list of summits, the Marilyns, easy. Then came the expansion. And the questions.

My usual reaction is if after reading the rules you have to ask if something is OK it probably isn’t.

I’m finding the walks harder now - only 2 of my last 8 activations were walk in (and short ones at that) and am grateful that I can continue to activate in spite of growing more doddery by the month. Goats are not allowed in most VK SOTA areas (feral animals) and I no longer have a horse. So it’s drive to the top mostly now.

The bloke with the motor bike? He does some selective chasing but I don’t think he will activate again.

Ron
VK3AFW

KISS!

…except it wasn’t - romantic though that idea sounds.

I tend to agree about “mobile portable” but “pedestrian mobile” and “static mobile” are precise descriptions and if you hear them used you know exactly what the operator means. They may have no status in licensing terms but they are still useful descriptions of how an operation is taking place.

A shame, really, as I would find it easy to believe that every good idea originating in this country started its life as a scribble on the back of a beer mat!

Hi Brian,

Quite spoiled my evening. I know of one professional organization that got its start in such a manner; I called the meeting and someone else selected the pub. Of course the big difference was the beer was cold and the steak was hot.

I also knew a Professor of Elec Eng at Monash Uni who faced with an apparently intractable equation that had stalled the work of one of his PhD students took the pair of them to the local. After his third beer he saw a solution. The beer mat was used by his graduate student to record the workings.

Moving away from the workplace to a more relaxed environment can release the imagination. It can also reduce interpersonal tensions.

I still can’t believe that there wasn’t a warm ale and a cold pie or two involved in the beginning of SOTA. That’s going to keep me awake for hours now. Another myth shattered.

Ron
VK3AFW

My only argument with that, Ron, is that British “warm ale” is a myth fostered (excuse pun!) by countries that have the need to have their beer ice cold to paralyse their taste buds! In fact the cellarage of good British pubs is carefully maintained at 11 - 13C, neither “warm” or “cold” but the optimum temperature to bring out the flavour of the ale. Sorry, OT to the OT, you pushed a button!

2 Likes

[snip]

Yes it means they do not understand what mobile means in licencing terms. Hint: it doesn’t mean moving at this instance.

Warm ales like this are best described in German… “Hey dieses Bier ist warm und trübe, ich habe besser Sumpfwasser geschmeckt!”