International SOTA day / weekend?

In reply to G8ADD:

It would be difficult to work them all…

Within the actual big pile-up’s, I suggest a time-window (for instance every 30 minutes) reserved for s2s-contacts only. How about that?

Vy73 Fritz

In reply to HB9CSA:

Good idea Fritz. I also see some skeds being made beforehand. Maybe encourage our W2 friends up a summit to try grey line propagation across the Atlantic. I wouldn’t mind having a go at some longer distance VHF S2S contacts. SE-013 / SE-015 to F, ON, PA and maybe DL should be possible. It just needs like minded individuals to reciprocate.

So far there have been just 9 of us making comments on this thread, so I would urge others to express their interest in the idea of an International SOTA Day or Weekend without any firm commitments at this stage. The details can be worked out later, but let’s first get an idea of how much interest there is so we can move this idea forwards… or forget it as the case may be.

73, Gerald

If it’s for the milder weather part of the year - and indeed May seems a sensible suggestion - then I would intend participating, and hanging around all day, set up for 80, 40, 20, 15, 6, 2 and 0.7m, CW/SSB/FM.

Tom

In reply to G4OIG:

So far there have been just 9 of us making comments on this thread, so I would urge others to express their interest in the idea of an International SOTA Day or Weekend without any firm commitments at this stage. The details can be worked out later, but let’s first get an idea of how much interest there is so we can move this idea forwards… or forget it as the case may be.’

Hi Gerald

The idea of an International SOTA event is to be congratulated, it will further promote SOTA both at home and abroad and encourage portable activity from the summits.My only comment is that it should be organised regionally by definition as was the case recently when the SOTA Summitsbase group ran a highly successfull NP Fun Day…

Gerald, we have at least six activators on the Fylde coast from the CQ Portable group including myself who would support the activity and participate once definate dates are given.

73’s
Ian 2E0EDX

In reply to M0GIA:
Hi Sean. please count me in for participating in another event.All the best Geoff G6MZX

I will activate from France (Chamonix area) if the date is ok.

23rd - 31st May is a good period - school holiday.

I would only activate HF, probably 40m.

Nigel. g6sfp

I would also be interested in being involved.

Carolyn (G6WRW)

In reply to G4OIG:

I’d be quite interested in this. I’m an infrequent activator but the potential for increased activity could encourage me to get out again on some of the SE hills.

73s
Alan M0DDC/G8AQO

In reply to M3EDX:

It’s not originally my idea Ian. It was Sean that suggested the idea after I’d proffered the idea of attempting some, well let’s say “special” contacts under the thread “SOTA DXCCs from G”.

An International SOTA Day (or Weekend) doesn’t have to mean that we all have to do one type of activity, just that we have a lot of action going on. While personally I would like to use such an event as a vehicle to set up some of those “special” contacts, it doesn’t prevent anyone wandering up their local summit with a 2m handheld to put on an activation. The more would literally be the merrier enhancing the profile of SOTA worldwide.

Many thanks to those who have responded positively to the idea that has been put forward. If anyone has objections or concerns and doesn’t want to air them publicly, they can email me personally in absolute confidence and, if it is appropriate, I can pass on the comments anonymously on this reflector for further discussion. I would like to see responses from the main activators in all of the SOTA Associations as I feel that their support is crucial to make this a success. Again, I am offering myself as a point of contact for comments on this idea if the participants would prefer to express their views privately. I can be contacted through the email address on QRZ.com.

73, Gerald

In reply to G4OIG:

Hi Gerald

All noted on the idea of such an event originating from Sean.

If it goes ahead and it certainly now seems to be gathering momentum, then support and participation will be guaranteed from the Fylde Coast activators.

73’s

Ian 2E0EDX

Activity breeds activity.

You want to make it attractive to all participants which means accomodating all abilities. Apart from getting more people out than normal and hopefully get some activity from the not very active regions I think you’d want a few special events happening aswell.

Such as…

• trying to work all the participating countries
  • trying to work all the participating regions
  • trying to get all the highest summits activated (at the same time?)
  • trying to get all the xx-001 summits activated
  • trying to work lowest and highest freqs in an activation(160m & 10Ghz)
  • largest number of activators on one summit
  • longest walk-in to a summit
  • furthest travelled to a summit
  • greatest number of contacts
  • largest ODX or furthest contact per watt

i.e. a range of achievements you can issue certificates/awards such that there are awards for all abilities.

So you have things people can work for and take seriously and enough happening in general that it’s fun for everyone participating.

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to MM0FMF:

That’s a pretty big shopping list Andy. Certainly lots to aim for, but I suspect initially only partially attainable if we get this off the ground… but hey, let’s keep the sights high!

73, Gerald

In reply to M3EDX:
Hi Ian,

very good idea! I will be on a summit… if I get the OK from my family!
Lutz DL3SBA

In reply to thread:

I think this is an exciting proposal and we should go ahead with it straight away.

I see that the German SOTA weekend which has been suggested is May 2nd/3rd, and if I’m not mistaken the 4th is our Mayday Bank Holiday. That weekend I will be staying with the Mercian Mountaineering Club at Dolwyddelan near Moel Siabod so unless the weather is really dire I can promise some activity from GW/NW.

Brian G8ADD

In reply to G4OIG:

That’s a pretty big shopping list…

Well it is and it isn’t. Awards certificates are just a nice picture with some text on them. Their value comes when they can be verified. You can organise as many awards as you like, the cost comes in getting the claimants to submit their claims and having a database to check them against. It boils down to time to check claims and devising the rules in the first place.

If we consider SOTA activity there are regular activators, occasional activators and very infrequent activators. There’s no problem getting the regulars out, it’s the occasionals and infrequents that need a little extra encouragement. Some people are super-competitive and will work hard for every award they can get. I was hoping that some of those things might appeal to the less fit and less competitive.

If you get lot’s of activators on the air then the chasers have a great time. Whilst I didn’t list anything specific for chasers we should have a set of awards available for them too. Such as working all the xx-001 stations or highest chaser score etc.

I stress the point is to offer something for all abilities and skill levels. Otherwise it will turn a lot of people off. And yes, organising activators for all the xx-001 summits is harder but I’ll bet there’ll be no shortage of activators for many of them especially in G/GW/GM. I don’t know enough about those summits in Europe to comment in depth but hopefully the dates in May will not be too early for the Alps.

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to G8ADD:

I think this is an exciting proposal and we should go ahead with it straight away.

Hi Brian,

I know that is a personal opinion and I am fairly certain virtually everyone that has contributed to this thread / idea so far is of the same opinion. However, I would appreciate your thoughts on the organisational aspects of the proposal, involvement of the MT, etc. Maybe we need to understand how the German Activity Days work before more concrete proposals are formulated.

73, Gerald

I expect we will be having conversations within the MT, and on another reflector that contains all the Association Managers as members. We’ll share some ideas and see what we come up with, and of course report back here. We just need a little time.

In the meantime, FWIW, I agree that May 2/3 sounds a good bet.

Tom M1EYP

In reply to MM0FMF:

Hi Andy,

I fully understand the points you are making and yes, some involved in SOTA are super competitive, some are super fit and then there’s the rest of us, Hi. I totally agree with your sentiment that there should be something for everyone regardless of ability. It would be a nonsense to have it otherwise. Having said that, I am not really one to comment upon an awards scheme as that aspect of SOTA is not really my thing. To date only the Summitsbase S2S Awards have attracted my attention, so maybe others might like to respond to your ideas.

73, Gerald

In reply to M1EYP:

That’s good news Tom. Thanks for sharing that with us.

73, Gerald

I can now announce that MT is right behind this event, and looks forward to something that is great fun for many participants.

Discussions will now ensue between MT and all the association managers, and we hope to announce the date within the next couple of weeks.

Thanks to Sean M0GIA for the idea.

Tom M1EYP