Other SOTA sites: SOTAwatch | SOTA Home | Database | Video | Photos | Shop | Mapping | FAQs | Facebook | Contact SOTA

Ingleborough by public transport

As its International Sota weekend, I’d already decided to activate two summits over the two days, Ingleborough I am planning on doing with public transport, can anyone suggest the best town or village to stop at to get access to the summit?

73’s and TIA
Martin
M0ZIF

In reply to M0ZIF:
I don’t know if its best, but I know a bus service visits Clapham with a long but easy route via Ingleborough Cave and Gaping Gill, or a steeper but a little quicker route from Newby just up the road which might also be served.

Brian G8ADD

In reply to M0ZIF:
The train to Horton is the route that Phil G1OPV and I use. The Ingleborough path starts at the station a nice route up, then we drop down into Chapel Le Dale and the Hill Inn then up to Ribble Head for the pub and return trains.
Roy G0HDX

In reply to M0ZIF:

Best bus is Dalesman 832/833 - but doesnt start until 17th May. In which case try and get a bus to Ingleton, or train to Ribble Head. 73 ps if you go in the Hill Inn, dont leave your sota beam there - they`re building up a nice collection apparently.

The best I’ve found is the no:80 from lancaster straight through to Ingleton, it seems there are no sensible busses running, and the train is twice the price for once :slight_smile:
M0ZIF