Impedance at the end of a wire?

In reply to M0MYA:

The circuit is just for a relative field strength meter so your unknown meter will either be more sensitive, less sensitive or the same sensitivity as the designer intended. Personally I would just replace the resistors with a 100K variable resistor and use your meter as it is and it will be just as useful.

I have never found field strength meters to be particularly useful around the shack. For antenna experiments I measure aerial current:

This parameter is far more meaningful than VSWR or field strength.

Richard
G3CWI

In reply to G3CWI:

Yes, that’s a a perfectly valid and cheaper way of doing things. Thank you. As Geoff said, I “couldn’t see the wood for the trees”. I want an FSM for making A/B relative comparisons between different antennas.

The current meter does indeed look very useful, and again simple although calibrations looks like it requires quite advanced kit. It is yet another thing I have desired but not wanted to shell out for! I’ll look into constructing one of these as well.

Dave M0MYA.

In reply to DK1ROB:

Crikey, Rob! That is very nice!

Unfortunately, my wallet is made out of insulation tape because there wasn’t enough money in the previous one to replace it!

Thanks for the link.

Dave M0MYA.