DL/MM0FMF/p

In reply to MM0FMF:

That is all :slight_smile:

Andy
DL/MM0FMF/p

Tease

Andrew K1YMI / GM1YMI

In reply to MM0FMF:
ā€¦ and it had so deep impression on you, that even the words have stuck in your throat?! :wink:

73: JĆ³ska, HA5CW / M0HAA

In reply to HA5CW:

Been there, played around and talked to Eric and Peter. If 80% of all impressive thingies will come true I have to sell my 817, my KX-1 and even the K2ā€¦

A nice piece of equipment.

72, Jo dj3cq

In reply to HA5CW:

It looks and feels very nice. Initial concern is the buttons maybe a little small for gloved fingers. But it is much better than an 817 in that respect. It was difficult to get dates and prices. The consensus seems to be Winter (could be 2012) and about $1000. But as we know, options on Elecraft rigs are not cheap and there are lots off them.

Still the initial impression is ā€œIā€™d like one pleaseā€. Iā€™m happy to wait for the 2nd/3rd batch. I donā€™t need to be the 1st guy on the block with one. The super keen can help locate and iron out any production wrinkles! :wink:

Andy
DL/MM0FMF/p

In reply to MM0FMF:
Dear Andy!

N6KR presented KX3 at the QRP ARCI ā€˜Four Days In May 2011ā€™ convention (Dayton, Ohio): Elecraft KX3 demo at the QRP ARCI convention - 'Four Days In May' - YouTube
As far as I can remember, Wayne stated that the suggested retail price would be $800 and the roll out of the massproduction would be end of this year. However I absolutely agree with your fears in respect of both the price and deadlineā€¦
Itā€™s better late than never! :wink:

In reply to MM0FMF:

In reply to HA5CW:

It looks and feels very nice. Initial concern is the buttons maybe a
little small for gloved fingers. But it is much better than an 817 in
that respect. It was difficult to get dates and prices. The consensus
seems to be Winter (could be 2012) and about $1000. But as we know,
options on Elecraft rigs are not cheap and there are lots off them.

Still the initial impression is ā€œIā€™d like one pleaseā€. Iā€™m
happy to wait for the 2nd/3rd batch. I donā€™t need to be the 1st guy on
the block with one. The super keen can help locate and iron out any
production wrinkles! :wink:

Andy
DL/MM0FMF/p

Yeah, weā€™re not in a hurry, are we? I for myself could well be happy with the base model and the optional roofing filter module. This should help me to keep my wallet safe and SWMBO mild.

73 Bernhard DL4CW

In reply to MM0FMF:
I have played with it, too.
I have seen the presentation on the web and read the specs before. The first impresion after having it in hand: Boy, it is heavier than it looks like. It can be powered by the internal cells, but you get only 5 W then, for 10 W output the external SLAB is needed again. And last point: With all those fine controls protruding from the panel we would need a very good carrying case to pack it in the rucksack. The KX3 seems not to be able to withstand that much abuse as my FT-857 did so far. I have asked the Elecraft people if they think about any case but he answer was negative. Maybe some aftermarket producer or homebrewing hams will come up with a solution.
73 Ruda OK2QA

I feel strangely unattracted by the KX3. It seems to be a step too far towards the bells and whistles approach of the mainstream manufacturers to be of much interest to me. I would have been more interested in a design that combined really low current consumption with superb RF performance, was actually waterproof - and was still a real kitā€¦

I will stick with my DSW-2
http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/3255

Richard
G3CWI

In reply to G3CWI:

a real kit would have been nice of course, but from the sellerā€™s point of view this might repel too many potential buyers nowadays. As for the RF performance I havenā€™t heard too many details yet, except some ranting in Fried. It might be a good idea to wait for the first substantial reviews and, as Andy stated before, donā€™t try to keep up with the keenest buyers. :slight_smile:

73 Bernhard DL4CW

In reply to G3CWI:

I would have been more
interested in a design that combined really low current consumption
with superb RF performance, was actually waterproof - and was still a
real kitā€¦

Sounds like you need an ATS-3B or ATS-4 and build it into a waterproof case. If you put the battery in the same case you would only need three cable entries (Ant, Key and phones).

Colin G8TMV

In reply to G3CWI:

I would have been more
interested in a design that combined really low current consumption
with superb RF performance, was actually waterproof - and was still a
real kitā€¦

Except ā€œsold as a kitā€, your specification resembles me on the good old ā€œtwo knob radioā€, the IC-202S ! :slight_smile:
In the late 1980s, when SOTA still had not been invented, I regularly went on HA/KM-002 with my one, a 30W Alinco PA, a car battery and a 9 element yagi. It was sensitive, stable and simply bullet-proofā€¦ Even if it was pouring with cats and dogs, opened the two side ā€œdoorsā€, poured the water out of that and it worked perferctlyā€¦ :slight_smile:

In reply to HA5CW:

Dear All,
I have played with it, too. I was impressed about this new toy.
And I had quite long chat with Eric about its technicalities. It worth to mention that firmware that controls the rig will be upgradable through a serial connection - for instance. The hardware will remain the same. Please remember that this is a software defined radio.
It looks a bit bigger than KX1, HB-1A, PFR3 and it has all modes, all HF bands +6m, antenna tuner, voice recorder and keyer included. The list of all the features is quite long.
Eric told me that they still have to work on those few remaining bugs. The selling will start when everything will be fully finished and OK.
I have here a number of QRP rigs: NN1G-20, HW-8, Norcal 20, ATS-3B, HB-1A. Except ATS-3B, the rest will look soon for a new home. Plus my lovely IC-7000.
The money which I will get, will go for KX3.
I have FT-817ND, too. Wellā€¦ I have to say that the single advantage is the existence of the 2m and 70cm bands in the same box. But, I think that KX3 will provide in HF much higher technical performance.

vy 73 de Dan PA2LA - YO3DAN

In reply to PA2LA:

In reply to HA5CW:

[cut]

The hardware will remain
the same. Please remember that this is a software defined radio.
[cut]
Eric told me that they still have to work on those few remaining bugs.

As software developer my opinion is that first releases of software usually are the most buggy, so, as someone stated before, thereā€™s no hurry. After the first months KX3 will be less expensive and more stable.
Since this is the first Elecraft totally SDR radio (AFAIK), the coders/testers guys in Elecraft should have a lot of work to do!
Anyway the radio looks very interesting and promising, it will be with me on the summits sooner or later.

72 de
IZ1KSW - Gabriele

In reply to IZ1KSW:

Chasers will get the chance to hear one of the three working KX3 prototypes being used by Rich AC7MA on a SOTA activation of W7/KG-134 on July 8th 2011.

Those of us on the right hand side of the pond have just over a week to point our antennas to the left hand side of the pond!

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to MM0FMF:

I picked it up and thought it was heavy :wink:

John GM8OTI

In reply to GM8OTI:

You should have wiped it clean of all the drool first. It would have weighed only a fraction of what you felt then! :slight_smile:

Andy
MM0FMF