I/G4OBK/P Activation I/TO-314 01/07/15 null and void

Where it was - as WB-001

Rod

The AZ spreads either side of the border. If you sit in the English side you are in England and you have an English call sign.

The is exactly the same as Peel Fell G/SB-004 which is in England but has a significant AZ in Scotland and Lauriston Fell GM/SS-161 which is in Scotland and some plenty of AZ in England.

There are plenty of summits around the world (hundreds) that have an AZ in more than one country. You can activate from any country but you use the correct prefix for your location.

Glyn,
My licence states I have to use the correct prefix for the country I’m working in!
The activation zone covers both G and GW and as long as you’re in the AZ it’s a valid activation.
I was in England :smirk:

It was originally G/WB-001 before it was stolen by the Welsh :wink:
(Which is why WB-002 is the top of the Welsh Border list and SW-041 is at the bottom of SW)

Hi Peter and Andy

I wasn’t questioning the validity of the activation just highlighting some of the quirky/weird anomalies that is SOTA - would we have it any other way?

Glyn

There are very few ‘High’ summits in southern/central England - is it time to start a lobby to have Black Mountain returned to it original home?

Free Black Mountain from its Welsh oppressors!!! :wink:

(you can tell there is nothing on TV and the bands are quiet)

3 Likes

Andrea it seems there is no way to correct the “Italian” problem.
I think the manager is not even reading sotawatch.
Unfortunately we should be patient and wait, wait wait

73 de in3aqk

1 Like

I’ve read this thread carefully and I should say that there are some Hams, included me, that are available to correct, help, and solve the Italian summit situation.

For example, in my region “Alto adige”

• There is no a local sub-manager, the manager leaves in another Italian region
  • There is only medium to difficult summits
  • The summits names are in Italian, but my region has a special statute, half of pupulation speaks german, and officially all the peaks have a dual name, Italian, German and in certain case Ladino.

Unfortunately it’ seems that “The official management team” don’t care about the situation, and that they do not want help or they do not need. I sad “it seems” purposely, because each contact with the manager ends in a fight!

On my point of view the italian sota is a “One man band” that is not good for it’s future.

73 de IN3AQK

2 Likes

For the italian hams and the all SOTA lovers this situation is not good!

Italy has a heritage of the Alps and Apennines indescribable. Not to mention all the minor peaks!

It is now 8 days since I posted my message on the reflector asking stations who are claiming points for my voided activation of Le Cornate I/TO-314 on 1st July 2015 to remove their contacts from the database.

Out of 30 stations claiming points only two have removed their contacts! Thank you EA2LU (George) and GB2IWM.

This leaves the following 28 SOTA Chasers who continue to claim an activation with a summit which has never been activated:

I will now start the painstaking process of e-mailing these 28 stations individually via QRZ.COM to try to get them to remove these non-SOTA contacts from the database.

73 Phil G4OBK

I have now e-mailed the above 27 SOTA Chasers via the e-mail addresses listed in QRZ.COM. Amazingly not one message has yet bounced! Let’s see how many invalid QSOs will now be removed. I’ll revisit the database in around 10 days to check.

Th only operator who does not have an e-mail address registered on QRZ.COM from the above list is DL2HWI, who is claiming a QSO with me on Le Cornate on 10 and 14 MHz.

73 de Phil G4OBK

Bad luck Phil,
Yes I found out several times that good preparation is useful, butt xxx happens.
Sure in Italy you have to be careful, I found out myself. Ones the so called top was over the top in a ravine.
Ones I was driving around in S5 or OK? Looking for a mountain and locals said there were no high spots in more than 30 Kim’s… All done talking with hand and feet.
Unforntionally some SOTA
summits have names not even locally known.
Well navigation is part of the fun.
GL Hans

HI Hans

Yes, same experience for me also! At least I did activate one valid Italian summit. Let’s see what happens to the Italian Association when the mettle is eventually grasped. In the meantime I will travel to other countries for the SOTA activations and stay away from Italy!

73 Phil

Hi Phil,

A lttle late, but I deleted our “SOTA-QSO”

73, Sake

Thanks Sake and the many others who have responded off the reflector

I’m getting a really good response to the e-mails. I’ll re-input my invalid log in a week and see who is left claiming for the void Le Cornate actviation then.

73 Phil

Dear All

Thank you to the 20 operators who responded to my e-mail message and have removed the void contacts they were claiming for a QSO with I/G4OBK/P on Le Cornate I/TO-314 on 01/Jul/2015 which was not legitimate.

There remains 8 SOTA Chasers who are still claiming points for an invalid “activation”. These are:

OE3KAB (e-mailed via QRZ.COM address)
DF5WA (e-mailed via QRZ.COM address)
G3VXJ (e-mailed via QRZ.COM address)
DK7ZH (e-mailed via QRZ.COM address)
OK1ACF (e-mailed via QRZ.COM address)
YO9IPF (e-mailed via QRZ.COM address)
OE5FSL (e-mailed via QRZ.COM address)
DL2HWI (2 QSO) no e-mail address in QRZ.COM

I can do no more than I have done in clearing this issue up.

73 Phil G4OBK

Phil you have done an incredible work, your ham spirit is incredible.

Read here:

Nearly the same problem.

73 de IN3AQK

That’s only a handful now Phil… I may decide to put my Grim Reaper’s hat on and do some culling later today.

This database is clean… :smiley:

Thank’s Andy - almost purged. OE3KAB is still showing though in “Show who chased me” and for some reason EB2JU has appeared and is claiming a QSO with I/G4OBK on that summit at 0958z! If you can clear those two I will delete the fake activator log entry I put in. If not possible I’ll just delete the fake log anyway later today.

Thanking you for your efforts.

Phil G4OBK

IN3AQK Paulo said: Phil you have done an incredible work, your ham spirit is incredible.

Thank’s for your comments Paulo. I think we now all know the mess that SOTA Italy is in!

73 de Phil

1 Like