Hurricane Ophelia - Periscope Down

EI/GI/G Ops - stay safe today.

1 Like

To the continent Ophelia brought a mass of warm air over the weekend that slipped over the cold layers close to the ground - and so a very nice inversion layer formed resulting in good conditions throughout central europe. :sunglasses:

Nevertheless, stay save on the British Isles.

Ahoi
Pom

1 Like

Howling on the West Coast here Jim…On nights tonight & where I work is on top of the cliffs overlooking the Irish Sea. Might blow out by then???

3 Likes

A brisk afternoon here - tomorrow I will be putting up the G5RV again!:cry:

1 Like

I was in Stoke-on-Trent yesterday - Monday 16th October 2017 - visiting a GCSE student for some maths tutoring. However, when I got there, she decided she didn’t want to do any maths and refused to engage with any activity. Reminded me of teaching in a nearby school in Stoke-on-Trent - just like the old days.

With a bit of spare time as a result, and no exercise since Thursday due to being constantly on the road for gigs, I decided to walk up The Cloud G/SP-015 on the way home - just like the old days. I didn’t have my logbook with me, so grabbed a piece of paper out of my glove compartment. Fortunately, I did have fleece, coat, hat, pencil and charged-up VX7 HT in the car!

It was pretty breezy on Cloud summit, but this distant arm of Hurricane Ophelia was not at all disruptive. Then again, I probably wouldn’t have tried to erect a proper VHF antenna, or HF dipole or groundplane in these conditions.

On 2m FM, I made four contacts - just like the old days.

1 Like

LOL! In my schooldays (more than 60 years ago), such intransigence was speedily resolved by the application of the “Lochgelly Special”. GM4TOE will know what that means!

:laughing:

Walt (G3NYY)

It was pretty gusty here, the 7mm nylon cord holding the far end of my antenna snapped like a carrot, probably due to the tree support whipping in a strong gust. The orange sky will probably be a more enduring memory, though…

I was up on Orrest Head (viewpoint East of Windermere) yesterday lunchtime and the sky indeed was a sight to behold! At that time the wind was very light and it was very mild.

Today felt more like Autumn again and the sky was a normal shade of gray for the Lakes! :joy:

Regards, Mark. M0NOM

I have no words…

Hi Walt,

My XYL - Anne - GM4UXX still has her’s. A bit of an heirloom. She never really used it in her 40 yrs of teaching. Though I on the other hand was a recipient of quite a few issues of the said beast of Lochgelly by various teachers. And I was innocent - I tell you!

And it never did me any harm, harm, harm …

(;>J

ROTFL! I understand they are something of a collectors’ item nowadays.

Yes, I had the misfortune to have my “fingers warmed” on numerous occasions during my schooldays. It was particularly painful on frosty winter mornings, when one’s fingers were already frost-bitten!

Happy memories …
:grin:

Walt (G3NYY)

Adults in a position of responsibility, assaulting children under their care, within educational establishments, has been illegal for many years now - since long before the start of my own teaching career nearly a quarter of a century ago. Astonishing that this wasn’t always the case really!

1 Like

Returning to topic, it was “periscope up” for me last night on Long Mynd G/WB-005 for the 23cm UKAC. The wind had dropped to the slightest breeze, as forecast, and I was lucky to enjoy another dry evening’s entertainment.
I was able to set up by ambient light, which, as far as I could tell, was street lighting reflected off the smooth cloud cover, there being no sign of moon or stars. Conurbations visible throughout a quadrant from Shrewsbury to the north, through Telford and Wolverhampton to Birmingham in the east. The cloud glowing brightly above all of them. Optical NVIS?

42 contacts; ODX 284Km. Heard GM and PE, but they couldn’t hear my QRP signal.

A similar geographic distribution to the previous four sessions, with surprisingly few stations to the south east - I must look at the distribution of those submitting logs in order to understand this.

2 Likes

Good stuff Adrian. After spending an hour trying to get Visual Studio 2013 to run last night, I gave up an measured the performance difference between my double and double-double quad using the local beacon and Spectran. A clear 3dB RX improvement could be seen. Then I did what I should have done earlier and rebooted the PC and VS2013 started working.

I’d suggest knocking up a 23cms version of the double-double quad as it would still be a light and managable antenna for SOTA. Performance like a 10-12 ele yagi ISTR.

Yes, I liked your antenna posting Andy, and it does seem well suited to SOTA especially with the plastic box enclosure. Something like that would make a wet activation possible - though that could be a mixed blessing :wink:

I’m toying with the idea of mounting the transverter in the same box behind the backplane, so that the “feeder” only has to carry the 144MHz IF, and so can be a few metres of nothing-too-special coax. The SG Labs transverter can be configured to take DC power from the IF coax, or to use it for TX/RX control, either of which reduces the number of interconnecting cables required.