How to get an 817 through customs

In reply to MM0FMF:

However, once you’ve landed at Madeira you’ll never worry about LiPo packs as
they are pathetic on the scary-scale compared to that approach and landing :frowning:

LOL! Have you tried Gibraltar? It’s a VERY short runway, projecting out into the sea at both ends … and with a busy main road crossing it, controlled by traffic lights!
:slight_smile:

Walt (G3NYY)

I was tannoyed, and asked to go open my checked baggage on the tarmac by security at Nairobi in January. They were concerned by the mass of wires and electronics, apparently…

73, Rick M0LEP

In reply to M0LEP:

My XYL is now available to hire at a bargain rate after I let her adjust the room AC and she managed to get the AC onto heat not cool. Must have been edging 35C when we got back.

The immediate cure would appear to be a lot more Coral. :wink:

Andy
CT9/MM0FMF

In reply to MM0FMF:

I had more trouble persuading the baggage check-in people to allow me to carry a couple of LiPOs in my cabin luggage (in separate fire proof bags) than any issue with the FT-817, antenna, cables, morse key, headphones, etc. All that lot went straight through security at Birmingham without a hitch. I got stopped at Faro on the way back at security, but they’d obviously seen it all before and I was on my way in less than a minute. Having a copy of the licence with the kit may have helped… and besides, who else but an amateur would use a straight key nowadays? :slight_smile:

73, Gerald, CT7/G4OIG/P August 2012

Note - a copy of the IATA regs on batteries (courtesy of Dave M0TUB) helped “solve” the LiPO issue. I took mine fully charged with the terminals taped up. I don’t see that having them charged is any more dangerous than when they are discharged. It is when LiPOs are connected to an external power source, e.g. when being charged, that problems can occur.