How do you gain points?

Hi everyone.
I’m a newbie to this but I like the idea of combining interests.
I can’t seem to find out exactly how the points system works.
I know you get points for activating a summit (4 qso’s) but do you get points for each contact made on the summit?
When chasing, what is the value of points you get for say, making a contact from someone on Snowdon?

I’m not really in it for the points (just looking for some fun days out) but just want to make sure I understand the system.

I am planning my first activation on Dec 13 (Tryfan and Glyder Fawr if the weather permits.

Cheers
Kevin G0PEK

In reply to G0PEK:

It’s all explained in the rules and guideline documents which you can find here: Summits on the Air

Details about the summits in each Association can be found here: Summits on the Air

Chasers get points for valid contacts with each activator.
Activators get points for each summit they activate.

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to MM0FMF:
Many thanks
Checked the rules, seems straightforward enough.
Looking forward to my first activations.

Kev
G0PEK

In reply to MM0FMF:

Chasers get points for valid contacts with each activator.

They can count a summit once per day … i.e. if they contact the same summit again tomorrow, it will count again for points.

Activators get points for each summit they activate.

But only once per individual summit each year. I have activated the same summit multiple times this year, but could only claim points once. It has always seemed to me that there is something of an imbalance here, although I do understand the rationale behind it … it’s to encourage activators to go to as many different summits as possible. But some activators have only a very limited number of summits within easy travelling distance (e.g. in East Anglia).
:slight_smile:

Anyway, points-earning, for me, is a minor consideration. I do the activations for the enjoyment, even if I get no points for repeat activations.

Walt )G3NYY)

In reply to G3NYY:

…it’s to encourage activators to go to as many different summits as possible. :slight_smile:

Some of us don’t need encouraging!

73, Gerald G4OIG

In reply to G4OIG:

In reply to G3NYY:

…it’s to encourage activators to go to as many different
summits as possible. :slight_smile:

Some of us don’t need encouraging!

Tee hee! Yes, Gerald, I know your passion has been to activate uniques … and G3CWI has activated every summit in G and GW. In contrast, my database “activation” score shows that I have just about the lowest average points per activation in the table. But I still have a lot of fun!

Walt (G3NYY)

In reply to G3NYY:

But I still have a lot of fun! :slight_smile:

And long may it so remain Walt.

73, Gerald G4OIG

I certainly have the lowest average points per activation of anyone that has achieved MG or the Activator 250 Uniques award!

Marc G0AZS has a lower average than you Walt! I would love to have a 0.xy average like you guys, but I would need to do over 500 activations of The Cloud without visiting any others summits that would score points. Hmmm, now that does have a certain appeal…

Tom M1EYP

In reply to M1EYP:
Hrmph… I had better find time to get out and do another “pointless” activation before the year end otherwise I risk picking up a point and spoiling my average! :slight_smile:

73 Marc G0AZS

In reply to G0AZS:

Hrmph… I had better find time to get out and do another
“pointless” activation before the year end otherwise I risk
picking up a point and spoiling my average! :slight_smile:

Well, you are welcome to monopolise Wendover Woods, Marc! The last time I went there, I was scared off by yobs with 12-bore shotguns taking pot shots at my SOTA pole!

Walt (G3NYY)

In reply to G3NYY:
Interesting… that has never happened to me (although it’s the sheep that terrify me) and indeed I was up there yesterday for a family walk (no radio) with no such problems.

I don’t suppose they were shouting “…this is a local hill for local people…” were they? :slight_smile:

73 Marc G0AZS

In reply to G3NYY:

But only once per individual summit each year. I have activated the
same summit multiple times this year, but could only claim points
once. It has always seemed to me that there is something of an
imbalance here, although I do understand the rationale behind it …
it’s to encourage activators to go to as many different summits as
possible. But some activators have only a very limited number of
summits within easy travelling distance (e.g. in East Anglia).

I understand why they only allow points per summit once per year but perhaps they may consider changing it to allow the points to be counted 2 times a year per summit with a minimum of a 6 month gap between either activation that would help towards keeping the costs of travel down especially in the current economical climate.

Darius OK7OK

In reply to G0PEK:

Hi Kevin,

just to possibly confuse you even more,

You can do any summit above 2 points in the summer,and if you do it again in the winter of the same year: you wont get the 2 points for it but will achieve the 3 winter bonus points??

Thats if points are important to you, once you start the competitive SOTA Bug will bite!! Hi Hi

Good luck with the activation (those two you are planning to do will give you 6 winter bonus points as you are doing them after December 1st!

Tony

In reply to OK7OK:

perhaps they may consider changing it to allow the points to be
counted 2 times a year per summit with a minimum of a 6 month gap
between either activation that would help towards keeping the costs of

I understand your point, though I’m not so sure on how this would be implemented–you gotta think of last year and next year and soon enough it becomes like trying to plan vacation days according to the lunar year (think Easter).

I think if anyone is looking for an easy fix (if such an idea were to fly) it would be: points allowed twice a year, once during “normal hours” and once during the bonus period (then what about those associations with no bonus?).

All of this is, however, devil’s advocate, as I’m perfectly happy with the once a year rule and as a result, have been prodded to explore many new corners that I would otherwise never in my life have dreamt of going to…(but I still do wince when I think about the gas…)

73 de Jason
HL4/W2VLA

In reply to G0AZS:
(although it’s sheep that terrify me)

I had a similiar experience going up GM/ES-071 Hill of Foundland

Meet Mr Grumpy!!! Hill of Foundland 013 | Michael Gerrard | Flickr

Mike
MM0ROV

In reply to G0AZS:

(although it’s the sheep that terrify me)

Sheep? Baa!

Sheep I can handle (cf Walbury Hill) but it was the big black cattle on Butser Hill that got me twitchy.

Imgur

I had phones on, and the first I knew of them was when the first snorted on my neck… and I turned to see a herd of about 30 of em!

The biggest audience I’ve had yet, when operating…

And even more scary those on Castle Bottom NNR (WFF GFF-121 activation)… it was very foggy hence the poor picture.

Imgur

Andrew

In reply to M6ADB:

In reply to G0AZS:

(although it’s the sheep that terrify me)

Sheep? Baa!

I have no objection to sheep. They are quite friendly. But you should never get between a cow and its calf!

With regard to sheep, I have come to the conclusion that they can read Morse because if I switch the speaker on when operating CW on a summit, invariably the sheep all gather round to listen!

Walt (G3NYY)

In reply to G3NYY:

The first time I activated May Hill (WB-019) I was seated on one of the benches operating when it suddenly felt as if there was an earthquake happening - I looked up as a herd of about 20 ponies galluped up and started sniffing around me, probably hoping for the odd apple! Fortunately they soon lost interest because they can nudge your arm quite strongly. Probably less dangerous than the small children that come and pull on the antenna wire, but quite a shock when they arrived at speed.

Brian G8ADD

In reply to G3NYY:

invariably the sheep all gather round

Mrs. FMF always packs a some extra tasty grub when she comes on an activation with me. The only time we’ve had sheep not run away was when she got the Battenberg out (cake not the last Viceroy of India).

:wink:

Andy
MM0FMF