Hope to make first SOTA activation this week

Well… I’m on vacation from San Diego, and I’m hoping to activate from DL/BE-050 and DL/BE-018 this week. I’ve got the FT-857 with a buddipole antenna and a great battery… so hopefully it will work out ok. I’ve set up the station here in Munich, and I was able to work several stations without any trouble. I think I will set it up from 20 meters. I’m glad someone told me about SOTA… I think it’s something we could all use!
Regards,
Scott DL/N6PG

In reply to N6PG :
U lucky! 40 is hot hot in the Europe SOTA world in the morning.

Enjoy and welcome!

JP VA2SG

In reply to N6PG :

Scott,

since BE-18 is a couple of hours walking each way (no matter which way you go) you may consider taking a smaller battery.

Staffelalm (http://www.kochel.de/index.php?id=2229,6) is a nice place to get food and beverages - located just before final ascent to BE-18.

Gerd.

In reply to DF9TS:
Thanks Gerd.

I have this bat

Which is 737 grams. I’ve had good luck using the nano-phoshphate batteries. They keep the voltage up above 11v much longer than other batteries I’ve used. I don’t need a voltage booster and they charge quick without damage and safely. I’m taking one up and I’ll be SSB, so hopefully I’ll have some luck with it. I’m just trying to decide which band to set up on. I set up in the attic in Munich and I was able to work Oman… Which is a new one for me. That’s not easy from the west coast of the US.
Regards,
Scott

In reply to N6PG:

Scott,

I am also using a buddipole (3m long) and any band 40m and up is working fine. 3W/CW on 40m from these summits works nicely for the whole of Europe in daytime, so your FT-857 should be doing fine. 20m should be good for US.

Startingpoint for Rabenkopf is Kochel (Mittenwalderstrasse)at back of parking place of Dorst factory, then follow signs.

Gerd.