Home brew from SOTA activation

On Monday 3rd August, I made a return visit to Carnedd y Filiast, GW/NW-032, parking alongside Llyn Celyn walking up through the forest, and following the track to the summit. It is a pleasant enough walk. Apart from a couple of steep sections, and a stream crossing, it is possible to march along at a good pace. This was particularly welcome on an overcast day with a chilly breeze blowing. It took me about 1 hour and 40 minutes to reach the top.

I set up on 2m FM with my Wouxon Handheld, and wire J pole on 5m fishing pole. Curiously, the wind sounded stronger than it was, and I was surprised at how easily the pole stood - I had considered just using half of it.

As soon as I switched on, I heard G6PJZ/P on Pen y Ghent, and so I started off well with an S2S in the log. Towards the end of the run, I caught up with GW1PCR/P on Mynydd Troed for a second S2S. 18 stations logged in about 40 minutes, many familiar callsigns, and all friendly! Thank you all for the contacts. Perhaps with HF conditions sagging a little, VHF operation is looking more attractive.

On then to 10m, where a quick “QRL” on 28.061 raised an immediate “?” from EA1AER, leading to a QSO. Thank you for the spot, which led to 3 more CW contacts. After a few CQ calls went unanswered, I moved to SSB, where a self spot led to contacts with two more EA stations, plus OE6WIG and EI9GLB, Jim, who I had also worked on 2m FM. Thank you to all for the contacts.

By now, I was getting chilly despite the fleece hat and fingerless gloves. The first time I activated this summit, I was in shorts and tee shirt, and got sunburnt :smile:

On the walk up, I had noticed the healthy crop of what we in Shropshire call Whimberries, and having warmed up on the walk down, I paused to collect a few, which accounts for the title of this Topic, see photos -

Whimberry pie, mmmmm…

Adrian
G4AZS

5 Likes

That looks very scrummy!! It’s surprising what you find an activation. Today I came across a poster advising everyone that the barley being grown in the field I was about to walk through was being grown for Carling Lager.

73 Glyn

Thanks for the nice report Adrian. I hope you enjoyed the nice looking pie.
I was on a sota summit yesterday when I chased you during your activation, but I was there with two of my kids and inside the car so I used the callsign EA2IF/M without activating the summit. I hope I’ll be able to do it one of these days soon.
Best 73 de Guru.

I hope you stamped it flat!!

Adrian,

I am very jealous. Arenig Fawr and Moel Llyfnant are only just the other side of the lake, yet I found just one solitary little berry!

[Whimberry = bilberry = blaeberry]

Scandinavian activators - show us your cloudberries!

Simon

1 Like